New 2018 Polo GTI faults

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Keoghhhh
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

Re: New 2018 Polo GTI faults

Post by Keoghhhh »

I’ve been told the part they’re waiting on to fix my car is a wiring loom and I’ve been waiting for this part since February 1st. Apparently water got in and corroded the wiring loom. I know nothing about cars but even this sounds far fetched to me.. I have a feeling when my car was in the garage and a new door control panel unit was fixed I feel like VW messed up somewhere and actually corroded it themselves somehow. VW are point blank refusing to let me reject the finance despite all the faults I’ve had on my brand new car.
Keoghhhh
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

Post by Keoghhhh »

green justin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 am I just finished a 740 Mile/1200km trip on the GTI and i noticed a creaking sound too.

More pronounced going over very bumpy road at slow speeds. It sounds like it is under the drivers side dashboard.
Could be shock absorbers or a faulty dashboard I’ve had both these faults on my car and it sounded horrendous
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

VW were a mightmare with us (the company) when trying to reject a lemon of a Scirocco.
It broke down umpteen times, it spent more time in the workshop than on the road.
They sanctioned a replacement engine, the faults continued.
It took huge pressure from the dealer, who we gave a lot of car and truck business to, to get VW to replace it.
I really don't fancy the chances of a solo customer getting a rejection from VW at all.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Keoghhhh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 pm
green justin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 am I just finished a 740 Mile/1200km trip on the GTI and i noticed a creaking sound too.

More pronounced going over very bumpy road at slow speeds. It sounds like it is under the drivers side dashboard.
Could be shock absorbers or a faulty dashboard I’ve had both these faults on my car and it sounded horrendous
My friend has a 2017 Golf GTi he has a similar sound. He suspects it the shock absorbers too.

I can agree as I recall after being the road for hours. The noise was loud, so it be related to the shock being Warmish hot. Sounds like it has no lubrication or something.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

I Have identified the noise
green justin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:27 pm

My friend has a 2017 Golf GTi he has a similar sound. He suspects it the shock absorbers too.

I can agree as I recall after being the road for hours. The noise was loud, so it be related to the shock being Warmish hot. Sounds like it has no lubrication or something.
i can confirm the noise is much louder, upon investigation it seems to the steering wheel mechanism. Turning wheels left to right , i do hear a rubbing sound.

https://youtu.be/bt5VRgk9vJo
Chris001
New
Drives: GTi+ 2019

Post by Chris001 »

Thought I would share and add to the existing topic instead of starting a new one.....

After waiting a whopping 68 Weeks to take delivery of a GTi+ I picked up my new car Sunday 12/05.

Fault 1. Monday 13/05 (1 day later)- When engaging reverse I get a warning referencing the reverse light followed by a amber warning light indicating light failure.
I rang VW straight away to be told they think its a error to do with the rear light unit and will require a part ordering in (a whole light unit) which is not something they stock and will have to be expedited - at this point not to worried as its not a undrivable error and I can live with it utill its fixed - no problem....

Fault 2. Friday 17/05 - At this point Fault 1 has not been fixed and is still awating the part however I notice driving home that the wipers are abnormally slow..... to the point if you put the wipers on max speed they are even slower than the slowest setting so gives you some idea how slow.... Anyway I continue home and on pulling into my drive I get a Red warning light "12V battery not charging. Stop vehicle safely!" - so I am home anyway and figure well im not going out tonight I will ring VW tomorrow. I rang VW on opening the next morning - no one to recover the car as they are short staffed but I can go through VW breakdown and they will recover and sort a replacement hire car out - at this point im thinking sod this thats more hassle than its worth and I will be waiting around, I went and saw if the car would start (it did), turned off the stop start and all other not needed electrical equipment and risked the drive 30 mins to the the dealership and made it!

Got a call Monday 20/05 to tell me its not the alternator but a fault in the fuse box draining all the voltage out of the car??? Another part that they donot have in stock and will have to be expedited - but BTW the light unit has turned up for fault 1....

Just received the latest call to advise the fuse board / box whatever it is will not be at VW untill the 29th.....

So looks like I iwll have to stick to the not so quick / exciting Golf I have been loaned as a replacement for another week - not a great start - I swear I have the worst luck!

I am just so dissapointed at this point, having waited 68 Weeks to receive the car and to only own it for 6ish days before its had to be fixed is just unbelievable. The worst thing is in the 6 days I have owned it I have been at work so not even had the chance to take it out properly (that was due the weekend it went back).

I guess I will see what happens (not much more I can do) but I just hope this isnt a sign of things to come, I appreciate it new cars do have teething problems but it just sucks.

Confidence in car 0 at current.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Chris001 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 pm Thought I would share and add to the existing topic instead of starting a new one.....

