Launch control

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Launch control

Post by JMiddo94 »

Hello all

Does anyone know the exact procedure for enabling the launch program? I've tried it from stationary holding the Esp button down until it goes into sport and then engaging sport mode and it works, but if you try to do it when the car is already in sport and ESP sport mode it doesn't work, does this mean you have to manually repeat the process just before you wish to use the program? I can't see anything in the manual, maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Thanks
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Re: Launch control

Post by Bigtam »

AndyT
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by AndyT »

The video referenced still doesnt show how to activate launch control and is very poor. Can anyone simply explain how to set launch control. Is it even standard on the 2019 GTI or GTI Pus Polo?
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

Press and hold the ESP/Traction control button till ESC shows in sports mode. Bare in mind this will disable the driving assists like ACC and it turns off traction control. Set the driving mode to sport mode. Set gear selector to drive. Place your left foot on the foot brake and press firmly. Place right foot on the accelerator and plant it. The car will rev to about 3000rpm and you will see the dash say launch control active. When you are ready, release the foot brake and away you go.

I did the launch control about 5 times this way at the weekend just gone. However, once rolling, I did press the ESP button to turn back on traction as I was down some country roads. When I was ready to launch again I just pressed and held the ESP button to put the ESP back into sport ESP each time.

I don't know for sure if you have to keep turning the ESP to Sport and Normal between launches but that's what I did and didn't have any trouble with it.

I do remember reading that the DSG gearboxes do have a limit to how many launches they will allow before they demand a gearbox service. Don't know if that is the case with the Polo GTI and at what limit that is at.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Number of launches you can do varies from 10 to 200, depending on who you ask, some believe it to be an urban myth. Someone did dig out some coding once that appeared to show a pre-facelift Audi S3 with a count of 200 - that seems a hell of a lot! That pre-facelift S3 will have had same gearbox variant we have: DQ250.

Not something I am personally interested in doing.

The fact that VW have created the facility to do launch control and tell you how to do it in the manual should stop them from claiming you've abused the car in event of a warranty claim...you'd hope.
JMiddo94
New

Post by JMiddo94 »

I reckon I've done 20-25 launches so far, no issues here.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Haven't bothered.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AndyT
New

Post by AndyT »

Sorry to be a pain but even with the comprehensive description above if you follow it to the letter it doesn't make sense. If you manage to get if into launch mode how do you know (eg do you get a screen message saying launch control activated or similar)....... this is doing my head in as you can probably imagine..
JMiddo94
New

Post by JMiddo94 »

It says launch program active, to do it you need to:

Come to a stop
Hold the esp button until the traction control is in sport
Hold your foot firmly on the brake, put your foot on the accelerator (you can vary the revs for the launch, you don't have to use the full 3500 rpm)
You'll get a launch program active message.
Let your foot of the brake.
AndyT
New

Post by AndyT »

Thanks everyone for your perserverence with me :D Ive now managed to get it to do it although I think its a pretty poor design as only tells you that you are in launch control when you start to rev it with your foot on the brake. I was getting confused by statements like "Hold the esp button until the traction control is in Sport" as I think the message is actually TCS deactivated and wasnt sure if you had to do this before or after putting the mode into sport. I must admit after 1 or 2 plays with it I cant see myself ever using it (As a law abiding Pensioner that is :lol: ).

Many thanks again.
AndyT
l3rady
Bronze Member

Post by l3rady »

Had a few more times with the launch control this weekend and I can confirm that you don't have to keep putting the ESC into sport mode each time.

I did about 5 launches with only doing the setup part once.

There was one instance though where the launch program didn't activate and the engine tried to pull against the brake. I believe my brake and throttle inputs were not precise and obvious enough for it to figure out I actually wanted to launch.