New 2018 Polo GTI faults

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
gegege
New
Drives: polo GTI 2019

Re: New 2018 Polo GTI faults

Post by gegege »

@1100 Km.
No problems till now except annoying things such as:
- in/out circulation needs to put in "in" mode every new starting.
- Gauge meters oil temp and water temp need some times a refreshing to see the readings.
- No automatic lock on leaving the car.( I have it on the Mazda 3 2014)
- The panoramic sun roof cover is not opaque enough in high direct sun.
- Oil stick, it is very difficult to take it out.
- Very annoying to shut down the air conditioning with the (-) button
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

gegege wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:39 pm - Very annoying to shut down the air conditioning with the (-) button
Doesn't the GTI have climate control?
In which case the aircon should be left on all the time.
Some manufacturers have the default to ON now, you cannot switch the aircon off unless you ask.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 pm
gegege wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:39 pm - Very annoying to shut down the air conditioning with the (-) button
Doesn't the GTI have climate control?
In which case the aircon should be left on all the time.
Some manufacturers have the default to ON now, you cannot switch the aircon off unless you ask.
Climate is a £400-odd option even on the heavily specced GTI+. If you turn the temp dial to minimum then aircon comes on automatically with manual set up.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:09 pm Climate is a £400-odd option even on the heavily specced GTI+. If you turn the temp dial to minimum then aircon comes on automatically with manual set up.
Holy moly, I just assumed climate would be standard spec in that level of car. :shock:
Surprised you've just got the same set up as mine.
gegege
New

Post by gegege »

I have climate control in my car (standard here).
But some time the fan is too high - and I do not want to change the set temperature - to lower it automatically.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

gegege wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm I have climate control in my car (standard here).
But some time the fan is too high - and I do not want to change the set temperature - to lower it automatically.
High fan speed is common on climate control.
My Audis did it, my BMWs did it.
Can't you manually reduce the fan speed without changing the temperature?
gegege
New

Post by gegege »

Yes I can - but I have to use the little (-) button that I was complaining at the first place.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

gegege wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:45 pm
Yes I can - but I have to use the little (-) button that I was complaining at the first place.
So if I am guessing correctly, using the 'auto' button makes the fan go too high?
Remember you don't have to use auto.
You can set the temp, the fan speed and the vents to be used manually and it will still work.
I think people think switching auto off means the climate control stops working.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

My observation wrt climatic control on the 2019 GTI is that on start up the air con is ON but the bars in the LCD display (for fan speed) are missing, then reappear once the car is running a few seconds later. Almost like a delayed start feature.

I also find it odd that one uses the " - " button to turn the unit off completely.

Not sure if its relevant but my 2 cents all the same :p It's a really worthwhile option imho.
Cameronjg
New
Drives: 2018 Polo GTi (AW)

Post by Cameronjg »

My GTI is an Ex-Demo, I picked it up in late March, 6 months old and 2k on the clock. After approx 1500 miles (so 3500 I suppose) I started to experience an intermittent issue where the car just wouldn’t reverse. Reverse selected at a complete stop, some motive force could be felt as the car tries to drive backwards, then the revs would spike and the car would put itself into Neutral, with an on-screen prompt to “depress foot brake”. I phoned the garage to get it in, and unfortunately had to wait 2 weeks before they could offer a loan car. My car’s been with them since Tuesday, and after contacting VW Technical, they’re now awaiting a response from the factory (although i’m not privy to the exact details of their request)

So I’ll wait and see what comes of it, hopefully mine’s just a one off as I haven’t found any reports of the same fault anywhere else
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Cameronjg wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:52 am My GTI is an Ex-Demo, I picked it up in late March, 6 months old and 2k on the clock. After approx 1500 miles (so 3500 I suppose) I started to experience an intermittent issue where the car just wouldn’t reverse. Reverse selected at a complete stop, some motive force could be felt as the car tries to drive backwards, then the revs would spike and the car would put itself into Neutral, with an on-screen prompt to “depress foot brake”. I phoned the garage to get it in, and unfortunately had to wait 2 weeks before they could offer a loan car. My car’s been with them since Tuesday, and after contacting VW Technical, they’re now awaiting a response from the factory (although i’m not privy to the exact details of their request)

So I’ll wait and see what comes of it, hopefully mine’s just a one off as I haven’t found any reports of the same fault anywhere else
I've seen a YouTube clip where someone had a similar problem but included the active info:
https://youtu.be/1y1eIuOOhnU
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

gegege wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:39 pm @1100 Km.
- Gauge meters oil temp and water temp need some times a refreshing to see the readings.
- No automatic lock on leaving the car.( I have it on the Mazda 3 2014)
- The panoramic sun roof cover is not opaque enough in high direct sun.
@1750M's I concur:
Annoying yes, also did the same in my last model.
i know what you referring to now.
Like someone jammed in well tight at factory.
Agree.
PoloGtIM7
New
Drives: Polo GTI mk7

Post by PoloGtIM7 »

Hi everyone

Hope your keeping safe and well 😉

I have a problem with my Polo GTI Mk7 waited 12 months for the car to be built collected the car on 21/12/2019 and it developed a clunking/Rubbing sound so on 17/02/2020 they replaced rear brake pads thinking this was the problem which wasn’t and the sound is now ridiculously loud it’s been back in this Monday and they said VW are where there is a problem but currently there is no remedy for repair which I feel is poor anyone else with this problem ? Thanks Louie
Last edited by PoloGtIM7 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoloGtIM7
New
Drives: Polo GTI mk7

Post by PoloGtIM7 »

Hi everyone

I have a problem with my Polo GTI Mk7 waited 12 months for the car to be built collected the car on 21/12/2019 and it definitely clunking/Robin sound so on 17/02/2020 they replaced rear brake pads thinking this was the problem which wasn’t and the sound is now ridiculously loud it’s been back in this Monday and they said VW are where there is a problem but currently there is no remedy for repair which I feel is poor anyone else with this problem ? Thanks Louie
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

PoloGtIM7 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:36 pm Hi everyone

I have a problem with my Polo GTI Mk7 waited 12 months for the car to be built collected the car on 21/12/2019 and it definitely clunking/Robin sound so on 17/02/2020 they replaced rear brake pads thinking this was the problem which wasn’t and the sound is now ridiculously loud it’s been back in this Monday and they said VW are where there is a problem but currently there is no remedy for repair which I feel is poor anyone else with this problem ? Thanks Louie
I bet it's the tailgate.
As an experiment, put a cloth in between the car and the tailgate, close it and drive around.
If the noise stops, bob's your mother's brother.
Both my AW Polos have suffered from it.