New Polo On Top Gear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: New Polo On Top Gear

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:14 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm Just watched The Grand Tour segment with the GTI, ST and Yaris. Felt all three cars came across well, the price of the Yaris is ridiculous though!

Was shocked that the GTI managed to beat the ST in the end, given the weight of the Polo. Definitely worth a watch for anyone who's ordered/got a GTI. :)
There's no replacement for displacement (the ST is a 3 pot 1.5 now). Its a common conception that VW do tend to understate output.

I tried to see what rubber the GTI was on. There was a close-up of a wheel, but it was dirty. Didn't look like a Bridgestone Turanza though.
Yeah I was trying to spot the tyres myself, would be interested to know what they used for this segment. I'm keeping an eye out for the ones you swapped to and hopefully I can pick some up at a good price when the car arrives (hopefully the next 4-6 weeks).

Funny how they were driving a LHD GTI, maybe even the Grand Tour had problems getting their hands on a RHD version. :lol:
There's a general Michelin cashback cam0aign for March and April. The place that fitted mine would've matched the Costco price to buy them there, take into account the £80 cashback and you're talking £320 a set.

Costco have their specific offer on the Michelins as of yesterday, for a fortnight.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

It was interesting to watch Clarkson in the Polo GTi win the drag race against the ST. Last month Lovecars with Tiff Needell who was gushing about the ST got his backside handed to him by the Polo GTi in another drag race. What also impressed me about the Tiff video was the braking 60-0 test were the Polo stopped two to three car lengths quicker than the ST.

https://youtu.be/e6hRDcbpW1I
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Cadwest wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 am It was interesting to watch Clarkson in the Polo GTi win the drag race against the ST. Last month Lovecars with Tiff Needell who was gushing about the ST got his backside handed to him by the Polo GTi in another drag race. What also impressed me about the Tiff video was the braking 60-0 test were the Polo stopped two to three car lengths quicker than the ST.

https://youtu.be/e6hRDcbpW1I
I've seen that already, is funny how the Polo spanks the Fiesta even though the guy driving it said he got a bad start, it's all about the torques and DSG, and the braking test was rather shocking how much better the Polo was!!
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 am There's a general Michelin cashback cam0aign for March and April. The place that fitted mine would've matched the Costco price to buy them there, take into account the £80 cashback and you're talking £320 a set.

Costco have their specific offer on the Michelins as of yesterday, for a fortnight.
Thanks mate. I'm looking on their website but nothing is coming up for me?
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 am There's a general Michelin cashback cam0aign for March and April. The place that fitted mine would've matched the Costco price to buy them there, take into account the £80 cashback and you're talking £320 a set.

I ordered 2 from here yesterday lunchtime and they arrived today, supply only as need for backup if I get a puncture, £87.60 then take 10% off offer, unfortunately I get stung for delivery too as classed as offshore https://www.blackcircles.com/

Also this offer https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/costco ... 19-3197721
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

MilgeS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 pm
S_94 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm

I ordered 2 from here yesterday lunchtime and they arrived today, supply only as need for backup if I get a puncture, £87.60 then take 10% off offer, unfortunately I get stung for delivery too as classed as offshore https://www.blackcircles.com/

Also this offer https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/costco ... 19-3197721
Thanks mate. :)
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

RyanH wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:14 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm

There's no replacement for displacement (the ST is a 3 pot 1.5 now). Its a common conception that VW do tend to understate output.

I tried to see what rubber the GTI was on. There was a close-up of a wheel, but it was dirty. Didn't look like a Bridgestone Turanza though.
Yeah I was trying to spot the tyres myself, would be interested to know what they used for this segment. I'm keeping an eye out for the ones you swapped to and hopefully I can pick some up at a good price when the car arrives (hopefully the next 4-6 weeks).

Funny how they were driving a LHD GTI, maybe even the Grand Tour had problems getting their hands on a RHD version. :lol:
I can’t remember exacly which bit it was visible on but I’m pretty sure at one point you could see it was on Michelins. Couldn’t tell any more detail than that but definitely saw a Michelin logo at one point.
WOB NP 745 features on quite a few youtube videos, at the launch they were wearing Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. Close up at 3:35 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBfeD8KNKes&t=255s
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:19 am and the braking test was rather shocking how much better the Polo was!!
Could be the Polo just brakes better than the Fiesta, of course.
Could be something more cynical, it wouldn't be the first time a press fleet car is prepared differently from the cars you and I buy.
VW are proven cheats. :D