GTI+ Stolen, Recovered, Manhandled by Insurer's Garage - Need a VW Garage

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: GTI+ Stolen, Recovered, Manhandled by Insurer's Garage - Need a VW Garage

Post by Andy Beats »

I miss keyless badly on both of our cars, I'd gladly take the risk to have it again.
I can understand my pretty basic Polo not having it, but the wife's Sportage is kitted out beyond belief and it's a strange omission from the spec.
gnome
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI Plus

Post by gnome »

The keyless on the Polo can be disabled temporarily, basically each time you get out of the car you can disable keyless entry i don’t remember the exact procedure but I read it in the manual, it’s something like holding the drivers door handle for a few seconds. This should be enough to prevent the relay theft. It’s the way i’ll be using the car, push button start great, keyless entry, meh!
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

You can also permanently disable it using VAGcom or OBDeleven, you can tell the car it doesn't have the 2 modules for keyless entry and exit so you can only lock\unlock using the buttons on the keyfob, the start\stop button still works fine as it's a different module, I will probably do this with mine, less for security and more for convenience as having to stop and touch the door handle to lock the car seems annoying to me. I tried it yesterday on a GTi+ at my dealers and it is worse then just closing the door via the frame, walking away and pressing the button in you pocket, our i3 which doesn't have the optional "comfort access" works this way as it has a start button.

I also saw an advert the other day for a new device from somewhere in the Netherlands which goes inside your keyfob around the battery, there are 2 version, 1 which cuts power to the fob after it being still for 3 mins or one which you have to stop still and then tap your fob (or pocket\bag with it in) twice to switch your fab on, looked interesting until I saw they are 144 Euros EACH!

Oh just found it - https://keylessprotector.com
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Griff74 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:15 pm I also saw an advert the other day for a new device from somewhere in the Netherlands which goes inside your keyfob around the battery, there are 2 version, 1 which cuts power to the fob after it being still for 3 mins or one which you have to stop still and then tap your fob (or pocket\bag with it in) twice to switch your fab on, looked interesting until I saw they are 144 Euros EACH!

That is pricey for such a small piece of electronics. What I don't understand is why car manufacturers cannot put this tech built into the key... It seems so basic to disable the key once still for a short time. Interesting to know if this device has any impact on the battery life of the key? cannot find anything on their website about it.
gnome
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI Plus

Post by gnome »

l3rady wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:05 pm That is pricey for such a small piece of electronics. What I don't understand is why car manufacturers cannot put this tech built into the key... It seems so basic to disable the key once still for a short time. Interesting to know if this device has any impact on the battery life of the key? cannot find anything on their website about it.
Some new cars have key fobs with an accelerometer in them (I think its the latest BMW's) .. If there is no motion the keyless entry will not unlock the car. Simple solution which should be on all cars.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

l3rady wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:05 pm
Griff74 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:15 pm I also saw an advert the other day for a new device from somewhere in the Netherlands which goes inside your keyfob around the battery, there are 2 version, 1 which cuts power to the fob after it being still for 3 mins or one which you have to stop still and then tap your fob (or pocket\bag with it in) twice to switch your fab on, looked interesting until I saw they are 144 Euros EACH!

That is pricey for such a small piece of electronics. What I don't understand is why car manufacturers cannot put this tech built into the key... It seems so basic to disable the key once still for a short time. Interesting to know if this device has any impact on the battery life of the key? cannot find anything on their website about it.
I think Mercedes key fobs for their current range of cars with keyless entry do ‘shut down’ after a sensing a short period of no movement, stopping the signal being picked up by a would-be thief with signal amplification equipment and transmitted to the car. So this technology is starting to be used by car manufacturers, and not before time IMO.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 pm I think Mercedes key fobs for their current range of cars with keyless entry do ‘shut down’ after a sensing a short period of no movement, stopping the signal being picked up by a would-be thief with signal amplification equipment and transmitted to the car. So this technology is starting to be used by car manufacturers, and not before time IMO.
I take it the tech can't be hacked into thinking it's being moved, thereby bringing it to life again?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

This is interesting, the patent for a keyfob with accelerometer goes back to 2013.
Although it's only mentioned for extending battery life.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20140368313A1/en
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

So sad to read of the OP's problems, hope it gets sorted soon. Years ago thieves caused my 'retirement' from Moto-X; my bike, KX125, and all my tools & riding gear (less one glove) were stolen from my parent's garage and we found out the hard way the houshold insurance didn't cover the garage, it does now. Just had the engine rebuilt and had given the petrol tank a coat of primer too. Such a kicker when lowlifes can't leave folks' stuff alone :evil: ....
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:22 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 pm I think Mercedes key fobs for their current range of cars with keyless entry do ‘shut down’ after a sensing a short period of no movement, stopping the signal being picked up by a would-be thief with signal amplification equipment and transmitted to the car. So this technology is starting to be used by car manufacturers, and not before time IMO.
I take it the tech can't be hacked into thinking it's being moved, thereby bringing it to life again?
Sorry, I don’t know.

It’s not unknown for the unscrupulous to find ways around security safeguards that are built into tech (not just car security-related tech), so I dare say this is a possibility at some point in the future. The key (no pun intended!) is for car manufacturers to try to get (and stay) at least one step ahead of the car thief, and commit sufficient funding and resource to continually developing and improving vehicle security. Will they do this? If it doesn’t help to sell cars, they probably won’t, even though most - if not all - car manufacturers say they take vehicle security seriously.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

For anyone interested, Shmee150 posted a demo of this recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IhrMExnzM
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

roywolfey wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:04 pm

For anyone interested, Shmee150 posted a demo of this recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IhrMExnzM
Yeah I've watched that, I'd advise anyone overly paranoid about their car having keyless entry NOT to watch this video! :shock:
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

For anyone with a GTI+ do you feel safe enough with disabling the keyless entry when you exit the car or do you take any further security precautions?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 pm For anyone with a GTI+ do you feel safe enough with disabling the keyless entry when you exit the car or do you take any further security precautions?
I feel safe enough not disabling and using as intended. Depends where you live I suppose. North Tyneside is not known for car crime. Going off the forums, it would seem that if you have a Golf R or S3 and live in Coventry or Birmingham, you are highly likely to have your car stolen by burgling your house for the key.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

S_94 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 am When I've been exiting the GTI+ I've been pushing the little notch on the handle in to stop the car listening for the keyless entry. Means the next time I go to the car I have to use the fob.

Gives me a little bit of comfort but still on edge with the whole keyless entry system and people boosting signals.
Now thats something i didnt know about. I use the indent to lock the car and just place my hand in to unlock.