My Polo R Line

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: My Polo R Line

Post by OomStu_ZA »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 pm When I first looked at members talking about the "R Line" I thought it was the next step between the SEL DSG 115 and a GTI, but looking at the posts, it's only got the same 115 engine, or is there a higher BHP that they fit to a "R Line", when you mention "R Line" it sounds a bit more sporty than a normal Polo SEL DSG 115, but in reality is it any faster?? Now when you talk about a Honda R, now that's faster !!!
It has the same round steering wheel boss as the GTI, but again it looks like the same spec as a SE with a 115 engine with a few more trims and different wheels fitted, and to be honest I like the steering wheel boss in my SEL better, at least it's got a bit more shape, than just a round lump.
Also I've got dual climate, but my mate down the road has that in his GTI+, is it standard in the GTI+ or is it an extra?
R-line is a "body kit" and rims for lack of a better word and can be selected when spec'ing a vehicle with the dealer, in either Comfortline (SE) or Highline (SEL) trim, just not entry level vehicles. There is no performance boost as such.

The 150bhp 1.5L Polo is a bit of a unicorn car but have read on this forum from others that its out there although I expect this to be mainly in the EU (left hand drive only).

We only expect the 150 bhp (110kw) engine to arrive with the R-Line T-Cross next year.

Climate control air con is usually optional with "manual" air con as standard.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 pm When I first looked at members talking about the "R Line" I thought it was the next step between the SEL DSG 115 and a GTI, but looking at the posts, it's only got the same 115 engine, or is there a higher BHP that they fit to a "R Line", when you mention "R Line" it sounds a bit more sporty than a normal Polo SEL DSG 115, but in reality is it any faster?? Now when you talk about a Honda R, now that's faster !!!
It has the same round steering wheel boss as the GTI, but again it looks like the same spec as a SE with a 115 engine with a few more trims and different wheels fitted, and to be honest I like the steering wheel boss in my SEL better, at least it's got a bit more shape, than just a round lump.
Also I've got dual climate, but my mate down the road has that in his GTI+, is it standard in the GTI+ or is it an extra?
VW R-Line is a sports style trim level - it doesn’t signify that it’s s performance model. There’s also an R-Line model for many other vehicles in the VW model range; T-Cross, Golf, T-Roc, Tiguan, Passat, Arteon and Touareg. VW performance models are badged GTI / GTI+ (Polo), GTI, GTI TCR and R (Golf). There is also to be a T-Roc performance model; the T-Roc R.

You asked the question about dual zone climate control in the GTI+ less than a couple of months ago in the ‘GTI and GTI+ owners experiences’ discussion thread and were given the answer - see below;
SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pm
silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm Does the GTI have the "climatronic " control, where the passenger can have a different temperature control to the driver, or does it just have the basic air-con? I'd rather have the "climatronic" control than a rear spoiler or side skirts. I'd rather have control of the temperature inside the car for comfort, more than looks on the outside. You forgot, you have a GTI badge on the boot, instead of just Polo
No, it has manual air con and I’m pretty certain you’re aware of this so why ask? But then does the SEL have DSG as standard and steering wheel mounted gear shift paddles?
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

R-Line = sheep in wolfs clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

A mate of mine has a Civic Type R (the new one) and it is one ugly lump of metal-looks like it was designed by a five year old with lots of patches of plastic and superfluous vents plastered all over it. It is fast when its wound right up, but it is also uncomfortable and noisy (not just sporty noisy, but lack of insulation noisy). After a few weeks he regretted not getting an Audi S3. I think he's getting shot of it soon for a new Golf GTI TCR.

There's a Polo trim for most requirements, but I wouldn't make my choices based on whether it had dual zone climate or not. Had it on my Golf R - it was ok to have as standard equipment, but wasn't worth optioning for £400 to me. The temp control dials work just fine. I'll take the GTI+ over the SEL any day of the week for performance and equipment Surprisingly good on the juice too with respect to output.

On uncongested school holiday roads, I'm averaging 38mpg on my mixed roads commute. Last Saturday, the 4 of us went to York in the car. Out of interest, I stuck to 70 for the journey down - 52mpg. As impressive as that was, I did 80 home and got 46mpg - aircon on at minimum temp there and back.

SEL gets Nav and dual zone climate over GTI+.

GTI+ gets over SEL: LED headlights, adjustable dampers, bigger wheels, tinted glass, paddle shifters, sportier steering wheel, sportier front seats with lumbar support, keyless, ACC, virtual cockpit digital dash, folding door mirrors and a whole host of interior and exterior GTI styling.

