Paint Issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Grubby
New
Drives: S4 Avant. Incoming GTI + (wife)

Paint Issue

Post by Grubby »

Hello All,
My GTI+ had build week 3/4/19 as many others had and I received the car a week or so ago. I have noticed that the car has some small paint defects that look like there is a tiny particle under the lacquer. The car is deep black pearl and the spots are on the top parts of the car excluding the roof and bonnet.
Has anyone else with the black or darker colour cars noticed anything?
Thanks.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Paint Issue

Post by SRGTD »

Are you sure it’s under the lacquer and not contaminants on the surface of the paint / lacquer?

This seems to be quite common with the Golf where industrial fallout (iron particles) can become embedded in the paint while the cars are parked alongside rail tracks waiting to be loaded onto train transporters to be taken to the port of embarkation. On light coloured cars (especially white) this iron fallout can feel rough to the touch and appears as small rust spots, and owners have been known to return their cars to the dealer complaining of rust.

If it’s surface contamination, I’d suggest using an iron fallout removal product such as Car Pro Iron-X or Valet Pro Dragon’s Breath. Follow the product instructions, and don’t use on warm bodywork or let the product dry on the paintwork.