Knocking from rear driver side

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Knocking from rear driver side

Post by Andy Beats »

chris.tayler wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 pm Funnily enough that was my initial thought during the first visit, but they disregarded due to mileage (<5k). I'll be insisting they look this time round!
Mileage is a daft reason for them to dismiss it.
Our Captur and Juke (same suspension) both needed front bushes under 10000 miles, it's a common fault with those.
Cheapest bidder rubbish, good chance a certain proportion will be bad from new.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 pm
chris.tayler wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 pm Funnily enough that was my initial thought during the first visit, but they disregarded due to mileage (<5k). I'll be insisting they look this time round!
Mileage is a daft reason for them to dismiss it.
Our Captur and Juke (same suspension) both needed front bushes under 10000 miles, it's a common fault with those.
Cheapest bidder rubbish, good chance a certain proportion will be bad from new.
Andy Beats you were right. I took them for a drive today and they heard the noise at its worse.

Turns out its the passenger side top mount, they are going to replace it tomorrow. Oh and the tailgate needs re-adjusting again...but they said they expected that anyway. Would have been nice if they could have told me that last time.

Will keep you posted.
Last edited by chris.tayler on Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

chris.tayler wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Andy Beats you were right. I took them for a drive today and they heard the noise at its worse.

Turns out its the passenger side top mount, they are going to replace it tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
Result, well done.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

Andy, it’s back after a day 😂

This squeaky noise will be the end of me.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I still suspect ARB bushes, which are low down.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

So after 4 visits it’s cured.

When I asked what had been done they said “lubed all bushes and joints”.

Now to get the dash creaking sorted :lol:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Lubing anything isn't a fix, really.
It's just a workaround.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

My R-Line has had a "wobble board" sound for a week or so, nothing I was concerned about until yesterday when it seemed to be louder, up to then it was almost like one of those noises you hear but a technician doesn't!

I can't replicate it easily, going over a bump won't always cause it but it seems to happen when braking lightly in slow moving traffic, again when moving off, more like a groan/dry rubber on metal, but won't happen if I bounce the shocks.

Car is in for 1st service Thursday and I have told them about it, I'm not worried about it at the moment but as it is getting more noticable I hope it's an easier fix to find, will let you know the outcome.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

MilgeS wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm My R-Line has had a "wobble board" sound for a week or so, nothing I was concerned about until yesterday when it seemed to be louder, up to then it was almost like one of those noises you hear but a technician doesn't!

I can't replicate it easily, going over a bump won't always cause it but it seems to happen when braking lightly in slow moving traffic, again when moving off, more like a groan/dry rubber on metal, but won't happen if I bounce the shocks.

Car is in for 1st service Thursday and I have told them about it, I'm not worried about it at the moment but as it is getting more noticable I hope it's an easier fix to find, will let you know the outcome.
Our Juke and Captur both needed new ARB bushes under warranty.
I couldn't replicate the noise bouncing the cars at a standstill either, and I'm a 16 stone bloke.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm
They're pretty much the same car under the skin- probably same supplier of bushes.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm They're pretty much the same car under the skin- probably same supplier of bushes.
Indeed, lowest bidder rubbish rubber, just like OEM wipers.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm
MilgeS wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm My R-Line has had a "wobble board" sound for a week or so, nothing I was concerned about until yesterday when it seemed to be louder, up to then it was almost like one of those noises you hear but a technician doesn't!

I couldn't replicate the noise bouncing the cars at a standstill either, and I'm a 16 stone bloke.
Well......my problem has solved itself now......doing an emergency stop today and since then, no creak, groan or anything so something has either been pushed, shoved or whatever back into it rightful place. I'll still get them to have a good look at everything on Thursday at the service but I have no idea what has moved!!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I've come to accept that all VAG products rattle and squeak, there slogan should be vee rattle you!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 pm I've come to accept that all VAG products rattle and squeak, there slogan should be vee rattle you!
I agree.
It's a total myth that VW cars are better built than other cars.
Maybe decades ago, but not now, everyone else has caught up or passed them.
My Juke didn't have so many rattles as my Polo, that's for sure.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, significant reduction in manufacturing costs, still if costs to VW Group have kept lower until their cars are out of warranty, then they will see this as a win win situation, their saving grace being that all the other German premium brands have also managed similar cost savings! Maybe this is why some people from 6R > Polo have been reporting horrid noises from their clutch/gearboxes area?