For me, excluding the sporty stuff - I'd find LED headlights, ACC and digital dash far more useful than Nav (I have it, used it twice) and dual zone.

Spec a DSG SEL to GTI+ spec (add mats, keyless, active info display, ACC, Driver profile select, LED headlights, tinted glass, style pack, XDS electronic diff, folding mirrors, the cheapest 17" alloy option) and price comes in at £23464.

Add Nav and Climate to GTI+ and you're at £24250.

Only £786 between the 2 on equivalent spec basis (GTI+ still has some styling bits that can't be specced on the SEL). I'm pretty sure the brakes are bigger on the GTI too.

The GTI+ looks a bargain vs a well specced SEL, and not a hell of a lot thirstier when driven the same way.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

That's why I got an Ibiza! With a long commute I wouldn't be able to afford a GTI+, but the Ibiza Xcellence Lux is fully loaded. ACC was a must for me, and the digital dash and LED lights are awesome.

And yes, the Nav is pointless. I've used it twice too, both times when my phone had run out of juice!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Slider09 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:18 pm R-Line = sheep in wolfs clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, every time you see/read "-Line" it is show with no added go, even M-B has an AMG-Line and there will be nothing much in the "get up and go" area happening there.

Audi S-Line, sounds a bit like an Audi getting close to an S, as in S1, S3, S4, etc - no, just some trim bits and larger diameter alloys, and I you are crazy some shortened road springs to make the ride terrible, my S4 with its proper "S" bits has far more composed and compliant suspension system than an equivalent S-Line with added S-Line springs.

Now sometimes that works out okay for the buyer, but so far in the VW Group world, I've expected more and found less, otherwise I would have bought my wife an R-Line 6C Polo instead of an SEL Polo. Round about the time we were looking to place an order (April 2015), a VW dealer said that there was a much better R-Line Polo coming along to address these issues, something maybe closer to being an R Polo without too much extra power - that turned out to be BS as the VW website and cat proved. There really does need be a slightly higher output engine available in the Polo line up - across the trim range, but the stupid way that VW Group are so far behind the rest of the pack in terms of submitting cars for emission testing, that is not possible it seems, even SEAT is still strangled by this issue needing to churn out "(EZ)" versions instead of specing up a car for factory build.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ There's very little spread of choice in the engine range for Polo - a massive gulf between the 115ps 1.0 and the 200ps 2.0. Is the 1.5 EVO engine coming to the Polo anytime soon? A 150ps variant smack in the middle would suit nicely, as would a 140ps 2.0 diesel, or maybe even a GTD with the Golf's unit if they can cram it under the bonnet. The 1.6 TDI is available on SEL, but why a poxy 95ps output? The wife's old A1 with the 116ps 1.6 TDI was great. I could thrash the hell out of that on my (then) 20 mile each way commute and get over 60mpg.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry cross posting:- my daughter is moving up to Leon from her almost 10 years old Ibiza 1.4 SC 86PS, which is okay as she is 10 years older and should have a bigger car as her friends have, so sharing cars for social outings and visiting friends further afield becomes a bit fairer on everyone. I tried to get her to consider a 1.5TSI 150PS 6SPEED or a slightly used 2.0TSI 190PS though I was unsure if it was DSG or 6SPEED, she collects a brand new but pre-reg'd Leon Cupra 290PS DSG tomorrow, next task will be to work on her over considering getting a set of winter wheels and tyres as these what look like diamond cut 19" alloys will be better off hiding away from winter nasties. She was aiming to factory order an ST which includes 4WD but I put her off that due to it still needing something else for flying around in winter, as I know that 4WD just ensures that you get moving, winter tyres allow you to steer and stop better, which is handy and also give you a good chance of getting moving. Poor old maybe faithful 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC has been despatched down to the Scottish Borders areas to serve as a first car for someone's daughter, so she made an extra £450 by not trading it - a good start towards the winter wheels etc?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am Sorry cross posting:- my daughter is moving up to Leon from her almost 10 years old Ibiza 1.4 SC 86PS, which is okay as she is 10 years older and should have a bigger car as her friends have, so sharing cars for social outings and visiting friends further afield becomes a bit fairer on everyone. I tried to get her to consider a 1.5TSI 150PS 6SPEED or a slightly used 2.0TSI 190PS though I was unsure if it was DSG or 6SPEED, she collects a brand new but pre-reg'd Leon Cupra 290PS DSG tomorrow, next task will be to work on her over considering getting a set of winter wheels and tyres as these what look like diamond cut 19" alloys will be better off hiding away from winter nasties. She was aiming to factory order an ST which includes 4WD but I put her off that due to it still needing something else for flying around in winter, as I know that 4WD just ensures that you get moving, winter tyres allow you to steer and stop better, which is handy and also give you a good chance of getting moving. Poor old maybe faithful 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC has been despatched down to the Scottish Borders areas to serve as a first car for someone's daughter, so she made an extra £450 by not trading it - a good start towards the winter wheels etc?
Does the Leon come on decent summer tyres?

