Acoustic Locking Sound

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Acoustic Locking Sound

Post by jdunstone16 »

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a way of making the Polo alarm bleep or horn beep once when you lock the car as an acoustic way of knowing you have locked the car?
US versions of VW have the option but cannot find it and wondered if anyone knew.

Thanks in advance
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Acoustic Locking Sound

Post by vc-10 »

I believe it can be enabled using Carista or VCDS.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

It's illegal in the UK.
Alarm activation can only be by visual means.
Our Captur used to beep on lock, but that was legal because it didn't have an alarm. :D
But if you want it, it can definitely be activated using whatever VAGCOM is called now.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Never knew it was illegal. I've activated it on all my VAG cars since 2000 :D
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Pretty sure OBDeleven can do it as well. If you know which bit to change, havn't seen an "app" for it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

alexperkins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am Never knew it was illegal. I've activated it on all my VAG cars since 2000 :D
The fact it's not switched on for the UK market should have been a clue... :wink:
TBH I think it's a good thing, I used to get embarrassed coming home late at night in our Captur and the beep going off.
A whole street of cars beeping could be very annoying.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 am
alexperkins wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am Never knew it was illegal. I've activated it on all my VAG cars since 2000 :D
The fact it's not switched on for the UK market should have been a clue... :wink:
TBH I think it's a good thing, I used to get embarrassed coming home late at night in our Captur and the beep going off.
A whole street of cars beeping could be very annoying.
To be fair, the Polo's Acoustic confirmation beep is very faint and toned down as evident by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLNaxwbcA6g

But yeah, it's probably a good thing more people havn't enabled this on their cars, as I've hear some truly annoying ones especially from BMW's and Jaguars off the top of my head.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

phillos wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am But yeah, it's probably a good thing more people havn't enabled this on their cars, as I've hear some truly annoying ones especially from BMW's and Jaguars off the top of my head.
Can you imagine your average Asda car park if every car beeped?
It would sound like a Kraftwerk gig.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Hi, it's an app in OBDEleven.
See image attached from my app.Image
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 am
phillos wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am But yeah, it's probably a good thing more people havn't enabled this on their cars, as I've hear some truly annoying ones especially from BMW's and Jaguars off the top of my head.
Can you imagine your average Asda car park if every car beeped?
It would sound like a Kraftwerk gig.
:D :D Hey they did some awesome music back in the day. Think they're due for a revival.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I enabled it on my current Leon with OBDEleven, locked the car once and thought it was an awful sound, so disabled it straight away. :mrgreen:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Now, here's a thought.....
When people mention remaps here, some are quick to point out concerns about insurers being able to tell via the OBD.
It's not even illegal to remap a car in the UK, but it is illegal to have audible notification of alarm set.
So this would potentially be an automatic insurance payout refusal?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am Now, here's a thought.....
When people mention remaps here, some are quick to point out concerns about insurers being able to tell via the OBD.
It's not even illegal to remap a car in the UK, but it is illegal to have audible notification of alarm set.
So this would potentially be an automatic insurance payout refusal?
I'd bet the house on it not being a refusal point. It makes the car perform no differently when driving, no more attractive to thieves when parked and isn't apparent to anyone that you've done except where locking/unlocking to hear the "chirp".

It's like VW refusing warranty for the infotainment screen because you remapped your car.

The chirp mod is inconsequential to the insurance coverage and risk.

Why anyone would want to do it is another matter - the clunk of the locking mechanism and flash of the indicators, with folding of the wing mirrors (if you have the electrically folding ones) are enough of an indicator to me that the car is locked/unlocked when I lock or unlock it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:08 pm Why anyone would want to do it is another matter - the clunk of the locking mechanism and flash of the indicators, with folding of the wing mirrors (if you have the electrically folding ones) are enough of an indicator to me that the car is locked/unlocked when I lock or unlock it.
It was handy with the Renault, as it had the 'walk-away autolock'.
So you'd get out, walk away with your back to the car and you'd hear the beep to confirm locking.
The downside, of course, being that the beep meant that car only had an immobiliser, no alarm.
I'd rather have had an alarm than a beep! :D
I agree that for any car that needs the door handle or keyfob pressed to lock, there shouldn't be any need for it at all.
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

Surely it can't be illegal for an acoustic sound as my parent works for Jaguar and has a 19 plate that beeps when locked and that has an alarm.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding VAGCOM and OBDEleven guys