2019 GTI OPF

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

2019 GTI OPF

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Hi guys.

When i first tried to test drive the Polo GTI early last year it had all the pops and bangs. I was so exicited and shortly after i ordered my GTI, The salesmen did inform me that there was a bit of a waiting time but he didn't specify when I would be able to get the GTI and he didn't mention the fact that the OPF would be mounted and what issues that may had caused.

I received my GTI about two months ago. So yeah.. it is a 2019 model with the OPF. That OPF soundwise makes the GTI sound castrated. In order to implement the WLTP terms for the polo gti they had to make changes to the exhaust and even though that they have came up with a public statement that it wouldn't effect the sound it surely has done so. All the pops and bangs are gone when reving and when gear shifting.

Please do watch the two examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxtqMCzbHNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fvN5H ... tu.be&t=10

It still does have that "Papheew" bass sound though, but you can hardly notice it when you have your windows closed and I don't know what is artificial sound and what is not. As far as I've understood the GTI does not have a sound aktor, but a vibration technology that goes through your windshield.

I'm 25 years old and have invested a lot of money on this since it is basicly now that I'm able to have a car that feels and sounds sporty before that I'm going to raise a family and a have a stationcar, and I'm really disapointed and sad about this.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Re: 2019 GTI OPF

Post by Griff74 »

Unfortunately petrol cars now need an OPF (or GPF as they are also known) fitted to be able to pass the new WLTP regs, it is a fact of life and they do affect the sound a car makes out of it's exhaust. If it really bothers you I know lots of people with VAG cars that have quieter than they like exhausts (looking at Leon Cupra's in particular) have had the centre box removed from their exhausts with great results (ie not too loud, improved sound, tone and pops and crackles), you can even have it done in such a way so it can be put back on when you sell\trade in the car and no one seems to have had any warranty issues afterwards either.

I would give your car some time though as sometimes it can take a good few 100 or even 1000 km before exhausts "wake up" but I do think that due to the GPF that 2019 Polo GTi's are going to be quieter to 2018 ones.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

You and me both. When I found out they killed the sound of the GTI with the 2019 OPF version I was immensely disappointed. I've also seen that VW document states that the sound is unchanged, that is a blatant lie! It does however still DSG fart a little! The two testers I've driven one was brand new 20miles on the clock, the other a couple thousands. They sounded very different, and the one with more miles on it had a much fuller sound and did pop a fart here and there. Not to be confused with the 2018 non-OPF version though.

What has truly baffled me is however that other cars such as the Mini Cooper with OPF manage to still sound amazing with pops and bangs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoAvYU20CY

I am seriously considering having my resonator section taken out on delivery or very soon after.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!

Post by EmiLiuZ »

phillos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 am You and me both. When I found out they killed the sound of the GTI with the 2019 OPF version I was immensely disappointed. I've also seen that VW document states that the sound is unchanged, that is a blatant lie! It does however still DSG fart a little! The two testers I've driven one was brand new 20miles on the clock, the other a couple thousands. They sounded very different, and the one with more miles on it had a much fuller sound and did pop a fart here and there. Not to be confused with the 2018 non-OPF version though.

What has truly baffled me is however that other cars such as the Mini Cooper with OPF manage to still sound amazing with pops and bangs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoAvYU20CY

I am seriously considering having my resonator section taken out on delivery or very soon after.
I'm currently at 800 kms. I haven't noticed any difference yet soundwise. It still does those DSG farts but only when forcing it and it is barely noticeable. Since mine is leased for 3 years I can't change anything about the car. I can only hope that the " had a much fuller sound and did pop a fart here and there." comes eventually. My enjoyment has gone and I feel stuck now.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

I too am looking at getting the centre resonator removed, has anyone had it done yet?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Either the sound insulation is excellent or the exhaust is very quiet, but I hardly ever hear anything remotely resembling bangs, pops or DSG farts on my pre WLTP GTI+, certainly nothing that listening to the radio at a moderate volume won't drown out.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Driving along, windows down and i get the DSG farts in my current model, giving it a bit of welly.
I was disappointed at the new 2019 exhaust sound or lack of. But hey there are worse things in life...list is endless. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 am
phillos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 am You and me both. When I found out they killed the sound of the GTI with the 2019 OPF version I was immensely disappointed. I've also seen that VW document states that the sound is unchanged, that is a blatant lie! It does however still DSG fart a little! The two testers I've driven one was brand new 20miles on the clock, the other a couple thousands. They sounded very different, and the one with more miles on it had a much fuller sound and did pop a fart here and there. Not to be confused with the 2018 non-OPF version though.

I'm currently at 800 kms. I haven't noticed any difference yet soundwise. It still does those DSG farts but only when forcing it and it is barely noticeable. Since mine is leased for 3 years I can't change anything about the car. I can only hope that the " had a much fuller sound and did pop a fart here and there." comes eventually. My enjoyment has gone and I feel stuck now.
I've written a formal letter to VW asking then this very question, how come the 2019 model with OPF sounds so drastically different from the 2018 model. Så må vi se hvad de siger :wink:
If they just shrug me off I'll look into getting a resonator delete soon after taking delivery. If you get it done to yours before July 2019, let me know, I'll be very interested in knowing where, how, cost etc.
I firmly believe it is against some sort of law to change something like this in such a drastic way without notifying the client.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

VW cost cutting. Quick redesign. That'll do, they probably said. Got to start banging these cars out , the plebs have been waiting long enough.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

phillos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 pm I firmly believe it is against some sort of law to change something like this in such a drastic way without notifying the client.
You can bet their terms and conditions would cover them.
It'll basically say "we are allowed to change the specification of a car at will"
Wasting your time on this one I think.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm
phillos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 pm I firmly believe it is against some sort of law to change something like this in such a drastic way without notifying the client.
It'll basically say "we are allowed to change the specification of a car at will"
There is a clause like that on their website and in the brochures/price lists.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

I hope to atleast make them aware of the issue.

In the meantime i'll just get on with the sawing ;-)
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

OPF really takes away the sporty soundtrack from the exhaust.

I really enjoy mine, especially in underground parking areas.

https://youtu.be/jKhiTav5XNI
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm
You're probably right. :(

In the mean time i found both a £100 "resonator delete pipe", basically a ready to fit pipe that goes in place of the resonator.
Interestingly enough there's also a full MIlltek resonated OPF-back system for £700 which I'm also considering.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!

Post by EmiLiuZ »

phillos wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm You can bet their terms and conditions would cover them.
You're probably right. :(

In the mean time i found both a £100 "resonator delete pipe", basically a ready to fit pipe that goes in place of the resonator.
Interestingly enough there's also a full MIlltek resonated OPF-back system for £700 which I'm also considering.
Please do a before and after video :) - I'm not to sure if I'm handy enough to do it myself or if that somehow ruins my warranty