I can imagine that the tramping will be horrendous if it has 290ps and Bridgestone Potenza tyres. Depending on what it comes with, that might be my first concern. I wouldn't be enjoying my Polo GTI+ half as much if I left to Turanzas on.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Conti something, going by the pictures of it on the dealer's website, time will tell!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am Sorry cross posting:- my daughter is moving up to Leon from her almost 10 years old Ibiza 1.4 SC 86PS, which is okay as she is 10 years older and should have a bigger car as her friends have, so sharing cars for social outings and visiting friends further afield becomes a bit fairer on everyone. I tried to get her to consider a 1.5TSI 150PS 6SPEED or a slightly used 2.0TSI 190PS though I was unsure if it was DSG or 6SPEED, she collects a brand new but pre-reg'd Leon Cupra 290PS DSG tomorrow, next task will be to work on her over considering getting a set of winter wheels and tyres as these what look like diamond cut 19" alloys will be better off hiding away from winter nasties. She was aiming to factory order an ST which includes 4WD but I put her off that due to it still needing something else for flying around in winter, as I know that 4WD just ensures that you get moving, winter tyres allow you to steer and stop better, which is handy and also give you a good chance of getting moving. Poor old maybe faithful 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC has been despatched down to the Scottish Borders areas to serve as a first car for someone's daughter, so she made an extra £450 by not trading it - a good start towards the winter wheels etc?
Boy is she going to P**s (no it's not pass) :lol: some Polo GTI drivers off with her 290PS DSG :wink:
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 pm
VW R-Line is a sports style trim level - it doesn’t signify that it’s s performance model. There’s also an R-Line model for many other vehicles in the VW model range; T-Cross, Golf, T-Roc, Tiguan, Passat, Arteon and Touareg. VW performance models are badged GTI / GTI+ (Polo), GTI, GTI TCR and R (Golf). There is also to be a T-Roc performance model; the T-Roc R.

You asked the question about dual zone climate control in the GTI+ less than a couple of months ago in the ‘GTI and GTI+ owners experiences’ discussion thread and were given the answer - see below;
SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pm
silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm Does the GTI have the "climatronic " control, where the passenger can have a different temperature control to the driver, or does it just have the basic air-con? I'd rather have the "climatronic" control than a rear spoiler or side skirts. I'd rather have control of the temperature inside the car for comfort, more than looks on the outside. You forgot, you have a GTI badge on the boot, instead of just Polo
No, it has manual air con and I’m pretty certain you’re aware of this so why ask? But then does the SEL have DSG as standard and steering wheel mounted gear shift paddles?
I may have asked before, but my mate down the road liked my car, he had the Polo GTI which was 3 years old and he liked the more space in mine. So he looked in Auto Trader for the GTI or GTI+. He had to travel over 100 miles, but he got a GTI+ not quite 6 months old (19 plate). Less than 1000 miles on the clock, with dual zone climatic air con, alcantara seats with are also heated, swing in wing mirrors and adaptive cruise control plus a couple of other extras. All for a very very good price, none of this waiting months for it to be delivered, he's had no problem with it.
He recons it's a far better ride than his old Polo GTI and likes it very much, and as I've said before, the guy across the road has swapped his Golf GTI for a Polo GTI. So people who say, don't see many Polo GTI's on the road, come down are road, there as common as muck, being only 20 houses in the street :wink:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm Conti something, going by the pictures of it on the dealer's website, time will tell!
Probably Contisport 5 - not a bad tyre. The S3s usually come on those.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm
Boy is she going to P**s (no it's not pass) :lol: some Polo GTI drivers off with her 290PS DSG :wink:
I'd doubt that, she is currently suffering the effects of using busses to get to work and back, the cost of selling her Ibiza before taking delivery of her Leon Cupra, so she will not want to need to repeat that ordeal by losing her licence - so far in 22 years of driving in UK, Oz for a year and Malaysia for 3 years, she has only had one speeding ticket which was while driving us to the airport and even I'll agree exceedingly inappropriate speed limit signs over a stretch of roadworks - but she was not up for contesting it which I agreed with, maybe her mother paid for that, who knows what mothers pay for when it comes to daughters!