Interior trim

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Interior trim

Post by david.stark »

This has possibly been asked elsewhere but I’ve been wondering about the interior trim colours.

I wondered if the other trim colours can be purchased and fitted by VW. I’ve had the screen replaced today due to the known fault with dead pixels and they had to remove parts of the trim to change the units over.

So it got me thinking as I like the blue coloured trim. Any thoughts?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Interior trim

Post by SRGTD »

By changing the interior trim, presumably you’re referring to the dash pads and trim sections around the front interior door handles and the edge of the centre console?

I dare say they can be changed, but I suspect it won’t be cheap. The optional dash pad pack is available on SE and SEL models and costs £140 to spec this at the time of ordering a new SE or SEL model. Forum member silverhairs specified the Energetic Orange dash pad pack when ordering SEL, but the car was incorrectly built with the standard grey dash pads. The dealer obtained the parts and retro-fitted them, so that suggests it can be done. However with VW, the cost of retro-fitting factory options tends to cost significantly more than it does to specify the same option when initially ordering a new build car. As an example, to spec the optional Pretoria alloy wheels on a Golf R when ordering the car costs £995. To buy a set of these wheels from the dealer to retro fit costs in the region of £3,000!

I wouldn’t be surprised if the cost for the dealer to supply and fit a new dash pad pack costs 2-3 times what it would have cost to spec this option on a new car at time of ordering. Your dealer should be able to confirm that this can be done, along with the actual cost.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Isn't the dash colour a free option?
2 to 3 X 0 = 0

Sorry!

I expect that such a change will come at a considerable cost.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Yes that was what I was referring too and blimey that’s quite a cost for those wheels :shock:

I’ll ask the question but if it’s OTT price wise I’ll give it a miss.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

It would be mad to pay VW prices for pieces of trim.
Take it to your local vinyl wrapping/dipping place and they'll give you any colour/finish you want for a fraction of the price.
Pretty sure the wrappings can also be removed should you want to put it back to standard at any point (check with them).
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

Indeed. I’ve just checked and the price is estimated at around £1500.

Ok....
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

david.stark wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 am Indeed. I’ve just checked and the price is estimated at around £1500.

Ok....
Wow! That’s ridiculous. I get the impression that VW aren’t really interested in undertaking jobs like this, so they price them at a level to deter the customer going ahead with getting it done. There’s also @ risk that once a dealer starts ripping pieces of trim out of your car, they may inflict all sorts of creaks and rattles.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I've had car trim parts carbon dipped before (mini)
Rattles aren't an issue unless you break the clips pulling them off/refitting them.
They're only thumped on at the factory, there's no special technique.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:36 am I've had car trim parts carbon dipped before (mini)
Rattles aren't an issue unless you break the clips pulling them off/refitting them.
They're only thumped on at the factory, there's no special technique.
Easy on, but difficult to get off in one piece - that's the problem with many clipping systems on cars.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:25 am Easy on, but difficult to get off in one piece - that's the problem with many clipping systems on cars.
True, but those plastic trim toolkits you can get off ebay make one hell of a difference compared with being hamfisted with a screwdriver.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P4N4-Univers ... 2960542115