How do people fund their new Polo

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: How do people fund their new Polo

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:06 am
mike sel wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 pm no not for the 300mile regular trip I do twice a month I can rely on Electric yet unfortunately. I need a fundamental battery breakthrough before im in. Min 300 mile real world winter capacity and recharge in a couple of hours. + I want to run aircon, lights and wipers on heater on. radio on sat nav on. I can currently do this in my polo. when they give me a 4 seat electric car that can do that for £20k I be all over it.
Probably not far away.
Plan for this to be your last ICE car, everyone should.
The longest part of that wait will be for the price point to drop to £20k for a small "family" capable car.

I still think that it'll be 10 years for the infrastructure to be in place to cope with even 1/3 of the cars on the road to be electric here in the UK - most ICE cars are going to be still running a minimum of 10 years after purchase unless a major accident has written them off. Just today I parked up next to a colleague's 02 reg MK4 Golf TDI - 17 years old, 187k miles on the clock and all's well except for some cosmetic rust around the front wing wheel arches. I don't think electric cars will outnumber ICE cars in this country before 2035.

Without the external charging infrastructure for mass ownership, people without a driveway or garage to charge at home are still going to be stuffed.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 am The longest part of that wait will be for the price point to drop to £20k for a small "family" capable car.
More and more e-cars coming though, like the e-308 and the e-corsa.
They're in the same sector as the Polo in terms of size.
Not my cup of tea, I don't like electric cars that can have an ICE variant, I prefer my EVs to be unmistakably electric only (Zoe/Leaf/i3 etc.)
But by christ they're comin thick and fast now, which will drive prices down.
I take your point about people without driveways having issues just now, but that will all change soon enough as well.
New build flats will have to have charge points as part of the design.
Existing flats and streets will also have them in time.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Just seen this deal for PCP on a GTi if people are looking at the moment https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vw-pol ... se-3245346
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MilgeS wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 am Just seen this deal for PCP on a GTi if people are looking at the moment https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vw-pol ... se-3245346
They're gone already, and it's not the +, so it's got bugger-all standard tech beyond electric windows and DCC.

Marginally cheaper than an undiscounted PCP purchase on the monthlies.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 am The longest part of that wait will be for the price point to drop to £20k for a small "family" capable car.
Not my cup of tea, I don't like electric cars that can have an ICE variant, I prefer my EVs to be unmistakably electric only (Zoe/Leaf/i3 etc.)
I take your point about people without driveways having issues just now, but that will all change soon enough as well.
I agree with your thinking, but new build flats will come with so many places for EV's, I also think new built houses should have solar panels fitted as standard. now how long will it take to put charging points outside houses that the front doors goes straight onto the pavement. Some places have street lights with charging points on them. So one street light for 10 houses, can you imagine all the leads running down the road, causing a trip hazard to the walking public, (health and safety) then your going to get the thieves who go around now pinching copper cable, will have a field day People with a 20 ft cable waking up in the morning finding someone's pinched their cable, do you think insurance companies will stand for that, and keep paying out, I don't think so.
Your idea of "existing flats and streets will also have them, not in your life time. People living if flats and buildings that have flammable cladding on them, will not remove it because of the cost, and that can save lives, let alone, providing external power for people with EV's.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 am
I agree with your thinking, but new build flats will come with so many places for EV's, I also think new built houses should have solar panels fitted as standard. now how long will it take to put charging points outside houses that the front doors goes straight onto the pavement. Some places have street lights with charging points on them. So one street light for 10 houses, can you imagine all the leads running down the road, causing a trip hazard to the walking public, (health and safety) then your going to get the thieves who go around now pinching copper cable, will have a field day People with a 20 ft cable waking up in the morning finding someone's pinched their cable, do you think insurance companies will stand for that, and keep paying out, I don't think so.
Your idea of "existing flats and streets will also have them, not in your life time. People living if flats and buildings that have flammable cladding on them, will not remove it because of the cost, and that can save lives, let alone, providing external power for people with EV's.
Just reading "AUTOCAR" dated 12th June 2019. Their write-up on "Why EV charging is flawed" on page 18.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

What do everyone usually choose for how many months too have their PCP?

I’m thinking about having mine over 36months
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

@silverhairs
I’ve not read the article, I can guess the predictable contents.
Yes, EV charging is difficult for some.
But why people who COULD switch to an EV use it as ammunition for not switching is beyond me.
Why worry about others when YOU could switch.
If I was retired I’d be going to solar panels and enjoying free daytime electricity and free car charging.