Debating on 18" vs 17" & Sport Select

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Debating on 18" vs 17" & Sport Select

Post by phillos »

Hi

TL;DR Torn between looks of 18" vs comfortable ride with 17" and Sport Select when needing the fun.

I've placed an order on a GTI currently specced with 18" alloys.
I currently drive a BlueGT with 17" rims and the Sport Select suspension.

In my BlueGT the NORMAL setting is very 'comforty' even with 17" summer rims, while the SPORT is nice and firm.

Now im super torn on the new GTI and the choice between 18" or 17" and Sport Select. For financial reasons I have to choose and can't have both.
I should say im in the EU and we dont have the GTI/GTI+ packages.
How is the Sport Select on Normal in the new polo, are the 18" rims alot less comfortable than the 17" ?
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Re: Debating on 18" vs 17" & Sport Select

Post by EmiLiuZ »

I haven't compared 18'' with 17''.

Mine runs on 18'' and those brescia alloys are fantastic to look at.
The normal suspensions is fairly comfortable but still with a sporty feel to it, while the sport suspension is really stiff.

I think it would be a shame to pass on the sport-sellect package due to its relatively low cost.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

phillos wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm Hi

TL;DR Torn between looks of 18" vs comfortable ride with 17" and Sport Select when needing the fun.

I've placed an order on a GTI currently specced with 18" alloys.
I currently drive a BlueGT with 17" rims and the Sport Select suspension.

In my BlueGT the NORMAL setting is very 'comforty' even with 17" summer rims, while the SPORT is nice and firm.

Now im super torn on the new GTI and the choice between 18" or 17" and Sport Select. For financial reasons I have to choose and can't have both.
I should say im in the EU and we dont have the GTI/GTI+ packages.
How is the Sport Select on Normal in the new polo, are the 18" rims alot less comfortable than the 17" ?
The 18s are not a hell of a lot less comfortable on Sport rather than normal. That being said, I find comfort is reliant as much on tyre choice as suspension setting.

Here in the UK, VW are putting Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on a GTI with 17" wheels and Bridgestone Turanza on the 18" wheel. The Michelins are nice and compliant, the Bridgestones are rock hard. I just changed mine out to Michelin PS4 and ride is much better, more so that the difference between suspension modes.

Can you choose the tyres your GTI will get in your native market?

The Brescias look a lot better to most. Try driving around in your car exclusively in Sport mode for a week, to see if you could live with it long term.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

I've driven both and the difference between the two in terms of ride comfort is barely noticeable, the Brescias look so much better than the Parker's in my opinion. Driving in normal mode the car is a lot more comfortable than my 6C GTI.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm
The 18s are not a hell of a lot less comfortable on Sport rather than normal. That being said, I find comfort is reliant as much on tyre choice as suspension setting.

Here in the UK, VW are putting Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on a GTI with 17" wheels and Bridgestone Turanza on the 18" wheel. The Michelins are nice and compliant, the Bridgestones are rock hard. I just changed mine out to Michelin PS4 and ride is much better, more so that the difference between suspension modes.

The Brescias look a lot better to most. Try driving around in your car exclusively in Sport mode for a week, to see if you could live with it long term.
No choice for tyres here unfortunately (Denmark), but interesting that they play such a big role on the ride. Honestly I would go mad if I had to drive in Sport (sport select) suspension all the time, thus the 18" with Bridgestones would drive me mad even on the stock sport suspension?

I'm leaning toward going for the 17"s and the Sport Select suspension, so I have the choice between comfort'ish and "massagechairs"
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

In the UK, I've vowed I wouldn't go any higher than 17" any more.
I've had 19" and 18" before, they are both just too susceptible to damage on our terrible roads. :cry:
The 19s especially, with 30 profile tyres, were repaired more than once and I found I had to avoid certain routes altogether (which is silly).
The wife's Kia Sportage has 19s, but with it being an SUV the tyre profiles are higher than a car and will soak up potholes more.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

phillos wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm

No choice for tyres here unfortunately (Denmark), but interesting that they play such a big role on the ride. Honestly I would go mad if I had to drive in Sport (sport select) suspension all the time, thus the 18" with Bridgestones would drive me mad even on the stock sport suspension?

I'm leaning toward going for the 17"s and the Sport Select suspension, so I have the choice between comfort'ish and "massagechairs"
Is select suspension an expensive option in Denmark? On the last Polo model, I'm sure it was around £230?

