Sensor and ACC

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Sensor and ACC

Post by peeceeuk »

I mentioned a sensor warning recently which thankfully hasn't popped up again but today I was heading for work in a section of motorway that is down to 50mph for miles... yawn.... and I noticed myself catching up quite quickly with the vehicle in front.
My ACC display looked as it does when it is on but there is no vehicle detected ahead.
I turned ACC off and back on and the vehicle in front registered in my display again.
Then it disappeared again but came back, so the illustration of the car flashed out of and back into the ACC display.
Each time it disappeared, the car acted as though there was no vehicle in front.

Has anybody else come across this?

I can imagine someone a little lazier, or too complacent with their driving aids, finding themselves getting completely caught out by this and ending up in a real mess.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: Sensor and ACC

Post by roywolfey »

peeceeuk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 pm I mentioned a sensor warning recently which thankfully hasn't popped up again but today I was heading for work in a section of motorway that is down to 50mph for miles... yawn.... and I noticed myself catching up quite quickly with the vehicle in front.
My ACC display looked as it does when it is on but there is no vehicle detected ahead.
I turned ACC off and back on and the vehicle in front registered in my display again.
Then it disappeared again but came back, so the illustration of the car flashed out of and back into the ACC display.
Each time it disappeared, the car acted as though there was no vehicle in front.

Has anybody else come across this?

I can imagine someone a little lazier, or too complacent with their driving aids, finding themselves getting completely caught out by this and ending up in a real mess.
Occasionally, but it’s a rare occurrence. That’s probably the same set of roadworks I pass through on my commute...
ACC can get caught out in roadworks, especially I’ve found when travelling close to a solid temporary barrier / lane divider.
The manual also mentions the that ACC can be impaired in roadworks.
I love the ACC and it’s one thing that now I’ve had it, I wouldn’t do without.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Re: Sensor and ACC

Post by peeceeuk »

Yes, it will be the same roadworks.
Thanks for the heads up on the barriers and sensor.
I started paying attention to what could be causing it and thought it might have had something to do with large lorries in the lane outside of me as I spotted the car in my display pop out for a while one went past. Once the lorry had cleared me, the car in my display reappeared.