GTI DSG shudder in second

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

GTI DSG shudder in second

Post by MattHGR »

Hi all,

Anyone experienced a rough second gear in their GTi or is it just me?

I notice it most when the engine is cold and I'm gently coming to a stop. It cycles down through the gears and when it reaches second, sometimes it can't decide whether to engage the gear (for engine braking) or coast the last bit to a stop.
The result is a jerky stop, since the gearbox can't decide whether to engage or not.
Doesn't happen all the time and only in second.
My guessing is I'm braking too gently, and as a result the car doesn't know whether to creep in gear or disengage so I can stop my

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTI DSG shudder in second

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:51 pm Hi all,

Anyone experienced a rough second gear in their GTi or is it just me?

I notice it most when the engine is cold and I'm gently coming to a stop. It cycles down through the gears and when it reaches second, sometimes it can't decide whether to engage the gear (for engine braking) or coast the last bit to a stop.
The result is a jerky stop, since the gearbox can't decide whether to engage or not.
Doesn't happen all the time and only in second.
My guessing is I'm braking too gently, and as a result the car doesn't know whether to creep in gear or disengage so I can stop my

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
I think it has happened to me twice since Aug 18, with extremely gentle deceleration in congested traffic. It can't decide whether to slip the clutch or switch to 1st - like you're about to stall in 2nd gear.
Dab1612
New
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by Dab1612 »

Had my Polo GTI + for just over a month and has done 1100 miles only. Had the previous GTI in Manual and never had any issues in the 4 years I owned it.

From new it has had a terrible rattling noise from the handbrake so booked it in to be rectified. I also told them about juddering at low speed and a sloshing noise while driving.

Went in today and parts ordered for handbrake. When asked about the juddering and noise oh yes we need the car for 3 days as a master technician needs to authorise a new gearbox!!!

A bit shocked to say the least, dealer says they haven’t come across this issue. Will let you know more next week when car goes back in.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Completely normal for DSG gearboxes. All of mine has done it. It’s only really noticeable if you are slowing down in traffic and momentarily dap the accelerator to prolong the deacceleration. The more you drive it the more you start learning it’s quirks and how it behaves.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Dab1612 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm Had my Polo GTI + for just over a month and has done 1100 miles only. Had the previous GTI in Manual and never had any issues in the 4 years I owned it.

From new it has had a terrible rattling noise from the handbrake so booked it in to be rectified. I also told them about juddering at low speed and a sloshing noise while driving.

Went in today and parts ordered for handbrake. When asked about the juddering and noise oh yes we need the car for 3 days as a master technician needs to authorise a new gearbox!!!

A bit shocked to say the least, dealer says they haven’t come across this issue. Will let you know more next week when car goes back in.
Handbrake button rattle drives me nuts.
I was offered a solution on here but if VW can fix it, then they shall.
Please let me know how it works out.