I have heard about the crazy taxes the Danes pay for cars, and most things! I used to work for a Danish company, and the Danes working in the Denmark plant used to be paid twice as much as the Brits in the UK plant, but their cost of living was doubled too.

Perhaps the Danish market isn't designated Bridgestone tyres on 18" Brescia wheels (If you're lucky).

17" wheels on Michelin Primacy is going to be a lot softer on a standard set-up than 18" on Bridgestones. If it was any other premium tyre like Michelin or Continental, I'd say the differences would be negligible.

How are the roads in Denmark? Nice and smooth, or potholed like a cluster-bombed runway?

The Bridgestones are noisy, hard, and offer poor grip.

Neither the Bridgestone Turanza nor Michelin Primacy are tyres suited for a hot hatch - they're touring tyres.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm
Is select suspension an expensive option in Denmark? On the last Polo model, I'm sure it was around £230?

I have heard about the crazy taxes the Danes pay for cars, and most things! I used to work for a Danish company, and the Danes working in the Denmark plant used to be paid twice as much as the Brits in the UK plant, but their cost of living was doubled too.

Perhaps the Danish market isn't designated Bridgestone tyres on 18" Brescia wheels (If you're lucky).

17" wheels on Michelin Primacy is going to be a lot softer on a standard set-up than 18" on Bridgestones. If it was any other premium tyre like Michelin or Continental, I'd say the differences would be negligible.

How are the roads in Denmark? Nice and smooth, or potholed like a cluster-bombed runway?

The Bridgestones are noisy, hard, and offer poor grip.

Neither the Bridgestone Turanza nor Michelin Primacy are tyres suited for a hot hatch - they're touring tyres.
Sport Select is 460 GBP (4000 DKK), 18" Brescia 691 GBP (6000). You're absolutely right about the crazy taxes, but luckily since this is a lease, im only paying about 70% of the value of the extras. That helps a bit.

I checked a couple of used listnings and all cars with 18" alloys had Bridgestones on them, buggers!

Roads are quite decent, I know my commute and know where the holes are, so I avoid them.

I absolutely love the 18" alloys, but with a baby on the way I need it to also be a daily driver. So 17" and Sport Select it is :) Thank you so much for your help.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I have the 17" Wheels with the Standard Primacy 3s and Sports Select, as it's standard on UK spec cars. I haven't tried any other tyres or indeed 18" Brescias.

My driving is 95% Commuting and I spend over two hours in the car each day, mainly on motorways so I find the relative compliance of the 17s and Primacy 3s a good combination with the ability to go into sport or individual mode on the occasion that I get to drive the car for enjoyment. I like the adaptive dampers and if I had the choice would take these over the bigger wheels, although having heard a lot of reports that fundamentally no significant compromise in in terms of ride of the 18s over the 17s, I would be tempted to go for Brescias (in conjunction with Sports Select) if I were to spec a car again.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

Thanks for the input :)

I contacted my dealer today and changed my spec to include the standard 17" alloys and the Sport Select w/ performance kit. Seeing these photos made it a sure deal for me, I think the car looks much more composed with 17"

Thank you Dan34 for posting these awesome shots of his car. Mine will be exactly the same.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

haha no problem!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Is there a photo of one with 18s to compare?
The arches still look a bit empty with the 17s.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 am Is there a photo of one with 18s to compare?
The arches still look a bit empty with the 17s.
Pictures of Monkeyhanger’s red GTI+ on 18” Brescia’s at the link below (5th post down on page 7). This is before he got new tyres fitted, so it’s on the factory fitted Bridgestone tyres;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70453&start=90

Whether the GTI has 17” or 18” wheels, with the factory fitted tyres (Bridgestone Turanza on 18” wheels or Michelin Primacy on 17” wheels), the arch gap will essentially be virtually the same because the overall diameter and circumference of the wheel+tyre changes very little, which means the ride height also changes very little;

18” Factory fit Brescia alloys (7.5Jx18” ET51) and 215/40 R18 tyres - diameter; 629.2mm, circumference; 1,976.7mm

17 Factory fit Parker alloys (7.5Jx17” ET51) and 215/45 R17 tyres - diameter; 625.3mm, circumference; 1,964.4mm

Difference in ride height between the two; 1.95mm.

You’d need to lower the car if you wanted a reduced arch gap.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Oooh, the 18s do look nice....
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:38 am Oooh, the 18s do look nice....
Shhhss now :P Yes they look the part! I also like to believe that VW engineers designed and tuned the suspension with the 17" alloys, why else would they be the standard fit? Im probably singing for the choir here :)