Tyre pressure GTI 2.0

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Tyre pressure GTI 2.0

Post by Rosinfield »

I wonder what tyre pressure is being used by Polo AW GTI 2.0 owners with 17 inch wheels with summer tyres . I have set them om 2.7 bar in front and 2.6 for the back wheels.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Re: Tyre pressure GTI 2.0

Post by fazzy »

Rosinfield wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:28 pm I wonder what tyre pressure is being used by Polo AW GTI 2.0 owners with 17 inch wheels with summer tyres . I have set them om 2.7 bar in front and 2.6 for the back wheels.
Delivery of my GTi is about 2-3 weeks away, so I'm very curious....
Really? Doesn't it say in the manual what tyre pressure should there be?
Is there no sticker on the car with tyre pressures?
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

@fazzy of course it's on the door. Point is, a considerable range is shown, so there are still quite some possibilities. That's why I wonder how other owners have set it.
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

I run slightly under what the door card says.

Front: 38PSI (2.6)
Rear: 36PSI (2.4)

And the tyres on the front are wearing nicely. You can see where they are picking up dust and road dirt and it's what I'd class as OK. The rears however are still a little high imo. The dust I see on the tread is still too far away from the where it joins the side wall. I carry no luggage or passengers so I think the rear could happily go to 34PSI (2.2). All depends if you carry weight. But personally I think 41PSI (2.8) in the front is too much. Might have a play about. Don't want to go too low and ruin the handling or negatively effect fuel economy.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

With the 18" rims and stock tyres I'm running 2,4 bar in front and 2,2 bar at the back. The car handles by far better and it's not as nervous at high speed like it was at 2,8/2,6.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

On the 18inch Tyres I run 2.6 bar front and rear.

At 2.4 bar , the front tyre looks flat but is comfy.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The official figures are way too high - for the purpose of getting the official economy figures as high as possible, the tyre is over inflated. It's almost a cert that people are going to have uneven wear (baldy centres) and poor grip when only half the surface on the tyre is in proper road contact.

36psi front and 32psi rear are more than enough if you haven't got 4 adults and luggage in the car.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

I run 38psi front 35psi rear and seeing nice even wear after 3000 miles. I am on 18" wheels though and agree the pressures on the inside door are too high.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

In run 2.65 bar in front and 2.6 bar in back on 17 inch. Suits me fine and no uneven wear whatsoever. It's not extremely high as it is set in between of the values in the door
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rosinfield wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:45 am In run 2.65 bar in front and 2.6 bar in back on 17 inch. Suits me fine and no uneven wear whatsoever. It's not extremely high as it is set in between of the values in the door
The values on the door are very high (in terms of tyre wear and grip), so being between them is high. Biggest issue for me is the back end losing a lot of grip capability with tyre pressures that high. Not such an issue on the front with that big lump of an engine bearing down on them, although tramping will be more pronounced too.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

I don't experience any problem with grip or otherwise (with 270 HP and Crossclimates). Neither do I see any emperical evidence corroborating the statement that the values in the door are too high.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

I'm on 17 inch wheels and just pumped them up to the recommended 2.6 and 2.4 bar.
Now the weather is colder, they feel rock hard.

Got home and put my pressure guage on each wheel. Released some air so I was nearer 2.5 and 2.3 bar.
I didn't think 0.1 bar would make so much difference ! Car rides the road imperfections much better.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Checked ours over the weekend after driving around in the wife's GTI+ and it felt a bit skittish - the guys at Costco must've pumped all wheels up to 43psi when we got a tyre replaced during to the pothole she hit. Knocked them down to 36psi fronts and 34psi rears.

Had to pump mine up to the same - they'd dropped to 32psi all round in the colder weather.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

My fronts had dropped to 28psi and back 30psi. My own fault as I hadn't checked them in a while.

Put them all back to 36psi and the drive is better.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Hi guys.

Last time I added air to my tyres I did 36PSI all round (will be doing 36/33PSI in the future). Earlier today I checked the tyre pressure, fronts were reading at 38 and the backs at 39.

It's currently 23 degrees where I am in the UK so I'm guessing the heat has caused the increase?

Should I be doing anything about this? Do you guys adjust your tyre pressure based on the weather? Don't want to damage the tyres.