Multi function screen having a breakdown

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Multi function screen having a breakdown

Post by Aube »

Hi,

We’ve had yet another weird occurrence with the multi function display (the small screen between the Speedo and rev counter). After the car went in for its first service a few weeks later on starting the car the screen scrolled through numerous messages; Error: brake, Please visit workshop, Error: start-stop system; park assist; Manoeuvre braking currently unavailable; Error: Front Assist unavailable; Error: Tyre Pressure Loss Indicator; Error ParkPilot. I switched off the car ignition and it cleared but the next time the messages scrolled through again. Called VW Assist who plugged the car in using their diagnostics and said it looked like the communications system got in a mess, so they cleared the faults and all was well for two weeks when it did this again. VW Assist called who again cleared the fault and then the car was booked into VW for deeper investigation. They identified a faulty relay so replaced this part saying that will fix it. Guess what; it didn’t, as two weeks later the same fault has appeared!

Maybe a coincidence, but the fault appeared two weeks after the car had its first service, and so far every two weeks! Any one had a similar issue?

Thanks
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Re: Multi function screen having a breakdown

Post by brainbow »

That’s interesting. My R Line had its first service about 2 weeks ago and I know the infotainment/ system had an upgrade.
Since then I’ve had the Daytime lights go off whilst driving and error - cleared after restarting the car. Also had the city braking error and turn off - same fix.

Sounds like there’s some gremlins in the software!!
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Thanks for the information as that’s very helpful.

I’ve got VW Assist coming at 16:00 - 18:00, so I’ll see what they have to say.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Update after VW Assist arrived

Car plugged in to the laptop diagnostic and as before listed numerous faults all at the same time. One oddity was the drop in voltage show as 9v when it should register at least 12v. So the battery was checked and that was fine and eliminated. Further checks came up with no clear reason for the messages, so the car will go back to the dealer for a much deeper investigation.
Aube
Bronze Member

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Car went to the dealers on Thursday and the technician discovered some damaged wiring that links the dash to various parts of the car that was causing the fault. I’m not totally convinced, but as it’s usually takes two weeks after they’ve cleared the faults out of the system before the error messages restart I’ll see what happens!