Polo GTI manual?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
tricky_si
New
Drives: Want a POLO GTI

Polo GTI manual?

Post by tricky_si »

Does anyone have any info if/when we might expect a UK manual gearbox GTI? I know from a little digging that you used to be order one on the German configurator, and you still can on the Spanish site one so mayyyybe a UK release soon?

Whats the consensus on the DSG, (I've never driven a car with a DSG gearbox), I hear a manual would suit the car's power delivery better?

I've tried reaching out on the twitter channels to no avail, and to be honest I didnt expect any answers but worth a shot

Also trying to get my local dealer to actually get one in to test drive has been difficult to say the least...!

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Polo GTI manual?

Post by Andy Beats »

VAG have been steering people away from manuals towards DSG for years and years.
If there isn't already a manual, maybe doubtful there ever will be.
I think it's a shame, as I had DSG for three years and won't ever have it again.
But lots of people love it.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

I ordered my manual Polo GTI in April 2019 in Portugal but here too it's no longer an option just DSG... :(

Maybe it was one of the last orders that VW accepted here.

If at the time of the order DSG here the only option this wouldn't be the car that would choose although I like this version of Polo GTI.

From the experience I have of the DSG I don't like...
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

When the UK order books for the GTI / GTI+ models opened early last year, the indications were that a manual version would be introduced in Q4 of 2018 to the UK market. That didn’t happen, and we’re more than halfway through Q2 2019 so it’s looking unlikely that we’ll be getting a manual version now, and per proalves post above - in some markets where a manual version was available, it’s been pulled.

If you want to test drive one and your local dealer doesn’t have a demonstrator, you may have to look further afield. There are a few used examples for sale within the VW network now, so worth checking VW’s website to see if there are any for sale within a reasonable distance to you that you could go and drive.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

So does that mean if anybody gets one, it will be something of a rarity and possibly worth preserving or maybe even garaging?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

peeceeuk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 pm So does that mean if anybody gets one, it will be something of a rarity and possibly worth preserving or maybe even garaging?
Germany and the Czech Republic got manual GTIs, perhaps not so rare in their native countries. I'd probably not given a thought to having a DSG if manual was available.

I got a great price for my 46 month old Golf R a month or so ago, possibly partially due to the rarity of a manual gearbox (and picking Pretoria wheels). DSG is ok, but you adapt to it to minimise the effect of its foibles once you figure out exactly how it works in all situations. I'd rather have the full control of a manual.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I'm quite enjoying the DSG.
I do understand the engamenet side of a manual in such a beefy car though.
I love driving but having developed knee problems over the years, removing even the use of clutch and how I can adjust my seating position because of that is going to make the longer journeys much easier and less painful.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

When Audi came out with the mid-2000s S3, they only released it in manual with no DSG option.
Their reason for doing this was (paraphrasing) "we do not feel DSG will allow the S3 driver the control required for spirited driving"
In other words, they knew fine an S3 driver wanted more control than DSG offers.
In time they relented and offered DSG.
Maybe the latest S3 is even DSG only, I've no clue.
It was just an interesting snub to DSG that I quite enjoyed at the time, not being a fan of it.
JoshBacon
New

Post by JoshBacon »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 pm VAG have been steering people away from manuals towards DSG for years and years.
I think it's a shame, as I had DSG for three years and won't ever have it again.
Why? Why have VW been steering people away from manuals and towards DSG gearboxes for years and years?

And also, why doesn’t VW offer the Polo GTI with a manual gearbox in the UK?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

JoshBacon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08 am
Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 pm VAG have been steering people away from manuals towards DSG for years and years.
Why? Why have VW been steering people away from manuals and towards DSG gearboxes for years and years?

And also, why doesn’t VW offer the Polo GTI with a manual gearbox in the UK?
DSG commands £1450 more of your money and has better emissions and economy in test conditions- but not in reality.

With launch control some VWs have noticeably better 0-62 times. Without launch control, DSG is no faster than manual sequentially, and dropping multiple cogs for an overtake (6<3), DSG is noticeably slower. I'd have bought manual if it were an option.

Having a manual Up! for the last few days, I've remembered how much I enjoy using a manual box (and no, the manual option on the DSG is no real substitute, having to go up and down gears sequentially). With the Up! being geared so highly, with so little power and torque, you have to rev the nuts off 2nd and 3rd to get any acceleration, so 5th at 40 to 2nd needs to be done every once in a while.

My Polo GTI's squeaky suspension is apparently fixed, but I found out too late to collect it last night.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

well if you dont really care about warranty etc ... polo gti with manual exist in lhd variant. So buy all needed parts, probably new ecu and do some magic in garage. :D Not really sure if it will be legal in GB or of it is possible to make it legal but In theory it should be doable and in my country it would even be possible to make it legal (for a price tho).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm sure it would be legal to do in the UK, but the insurance complications would make it unfeasible, besides the cost. Really don't why VW won't offer it as an option in the UK besides guaranteeing extra income. If they wanted to maximise fuel economy, I'm sure there are small gains to be had by fitting the DQ381 7 speed wet clutch box that the Golf GTI/R now get.

I don't despise the DSG, I'd have just liked to have the option.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

They don't offer manual GTI anymore and anywhere since production of LHD polo moved to SA. This actualy puts manual GTi's into wierdly rare position. They were in production for less than a year, all of them are build in Spain, in my country was sold only 110 of them and I personaly know only about 3 other cars in whole country. :shock: They might offer manual again in future. All engineering behind it was already done but I think VW will push DSG only as they did with Golf GTI. Honestly many of owners just want automatic and few petrol heads don't matter that much to them. :cry: