Loading sill protection plate (aka boot protector) for GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Hooligaani
New
Drives: GTI on order

Loading sill protection plate (aka boot protector) for GTI?

Post by Hooligaani »

I'm trying to get my dealer to throw one in for me, closest we can find is part 2G0061195 but it specifically says (Not for GTI).
Anyone know why? Also is there an alternative that fits the GTI?

Thanks.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Loading sill protection plate (aka boot protector) for GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

There’s a clear film bumper protector for the current model Polo. Doesn’t say it’s not suitable for the GTI, it’s cheaper than the stainless steel one that you refer to in your post, and probably easier to remove without damaging the bumper if the need arises.

https://www.volkswagenpartsuk.co.uk/par ... ansparent/

I’d be worried that the thickness of the stainless steel one could mean the bottom of the tailgate might catch on it when opening / closing the tailgate, and remove the paint from the edge of the tailgate.
jsybrian
New
Drives: None

Post by jsybrian »

I ordered the clear one when I ordered my GTI. When I went to pick it up both the clear and the steel one were available.
I opted for the steel one looks good and sits far enough back so as not to foul the tailgate.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 pm There’s a clear film bumper protector for the current model Polo.
I can't help thinking that's going to be difficult to apply
Like a screen protector on a phone, I'm thinking all manner of bubbles etc.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:44 pm There’s a clear film bumper protector for the current model Polo. Doesn’t say it’s not suitable for the GTI, it’s cheaper than the stainless steel one that you refer to in your post, and probably easier to remove without damaging the bumper if the need arises.

https://www.volkswagenpartsuk.co.uk/par ... ansparent/

I’d be worried that the thickness of the stainless steel one could mean the bottom of the tailgate might catch on it when opening / closing the tailgate, and remove the paint from the edge of the tailgate.
My tailgate is catching the bumper on a hard slam (more chipped paint on the underside edge of the tailgate repaired). It won't close on it's own weight, it needs a moderate slam to close. Might move the striker boots out a notch.
Hooligaani
New

Post by Hooligaani »

jsybrian wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:22 pm I ordered the clear one when I ordered my GTI. When I went to pick it up both the clear and the steel one were available.
I opted for the steel one looks good and sits far enough back so as not to foul the tailgate.
Do you have the part number for the steel one? Also any pictures?
jsybrian
New

Post by jsybrian »

Hi sorry no pics however the part number and a picture are in the accessories brochure for he Polo. Hope this helps
Hooligaani
New

Post by Hooligaani »

jsybrian wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 pm Hi sorry no pics however the part number and a picture are in the accessories brochure for he Polo. Hope this helps
But it also says "not for GTI" I'm really confused right now.
jsybrian
New

Post by jsybrian »

Well I can assure you mine is fitted to my GTI no problems.
Might be worth asking your dealer for clarification of compatability.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

VW used to say you couldn't fit front mudflaps on my 1998 Gti.
Nonsense, they fitted fine.
Just that the tyres rubbed against them on full lock and make a whrrrrrrrrr noise.
So VW may have some peculiar reason not to recommend this on the Gti that is a mystery to those who actually do it.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Yes, no reason why it shouldn’t fit, but if I were to play devil’s advocate, does the OP really need to fit one?
  • Aesthetically, the GTI doesn’t have any external brightwork (other than the exhaust tips), so IMO a stainless steel strip on the rear bumper might look a bit odd and not blend in with the GTI’s black or body coloured accents.
  • Once fitted, if it gets scratched, I suppose it’ll have done its job in stopping the bumper getting scratched, but in my opinion a scuffed up stainless steel strip on the rear bumper won’t look any better than a scuffed bumper. If you remove the protection plate to fit a new undamaged replacement one, depending on the type of glue VW supply to fix it, there’s a risk of damage to the bumper when removing it.
  • I’ve never had an issue with the rear bumper getting scuffed from loading and unloading the boot / trunk - if you’re careful when loading and unloading, the risk of damage is low IMO. If I were to fit some form of protective strip, I’d always go for the ‘invisible’ version - the clear film strip, which would also be cheaper to replace if it gets damaged.
  • Monkeyhanger has highlighted the fact that the bottom edge of his tailgate makes contact with the rear bumper on his GTI when closing the tailgate, and that’s without the added thickness of a metal rear bumper protection plate being fitted.
At the end of the day, it’s the OP’s car, so it’s their choice on whether or not they fit one. If it was me looking for the dealer to include some ‘freebies’ as part of the deal, I’d look for something else, such as a free or reduced first service, full tank of fuel etc.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I presume it'a dog thing?
My missus is a self-employed hairdresser and is lifting cases in/out of her car 6 days a week, with no bumper scuffing.
God knows if she can manage it anyone can, she really is terrible at looking after her cars.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:29 am I presume it'a dog thing?
If it is a dog thing, and the OP wants to protect the bumper from a dog scratching it, lots of companies make boot liners (either universal or for a specific car make/model) with a fold down bumper flap. Alternatively, the cheap option would be to carry an old blanket or car rug to cover the rear bumper when the dog gets in or out.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:42 am If it is a dog thing, and the OP wants to protect the bumper from a dog scratching it, lots of companies make boot liners (either universal or for a specific car make/model) with a fold down bumper flap.
I've seen those, considered one for the wife's car.
But we both agreed it's such a Heath Robinson solution that simply being careful was better.
Hooligaani
New

Post by Hooligaani »

Thanks guys, I think I'll just go for the invisible film, I already got the dealer to throw in a boot liner and a full tank.

Cheers all!