GTI tyre change

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ChrisEdw
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

GTI tyre change

Post by ChrisEdw »

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone has changed their tyres from the standard fit ones. I’ve got Bridgestone turanzas on the brescia’s and they aren’t great at all, tramp so easily with even half throttle 😡😂

If you’ve changed your tyres could you let me know what too and your experiences please!

I’ve also included a photo of my car as I always love seeing everyone else’s spec 😂
Attachments
A6659C06-B0A9-4696-ACDC-C06ED4255AE4.jpeg
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Re: GTI tyre change

Post by peeceeuk »

Pretty certain your most common response is going to be Michelin PS4.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

On the advice of a forum member 'monkeyhanger' I swapped them out for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Only had it done Saturday but I can already feel a massive difference driving the car. Much better grip on the road and the wheels don't spin nowhere near as much as they did with the Bridgestones. Other guys on here will be able to give you a better review, I'm loving them though!
Attachments
IMG_20190504_130254__01__01.jpg
IMG_20190601_124326.jpg
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

Had Bridgestones and Continentals on previous two Golf Rs. Different car I know but Continentals far superior to Bridgestones. VW must get a good deal with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

S_94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:56 pm On the advice of a forum member 'monkeyhanger' I swapped them out for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Only had it done Saturday but I can already feel a massive difference driving the car. Much better grip on the road and the wheels don't spin nowhere near as much as they did with the Bridgestones. Other guys on here will be able to give you a better review, I'm loving them though!
Are they 215 or 225? If the latter is it as simple as remove old and fit new or are there any tricks to accommodate the larger tyre?
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm Are they 215 or 225? If the latter is it as simple as remove old and fit new or are there any tricks to accommodate the larger tyre?
Stock tyres are 215/40 but getting MPS4's in that size are quite costly as they are an uncommon size. If getting MPS4's then go for the 225/40 size and you should be able to get 4 for a good price.

As for fitment monkeyhanger had to adjust some wheel arch lining to make sure there was no rubbing although he suggested that he only had to do that due to poor factory fitment. There are a few others here that are running the bigger tyres with no issues.

I have four alloys and the MPS4's fitted to them ready to go onto my GTI when it arrives.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:56 pm On the advice of a forum member 'monkeyhanger' I swapped them out for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Only had it done Saturday but I can already feel a massive difference driving the car. Much better grip on the road and the wheels don't spin nowhere near as much as they did with the Bridgestones. Other guys on here will be able to give you a better review, I'm loving them though!
Are they 215 or 225? If the latter is it as simple as remove old and fit new or are there any tricks to accommodate the larger tyre?
225 width fit the Brescia wheel perfectly as the wheel is 7.5J width, the same width as 18" "Parker" (known as Milton Keynes outside the UK?) wheels fitted to the Golf GTI, which come on 225/40 R18 as standard.

Buy the 225s - cheapest I've see 215 Michelin PS4 is £140 each, whereas the 225 variant are £98 fitted at the same supplier (Costco).

Just as good on fuel as Bridgestones, quieter, more flexible (comfortable ride), far better grip on corners tons more traction for pulling away without "tramping".
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm Are they 215 or 225? If the latter is it as simple as remove old and fit new or are there any tricks to accommodate the larger tyre?
Stock tyres are 215/40 but getting MPS4's in that size are quite costly as they are an uncommon size. If getting MPS4's then go for the 225/40 size and you should be able to get 4 for a good price.

As for fitment monkeyhanger had to adjust some wheel arch lining to make sure there was no rubbing although he suggested that he only had to do that due to poor factory fitment. There are a few others here that are running the bigger tyres with no issues.

I have four alloys and the MPS4's fitted to them ready to go onto my GTI when it arrives.
The wheel arch lining on the rear drivers side was bowed out due to factory fitment. Easy fix if it happens to anyone.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm
225 width fit the Brescia wheel perfectly as the wheel is 7.5J width, the same width as 18" "Parker" (known as Milton Keynes outside the UK?) wheels fitted to the Golf GTI, which come on 225/40 R18 as standard.

Buy the 225s - cheapest I've see 215 Michelin PS4 is £140 each, whereas the 225 variant are £98 fitted at the same supplier (Costco).

Just as good on fuel as Bridgestones, quieter, more flexible (comfortable ride), far better grip on corners tons more traction for pulling away without "tramping".
Thanks monkeyhanger. So its as simple as going to the tyre joint, fitting, balancing, and off you go. Good to hear.
I wonder if VW would give me stick about warranty since that tyre size was not supplied as standard. I do find the Bridgestone Turanza quite noisy.
Tramping, does that mean old school wheel spin? Or more like a bouncing effect?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks monkeyhanger. So its as simple as going to the tyre joint, fitting, balancing, and off you go. Good to hear.
I wonder if VW would give me stick about warranty since that tyre size was not supplied as standard. I do find the Bridgestone Turanza quite noisy.
Tramping, does that mean old school wheel spin? Or more like a bouncing effect?
Tramping is wheelspin with thumping of the wheels on the road - the wheelspin happens with the 2 wheels wanting to move forward at different speeds with different rates of wheelspin and so the front wheels end up shuffling/walking forward.

