New Polo SE 95 - problems

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Crispy23
New
Drives: Polo SE95

New Polo SE 95 - problems

Post by Crispy23 »

We purchased a new Polo SE in March and about a week later in developed a horrible dash rattle/Vibration particularly when cold sometimes it went sometimes not.It went back to the dealer who identified some issue within the dash and after 2 weeks stated they had fixed it. On getting the car back two days later the handbrake failed so back it went again, at this point we rejected the car as in a month had only had it 9 days,and it just seemed a bad car.
To be fair to the supplying dealer they didn't hesitate in replacing the car and have provided a loan car until the replacement arrives however the loan car seems to have the same horrid rattle our original car did so we were just wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues with bad dash rattles, although It does seem though the handbrake is a common problem which hopefully they have fixed.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Re: New Polo SE 95 - problems

Post by MilgeS »

Just a thought, I have a rattle and discovered on another post on here that it's the handbrake button that vibrates! I have been looking for the post but can't find it now but someone commented about the button vibration and it was packed out somehow to stop it, I would love to find that post if anyone knows what I am on about as I wondered how it was packed?

Hopefully this is the rattle you mention :-)
CJ-77
New
Drives: Polo 1.0TSI SE

Post by CJ-77 »

MilgeS wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 pm Just a thought, I have a rattle and discovered on another post on here that it's the handbrake button that vibrates! I have been looking for the post but can't find it now but someone commented about the button vibration and it was packed out somehow to stop it, I would love to find that post if anyone knows what I am on about as I wondered how it was packed?

This one? viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72804&p=552636&hil ... ke#p552630 Andy Beats also had the same issue with a previous A3.

I would be interested to hear a recording of the noise from the OP or a more detailed description of the issue and where it appears to be coming from. I don't have any rattles so far in mine even after the honeymoon period (touches wood).
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

CJ-77 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm
MilgeS wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 pm Just a thought, I have a rattle and discovered on another post on here that it's the handbrake button that vibrates! I have been looking for the post but can't find it now but someone commented about the button vibration and it was packed out somehow to stop it, I would love to find that post if anyone knows what I am on about as I wondered how it was packed?

This one? viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72804&p=552636&hil ... ke#p552630 Andy Beats also had the same issue with a previous A3.

I would be interested to hear a recording of the noise from the OP or a more detailed description of the issue and where it appears to be coming from. I don't have any rattles so far in mine even after the honeymoon period (touches wood).
Yes, that's the one, thank you! Wonder if Andy Beats can shed any light on the cure please?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Mine has developed a horrible buzz/rattle from the dash when cold, disappears when warm.
TBH there's so many other rattles/buzzes from the interior trims and knocking from the tailgate that it doesn't surprise me another one has joined the party.
My Nissan Leaf was much better screwed together than the Polo.
Stereo on and try and ignore. :(
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The problem with getting the dealer to cure creaks and rattles that involve the removal of pieces of interior trim is;
  • The dealer inflicts damage to the trim and then deny it (has been known to happen before, based on what I’ve read on other VW forums). If you entrust eliminating trim creaks and rattles to the dealer, always take pictures of the interior trim before the dealer starts ripping the interior trim out.
  • You end up with more other creaks and rattles than you started with!
The alternative is to either turn up the stereo as Andy Beats has suggested, or consider getting a set of trim removal tools and some self adhesive foam stripping / pads, locate the source and sort it yourself.

The source of unwanted noises in a car can be very deceiving, so always best to get a volunteer passenger to track down the source of the noise while you’re driving
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

Had issues with my GTI+ like you have described. Vehicles been in and out dealer, and i've had courtesy cars that are completely rattle/buzz/creak free. It's not a major issue (unlike my previous DS7 Crossback) that will warrant rejecting it but it is disappointing.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I didn't expect a small car to be rattle free, nor did I expect a VW to be any better built than any other make.
So the fact it does rattle/buzz isn't unexpected or a huge annoyance.
The damn knocking from the tailgate area is though.
Our eldest sat in the back, folded down the seat and said it's definitely coming from under the false floor.
Next move is to remove the foam tray of puncture foam etc.
If the knocking continues, it's definitely a tailgate/trim/suspension issue, there will be literally nothing removable left in the boot. :roll:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:16 pm I didn't expect a small car to be rattle free, nor did I expect a VW to be any better built than any other make.
So the fact it does rattle/buzz isn't unexpected or a huge annoyance.
The damn knocking from the tailgate area is though.
Our eldest sat in the back, folded down the seat and said it's definitely coming from under the false floor.
Next move is to remove the foam tray of puncture foam etc.
If the knocking continues, it's definitely a tailgate/trim/suspension issue, there will be literally nothing removable left in the boot. :roll:
My tailgate is making contact with the rear bumper when closing, and hitting/rubbing the bumper when moving - could be the same with yours?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm My tailgate is making contact with the rear bumper when closing, and hitting/rubbing the bumper when moving - could be the same with yours?
I'll try jamming a towel in between the tailgate and body, see if that stops it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm My tailgate is making contact with the rear bumper when closing, and hitting/rubbing the bumper when moving - could be the same with yours?
I'll try jamming a towel in between the tailgate and body, see if that stops it.
Or a blob of blu tack at a few place where the tailgate bottom edge and the top of the rear bumper meet.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Weirdly, the very loud dashboard rattle that manifested itself on Sunday when cold and disappeared when warm hasn't resurfaced.
There's been no change to what's being carried inside the car.
Crispy23
New
Drives: Polo SE95

Post by Crispy23 »

Many thanks for the replies, the rattle on the car was really loud & seriously annoying in fact even with radio turned up quite loudly you could still here it. It appeared to be coming from behind the controls for the radio, it was obviously not a simple job to fix as it took the dealer 2 weeks to sort. However with just 200 miles on the clock you don't want the dash ripped out of your new pride & joy, we just hope the replacement car will be better, sadly it does appear though that the days of rattle free VW's have long gone.
Happy motoring
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm Weirdly, the very loud dashboard rattle that manifested itself on Sunday when cold and disappeared when warm hasn't resurfaced.
There's been no change to what's being carried inside the car.
Thermal expansion of plastic parts. Plastic expands far more under heat (% wise) than metal does. My old boss at ICI spent 2 years developing a plastic boot lid for the Mondeo Saloon. It couldn't be done to a satisfactory state due to the expansion of the boot lid on a hot day.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I heard something that sounded as though it was creaking from the dash but having followed this forum I remembered reading about the handbrake button.
I reached down and put my thumb on the button and the noise stopped.
I would never have guessed that or tracked it down had it not been for this forum.
The way sound reverberates inside the cabin would convince you that the sound is coming from in front of you.
Last edited by peeceeuk on Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.