Polo GTI security systems (THUMPS UP)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Polo GTI security systems (THUMPS UP)

Post by Andy Beats »

alexperkins wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 pm
I saw a guy earlier on his iphone in a brand new audi a6, which has carplay, and it has bluetooth. Not much of an excuse really is there...
Absolutely no excuse, no.
But where are the police to enforce the phone law?
Police cars in Aberdeen are so rare.... :cry:
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Oh well there's a whole new debate.. numbers cut and often too busy investigating who's been offended in person or online.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I must admit I tend to get really annoyed with people on phones, young female drivers being the worst up here.
You can see their eyes in their rearview mirror, glancing down all the time.
Blast of the horn then, when I know they're looking at me, I show them I can see they're on their phone.
They invariably give you the finger in return, would you expect anything else? :roll:
I mean, don't be humble that you've been caught, be aggressive! :lol:
But at least they know they've been clocked.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am Oh well there's a whole new debate.. numbers cut and often too busy investigating who's been offended in person or online.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
More than a hint of truth there, our youngest daughter was across in Pittsburgh doing some presentation work for her company, we knew that she was taking her local support team out for drinks the last night prior to flying home to London, so, when my wife got a text at 09:00 UK time saying that everything was okay but she was in hospital with a broken femur and was getting operated on very soon - after falling down stairs, please buy me a £20 EE topup card - we believed it, not like her but possible as she was mainly using her boyfriend's new but still unused phone with a pay as you go card to back up her EE contract iphone which was giving trouble! Well, after her boyfriend in London, contacted her, ie wakened her up at maybe 04:00 Pittsburg time, I started trying to cancel that top up card - impossible EE just credited my EE mobile bill, we contacted the local police,which is what you should do to report all scams it seems, and thought no more about it.
Six months on, after an initial police visit, we are still getting monthly updates - why don't the police association approach central government to try to stop this happening instead of trying to locate someone, somewhere in the world, who actually was responsible for sending out that message, letting any scammer or terrorist buy phone SIM cards without prove of identity is not really smart.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 am I had a completely normal city driving distance to him. He smashed he brakes in order to do the left turn as if he forgot that he had to turn. I couldn't possibly react in time at 50 km/h. Calling me a bad driver without being a part of the situation is tasteless.
I don't know about Denmark, but in UK lots of people are very careful when near Volvos because they are thought to be so safe that their drivers don't need to bother about giving warning of changing direction or stopping, actually SAAB drivers behave in a similar manner (I know this because that is how my mate behaves when driving his SAABs).

Maybe Danes should be a bit more careful about who they allow to drive across that bridge!
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:56 am
EmiLiuZ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am This morning on my way to work the car in front of me suddenly wanted to take a left turn without using his turn signal. I must say that i was rather impressed with the emergency brakes. If the feature wasn't there I would had ended up in the back of a volvo.
Sorry, but exactly how would you have ended up in the back of the car?
Lack of observation?
Too close?
It's entirely wrong to have to thank technology for saving you here, you should have been able to save yourself.
Thumbs DOWN to your driving. :|
WOW. We are human. Humans make mistakes :)
It's almost like your against technology. I love the safety features - particularly the crumple zones and air bags cars have these days.

But i haven't been driving as long as you so i am probably inexperienced

So far it's one of the best car's i have owned personally and love it! :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Poachersun wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:54 am
WOW. We are human. Humans make mistakes :)
It's almost like your against technology. I love the safety features - particularly the crumple zones and air bags cars have these days.

But i haven't been driving as long as you so i am probably inexperienced

So far it's one of the best car's i have owned personally and love it! :D
I'm against some technology, for sure.
Especially technology that does stuff completely unexpectedly.
Poachersun
New
Drives: 2018 POLO GTI

Post by Poachersun »

To be fair, it has done that unexpectedly a few times to me! Had plenty of room to stop lol, but it didnt think so.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PoloGIT+
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGIT+ »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am This morning on my way to work the car in front of me suddenly wanted to take a left turn without using his turn signal. I must say that i was rather impressed with the emergency brakes. If the feature wasn't there I would had ended up in the back of a volvo.

Another thing that I've got is the blindspot sensors. Sure they are good to have in everyday driving, but where they shine is when you have to reverse out of a parking spot. Most of the time you won't have sufficient vision in smaller city parking spots, but the blindspot sensors are excellent at detecting if cars will come behind you as you reverse since you're unable to see it.
I’m looking forward to these safety features too, I’m sure they will get me out of some otherwise bad situations! :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Just read this on another forum, where the possibility of these safety 'aids' actually causing risk is being discussed:

I've heard multiple people say AEB (auto emergency braking) cuts in for no reason now and I know at least one person who was lucky enough to walk away after hers activated for no reason causing the truck behind her to hit the back (also a Polo, funnily enough).
Yes the truck should have been further back and so on but even she said he wasn't tailgating her or speeding or whatever - he was just following normally on a 40mph DC.
Also on a slight bend while going past a wall.

So, assuming the above is to be believed, the 'safety' system on the Polo has caused at least one owner to have an accident they wouldn't otherwise have had.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I think the AEB tech still has some way to come to work out what is and isnt a false alarm

On my Q7, the pre-sense (audible warning only, never got to the brake stage) has kicked in a few times and you are looking around thinking what exactly is the issue its seen!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

alexperkins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm I think the AEB tech still has some way to come to work out what is and isnt a false alarm
Certainly appears to be so.
In which case, surely owners should be given the opportunity to switch it off permanently....?
PoloGIT+
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGIT+ »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:33 pm
alexperkins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm I think the AEB tech still has some way to come to work out what is and isnt a false alarm
Certainly appears to be so.
In which case, surely owners should be given the opportunity to switch it off permanently....?
I believe it forms part of the Euro NCAP rating (in pedestrian safety) so the manufacturers might not want it disengaged :P