Should be no effect on warranty unless you're talking warranty on the wheels themselves e.g. tyre fitter compromises the coating on the diamond cut wheels and they get cosmetic corrosion (white worm) - no replacements under warranty.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 pmtyre fitter compromises the coating on the diamond cut wheels and they get cosmetic corrosion (white worm) - no replacements under warranty.
How would this happen mate? When they fitted my tyres they were having issues getting air into them and had to use this black liquid/shampoo thing on the seals (apparently a common issue with Michelin tyres?). They washed down the alloys afterwards, there were no marks on them or anything.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 pmtyre fitter compromises the coating on the diamond cut wheels and they get cosmetic corrosion (white worm) - no replacements under warranty.
How would this happen mate? When they fitted my tyres they were having issues getting air into them and had to use this black liquid/shampoo thing on the seals (apparently a common issue with Michelin tyres?). They washed down the alloys afterwards, there were no marks on them or anything.
Just saying that it can happen if the tyre fitter of your choosing is using crap equipment and a poor technique in getting the old tyre off and a new tyre on. The inner rim edge of one of my wheels is scraped to buggery, you can't see it with the tyre on. It must've happened or already been present at the VW factory because dropping or rolling the wheel along the ground wouldn't have done what was done. It was noticed by the Costco tech when taking the recently fitted Michelin PS4 off for a look at a puncture to repair. They brought it to my attention straight away. I know that the guy who fitted the PS4 didn't drop or roll the wheel becaue I saw him remove the Bridgestone and fit the PS4 on all wheels (not close enough to see any scraping already there and the guy didn't bring it to my attention that the scrape was there when swapping tyres. So I may have a whiteworm timebomb on my hands with 1 wheel if the tyre doesn't provide a great moisture barrier to the scraping. If the wife ends up kerbing a wheel or 2 on hers, I may get that wheel done with her scraped wheels to get a set powder coated. You'd have to really clout the wheel with a PS4 on, considering the protection lip on them - not sure if the tyre would be buggered if you managed to scrape the alloy.

Didn't have any seal issues on either set of PS4s between the 2 cars - they did use that white lubricant stuff that dries like toothpaste and you have to work hard to get it off.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 pm
Just saying that it can happen if the tyre fitter of your choosing is using crap equipment and a poor technique in getting the old tyre off and a new tyre on. The inner rim edge of one of my wheels is scraped to buggery, you can't see it with the tyre on. It must've happened or already been present at the VW factory because dropping or rolling the wheel along the ground wouldn't have done what was done. It was noticed by the Costco tech when taking the recently fitted Michelin PS4 off for a look at a puncture to repair. They brought it to my attention straight away. I know that the guy who fitted the PS4 didn't drop or roll the wheel becaue I saw him remove the Bridgestone and fit the PS4 on all wheels (not close enough to see any scraping already there and the guy didn't bring it to my attention that the scrape was there when swapping tyres. So I may have a whiteworm timebomb on my hands with 1 wheel if the tyre doesn't provide a great moisture barrier to the scraping. If the wife ends up kerbing a wheel or 2 on hers, I may get that wheel done with her scraped wheels to get a set powder coated. You'd have to really clout the wheel with a PS4 on, considering the protection lip on them - not sure if the tyre would be buggered if you managed to scrape the alloy.

Didn't have any seal issues on either set of PS4s between the 2 cars - they did use that white lubricant stuff that dries like toothpaste and you have to work hard to get it off.
Right okay wish I inspected the alloys now when they removed the Bridgestones but oh well just got to hope they've done a good job (I think they have). Fingers crossed for you the whiteworm doesn't become an issue.
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 pm Didn't have any seal issues on either set of PS4s between the 2 cars - they did use that white lubricant stuff that dries like toothpaste and you have to work hard to get it off.
I'm guessing they used the same on mine then, except in black which has been causing me a massive headache since having them fitted. When me and my dad drove away and got home I noticed loads of black marks around the wheel arches that had sprayed up onto the paintwork. We got the power washer out and gave the wheels a really good clean (roughly 3 times now) but there's still bits of black squirting off onto the paintwork around the wheel arches and doors. Got to work this morning and noticed the front drivers wheel still had some fresh marks (albeit very minor) so hopefully it's almost all out. Back wheel arches and passenger one is fine now.

Just really hope it's not going to damage the paintwork.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

After doing a little homework I found Michelin PS4 215/40 R18 89Y XL MI tyres for less than the Bridgestone Turanza's that came fitted to my car.
https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/mich ... rt-4/11060
Suppose I gotta burn these ones out so I can replace them already :P
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

I also considered changing tyres but not so sure anymore.
Main discussion has been traction on pull away or accelerating from standstill.
Having watched various videos of the Polo GTI 0-100km/h.
On the Michelin PS4 6.6 and 6.7 average times on normal road conditions. On a race circuit 6.0 seconds flat.

https://youtu.be/1lSsmIZTYVU

https://youtu.be/Um5Q2pwhOto

On the Turanza Tyres tested with VBOX also achieves 6.6 and 6.7 on various runs.
One Magazine tested at a test facility which is 2km above sea level and achieve 6.7 seconds 0-100km/h.
https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/road-tes ... f-16763421

https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/citizen. ... boxes/amp/

The Turanza Tyres is Bridgestone Touring Tyre.
The Pilot Sport 4 is more sport focused.
Primacy Tyres is Michelin Touring Tyres.
:|