2019 lead times

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: 2019 lead times

Post by OomStu_ZA »

So guys here is a local (ZA) TV segment about the poor performance of our ports. The main port in question is Port Elizabeth from where all Polo's are shipped from. Never mind delays getting product out, its the parts the assembly factory require to build the vehicles too:
https://youtu.be/ObUw4FOaQUA
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

This clip about Port Elizabeth should be shown to all people ordering a new Polo, would it change their minds about ordering? And for forum members on this post alone (2019 lead times) should also watch it.
They are talking about containers, but do the car transporters get special "OK you can go in first to load" I very much doubt it?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:06 pm This clip about Port Elizabeth should be shown to all people ordering a new Polo, would it change their minds about ordering? And for forum members on this post alone (2019 lead times) should also watch it.
They are talking about containers, but do the car transporters get special "OK you can go in first to load" I very much doubt it?
Even though I live in this "Sh1t hole"country I tend to agree with you. Move production back to the EU where standards are just higher by their very nature.

As for the clip being about containers, yes it is but remember most of VW SA parts arrive from the EU in containers.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:23 pm
silverhairs wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:06 pm This clip about Port Elizabeth should be shown to all people ordering a new Polo, would it change their minds about ordering? And for forum members on this post alone (2019 lead times) should also watch it.
Even though I live in this "Sh1t hole"country I tend to agree with you. Move production back to the EU where standards are just higher by their very nature.

As for the clip being about containers, yes it is but remember most of VW SA parts arrive from the EU in containers.
Are you saying the standard of shipping (times?) is better , or that the car are better built in the EU?

If you're talking shipping, then as long as they arrive undamaged, you'll just have to exercise a little patience in it getting here. Those ships carry all sorts of cargo and are stopping and swapping some of it at multiple ports. If you wanted a direct ship from SA with no stops, you'd be adding hundreds of pounds per car in transport costs to maybe save 2 weeks shipping time max.

If you think VAG build quality is strongly based on where they're built, I'd say that's incorrect. Same parts, standardised assembly techniques across all sites etc. I've bought 11 VAGS from new (10 VW) and the most troublesome ones were Wolfsburg built Golfs. The least troublesome ones were Portuguese built Sciroccos.

Not sure where the new Audi A1 was built, but the GTI+ equivalent "40 S-line" variants are about £4k more and all they've got to show for the difference is more advanced rear clusters which are 100% LED with sweeping indicators. The rest will be supporting the wages at the relevant plant being very much higher than the SA plant.
john896
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by john896 »

So last night i had my final stage message, my car has reach the dealership and is just waiting for me to collect next week sometime. Hopefully friday when i have the full day off to enjoy it. Let the fun begin.
cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

john896 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:40 am So last night i had my final stage message, my car has reach the dealership and is just waiting for me to collect next week sometime. Hopefully friday when i have the full day off to enjoy it. Let the fun begin.
Congratulations! It's so worth the wait :D
Teia2mcguigan
New
Drives: Polo SE

Post by Teia2mcguigan »

I’m so jealous of you all! Enjoy the cars when they come, got a build week confirmed for 2nd week! Think it’s gonna be a long wait 😪
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

The thing is being the 2nd week you'll have a 69 plate, though it's a 2020 motor, so it's a new number till March then the 2020 plate comes out.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

AaronGrisedale wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 am I ordered an R-Line with 5 options + paint and wheels at the end of May 2018. I have only just had my build date confirmed as week 23, so at the minute it is looking like it's going to be 14 months from order to delivery.
Yikes and I thought my wait last year was bad
I am actually away to sell my R line if you know anyone looking
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

If you were ordering a Morgan, it's got a long waiting list, but 14 months for a Polo, tell them to poke it, no Polo's worth that wait.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:07 am If you were ordering a Morgan, it's got a long waiting list, but 14 months for a Polo, tell them to poke it, no Polo's worth that wait.
That post by @AaronGrisedale was from May this year, so quite an old post. Hopefully they’ll have taken delivery of their car by now.

Long wait times seems to be the norm with VW factory orders in the first 12 months of a new VW model’s lifecycle. I’d be reluctant to order a new VW to my required spec within the first year after launch; aside from the potentially long wait, I’d rather wait for any initial teething problems to (hopefully) be identified and fixed before ordering, and I wouldn’t want to be one of VW’s unpaid test drivers discovering these teething issues that early adopters have experienced. Also, the further into the a car’s lifecycle, the better the discounts off the list price tend to be, although the Brexit impact (potential tariffs) is an unknown!

Based on many of the posts on the forum, waiting / lead times do seem to have improved (although they could still be better), now the initial interest in the Polo seems to have died down, the WLTP debacle is a distant memory, and VW seem to be clearing the backlog of Polo factory orders.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

As a matter of slightly sideways interest, I was passing anyway so stopped at my local VW dealer to enquire of the Golf Mk8 after viewing videos & pics online, to poss order a car in advance of my PCP ending early next year. I was told "demonstrators available in December, new cars delivered approx 16 weeks after then". I'm not interested in paying for the privelage of continuing new model development either and, I can safely say this on a Polo forum as I'd get all sorts of grief on a Golf site, I'm not 'digging' the new Mk8. I want to, 'get' the Mk8 (not necessarily buy but you never know til it appears in the flesh), but so far I'm just not 'into' it. It seems too much 'Starship Enterprise cockpit', nice, bright & clever displays but too many other features deleted. By comparison, a few posters' niggles aside, the Polo seems much more sorted....
Last edited by stevereeves on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm As a matter of slightly sideways interest, I was passing anyway so stopped at my local VW dealer to enquire of the Golf Mk8 after viewing videos & pics online, to poss order a car in advance of my PCP ending early next year. I was told "demonstrators available in December, new cars delivered approx 16 weeks after then". I'm not interested in paying for the privelage of continuing new model development either and, I can safely say this on a Polo forum as I'd get all sorts of grief on a Golf site, I'm not 'digging' the new Mk8. I want to, 'get' the Mk8 (not necessarily buy but you never know til it appears in the flesh), but so far I'm just not 'into' it. It seems too much 'Starship Enterprise cockpit', nice, bright & clever displays but too many other features deleted. By comparison, a few popsters' niggles aside, the Polo seems much more sorted....
There's not a hell of a lot of love for the looks of the forthcoming Golf MK8 at the Golf GTI forum. It seems a bit ugly vs the MK7, in much the same way that the MK6 was a MK5 that's been beaten with an ugly stick

The Golf is getting silly expensive now. In 2009 the RRP for a Golf GTI (last of the MK5s) was £21k. 10 years later and the RRP has gone up 50%. It would not surprise me if a basic MK8 GTI is nudging £35k RRP.

Of course, even without 6 weeks of shipping from SA for a Wolfsburg built Golf, lead times can be long for the early stages of the product cycle.

I ordered a MK7 Golf GTD mid March 2013, unseen. The normal Golf demos were just filtering through. My GTD arrived almost 6 months later. I ordered a MK7 Golf R in September 2014, with an anticipated 4 month wait...8.5 months later, it finally turned up. 3 months is the norm for a fresh factory order on a performance MK7 Golf now (if books haven't closed).
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

No App update. No call from dealer.

So I call dealer this afternoon, but My Man is busy. He’ll call back says receptionist. He doesn’t.

So I leave my question with the receptionist - “Was our car built in Week 43 as planned?”

Hey Presto - within 2 hours I get a system eMail and an App update straight from Stage 3 to 5 without stopping at 4.

The car has left the factory.

So Xmas may come early for the lucky lady.
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

I'm going to enquire about a new build gti+ next week, i wonder what sort of leed time i'll get...