Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Post by Andy Beats »

Do DTUK definitely do a box for this Polo?
Most only seem to do one for the last one.
Maybe they're interchangeable, don't know.
R15KXK
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 1.0 tsi 95

Post by R15KXK »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am Do DTUK definitely do a box for this Polo?
Most only seem to do one for the last one.
Maybe they're interchangeable, don't know.
I believe so, It's the Polo(Vi) 2017> Onwards model 1.0 tsi 95ps/70kw
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

R15KXK wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 am I believe so, It's the Polo(Vi) 2017> Onwards model 1.0 tsi 95ps/70kw
That's not the correct car model though, that's the Mk6....
My one is designated AW and would be 2018>
It's feasible the box designed to override the ECU in the 2017 model will be wrong for the 2018, VW might have changed some parameters.
R15KXK
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 1.0 tsi 95

Post by R15KXK »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am
R15KXK wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 am I believe so, It's the Polo(Vi) 2017> Onwards model 1.0 tsi 95ps/70kw
It's feasible the box designed to override the ECU in the 2017 model will be wrong for the 2018, VW might have changed some parameters.
I was on the online chat with them yesterday, they took my reg and said it is compatible mate. I have the same car as yourself, VW POLO BEATS 2018 (68) REG 1.0 TSI
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

The current AW Polo is the MK 6 as far as VW and most accessory manufacturers are concerned, it is only on here that it is referred to as the MK10, VW don't count the facelifts of the various previous models as new models.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

DTUK get these in as blank boxes suitable for all cars and supply an appropriate wiring harness for the specific car, then load up a basic map which has various points of signal enhancement. The car has 2 or 3 connection points (fuel rail and MAF sensor for diesels), the petrols need a third lead for powering the box (the diesel fuel rail sensor powers the box). The box connections sit between the normal sensory wiring and modify signals.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm
silverhairs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm If you wanted more power, why did you purchase the "1.0 TSI 95 BHP in the first place?

Just asking?
In my case, the 95bhp was in stock ready to go and it was the cheapest PCP option.
You think 95bhp in a small car should be fine, and it bloody-well should be, but VW cripple it with stupid gearing.
You don't appreciate how much the gearing cripples the performance until you've driven it a good while.
People like to change stuff on their car, is that so bad?
You've changed the bulbs in your car, why didn't you specify LED lights...same argument :wink:
Do you think chipping it, is going to cure the stupid gearing? No problems with my DSG box, mind you I have the 115 BHP engine, as I purchased it with cash. I can swap it any time I like. If at any time you have an accident, make sure you get the box out, before the insurance company checks it over.

Over to you :roll:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:01 pm
If at any time you have an accident, make sure you get the box out, before the insurance company checks it over.
No need to remove it if it’s been declared to the insurance company (as any modification such as this should be) and the insurance company have agreed to cover the car with it fitted.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

Andy, that would be the correct car model.
The AW model is in fact the Mk6 and it was released in Frankfurt 2017.
So everything is correct :)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Do you think chipping it, is going to cure the stupid gearing? No problems with my DSG box, mind you I have the 115 BHP engine, as I purchased it with cash. I can swap it any time I like. If at any time you have an accident, make sure you get the box out, before the insurance company checks it over.

Why would you think I think chipping it would cure the gearing?
How on earth would anyone with even an inkling of mechanical knowledge think that?
However, it would make the stupid gearing easier to live with.
Think of it as climbing stairs, the stronger your legs the easier it is.
I've no idea what the relevance of your cash comment (who cares... :?: ) or the eye roll are.
If you don't like the thought of people chipping their Polo, stay out of the thread.....?
It's like you take offence to people not being happy with the performance of their car. :?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you bought cash then maybe you wouldn't get eye roll?

I just get reminded of that Harry Enfield sketch "I do believe that I'm considerably richer than yow" every time it is mentioned.

With 5 gears and the final drive being very tall, going 7 speed DSG should be a big help. Seems VW is trying to get us all into DSG by giving crap manual choices (chocolate clutches on the Golf GTI and R, before they they removed it from the R, super tall gearing on 5 speed boxes) or no choice at all - Polo GTI, MK7.5 Golf R.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:57 am If you bought cash then maybe you wouldn't get eye roll?

I just get reminded of that Harry Enfield sketch "I do believe that I'm considerably richer than yow" every time it is mentioned.

With 5 gears and the final drive being very tall, going 7 speed DSG should be a big help. Seems VW is trying to get us all into DSG by giving crap manual choices (chocolate clutches on the Golf GTI and R, before they they removed it from the R, super tall gearing on 5 speed boxes) or no choice at all - Polo GTI, MK7.5 Golf R.
I 'think' his point is that he takes any desire to modify the car as criticism of it and 'if we'd paid cash' we could just get sell it and get something else.
Like cars must be kept standard, for some weird reason.
You could be right about DSG, but I'll never have that gearbox again.
If VW ever go down the route of pulling manual options altogether, I suppose I'll be an ex-VW customer.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:57 am If you bought cash then maybe you wouldn't get eye roll?

I 'think' his point is that he takes any desire to modify the car as criticism of it and 'if we'd paid cash' we could just get sell it and get something else.
Like cars must be kept standard, for some weird reason.
You could be right about DSG, but I'll never have that gearbox again.
If VW ever go down the route of pulling manual options altogether, I suppose I'll be an ex-VW customer.
Before the facelift mk7 Golf came out, VW couldn't detect a tuning box. If that were still the case I'd be putting one on the Polo in a heartbeat to get it up to 250ps and inform my insurance company (£30 addition for my GTD when I stuck a box on that. If I decide to keep the Polo long term, I might get one on once the warranty is up.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am

Why would you think I think chipping it would cure the gearing?
How on earth would anyone with even an inkling of mechanical knowledge think that?
However, it would make the stupid gearing easier to live with.
Think of it as climbing stairs, the stronger your legs the easier it is.
I've no idea what the relevance of your cash comment (who cares... :?: ) or the eye roll are.
If you don't like the thought of people chipping their Polo, stay out of the thread.....?
It's like you take offence to people not being happy with the performance of their car. :?

Lets hope you will/have declared your chipped Polo on your 3 mile trip to work.
Nikolai001
New
Drives: Polo Mk6 2017

Post by Nikolai001 »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm If you wanted more power, why did you purchase the "1.0 TSI 95 BHP in the first place?

Just asking?
It was either that model
the r line which comes with a 115 bhp 1.0 TSI or a GTI.
No diesel engine models.
18k for my polo the highline plus
24k for the r line
30k for the GTI.

I'm a student, the price jump wasnt worth it for me.