After waiting a whopping 68 Weeks to take delivery of a GTi+ I picked up my new car Sunday 12/05.

Fault 1. Monday 13/05 (1 day later)- When engaging reverse I get a warning referencing the reverse light followed by a amber warning light indicating light failure.
I rang VW straight away to be told they think its a error to do with the rear light unit and will require a part ordering in (a whole light unit) which is not something they stock and will have to be expedited - at this point not to worried as its not a undrivable error and I can live with it utill its fixed - no problem....

Fault 2. Friday 17/05 - At this point Fault 1 has not been fixed and is still awating the part however I notice driving home that the wipers are abnormally slow..... to the point if you put the wipers on max speed they are even slower than the slowest setting so gives you some idea how slow.... Anyway I continue home and on pulling into my drive I get a Red warning light "12V battery not charging. Stop vehicle safely!" - so I am home anyway and figure well im not going out tonight I will ring VW tomorrow. I rang VW on opening the next morning - no one to recover the car as they are short staffed but I can go through VW breakdown and they will recover and sort a replacement hire car out - at this point im thinking sod this thats more hassle than its worth and I will be waiting around, I went and saw if the car would start (it did), turned off the stop start and all other not needed electrical equipment and risked the drive 30 mins to the the dealership and made it!

Got a call Monday 20/05 to tell me its not the alternator but a fault in the fuse box draining all the voltage out of the car??? Another part that they donot have in stock and will have to be expedited - but BTW the light unit has turned up for fault 1....

Just received the latest call to advise the fuse board / box whatever it is will not be at VW untill the 29th.....

So looks like I iwll have to stick to the not so quick / exciting Golf I have been loaned as a replacement for another week - not a great start - I swear I have the worst luck!

I am just so dissapointed at this point, having waited 68 Weeks to receive the car and to only own it for 6ish days before its had to be fixed is just unbelievable. The worst thing is in the 6 days I have owned it I have been at work so not even had the chance to take it out properly (that was due the weekend it went back).

I guess I will see what happens (not much more I can do) but I just hope this isnt a sign of things to come, I appreciate it new cars do have teething problems but it just sucks.

Confidence in car 0 at current.
This surely does sound like an alternator problem, doesn't it.
My wife had a new Fiesta years ago, it broke down on the first drive.
Turns out the alternator had never been connected up at the factory and it was just running off the 12V battery until that died.
Chris001
New
Drives: GTi+ 2019

Post by Chris001 »

My first thought too Andy - I have said whatever happens I do not want it back until the fault has been idetified and corrected.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

green justin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 am I Have identified the noise

i can confirm the noise is much louder, upon investigation it seems to the steering wheel mechanism. Turning wheels left to right , i do hear a rubbing sound.

Does the rubbing noise happen in the wet? If not, sounds like it's the fins/flaps of the rubber gaiters on steering set-up on either end rubbing off each other when you turn. A few Golf owners experiencing this in the dry.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Don't think it's a fault per se but I have noticed that the windscreen wipers make a sort of 'clicking' noise when they're on. It's not a problem when I've got music on but it's something that when you notice, it's annoying.

Luckily the weather is good at the moment so no need for them!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 pm Don't think it's a fault per se but I have noticed that the windscreen wipers make a sort of 'clicking' noise when they're on. It's not a problem when I've got music on but it's something that when you notice, it's annoying.

The wipers have a very loud relay - they click just before and just after every stroke.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 pm Don't think it's a fault per se but I have noticed that the windscreen wipers make a sort of 'clicking' noise when they're on. It's not a problem when I've got music on but it's something that when you notice, it's annoying.

The wipers have a very loud relay - they click just before and just after every stroke.
Ah okay. Glad it's nothing to worry about, just wish they were quieter. :|
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The wiper motor/linkage is the noisiest I've experienced in a car, probably ever.
I must compare it with another Polo, see if it's just mine.
A really noticeable whirring.
I posted a video of it when the car was new months ago.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:07 pm
green justin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 am I Have identified the noise

Does the rubbing noise happen in the wet? If not, sounds like it's the fins/flaps of the rubber gaiters on steering set-up on either end rubbing off each other when you turn. A few Golf owners experiencing this in the dry.
I’ve got a suspension noise that only appears after going over speed bumps or a rough patch of road. It’s going in Tuesday, will update afterwards on diagnosis/repair info.
YMK
New
Drives: Polo GTI AW

Post by YMK »

@5000 kms no major problem but the small things are annoying.
1. Handbrake Release button vibration noise
2. windscreen washer nozzle fail to shoot water out
3. front assist sensor malfunction
4. decorative panel for the driver side speak vibration