Rubbing noise from wheels

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Rubbing noise from wheels

Post by MattHGR »

Hi, noticed a problem that seems to have become more noticeable in the recent week.

When I turn at low speed (half lock or more, either direction), I can hear a rubbing noise that sounds like it's coming from both wheels.
Anyone else experienced this ?

Just decoding whether it is a dealership visit or not as my car is only 5 weeks old ish.

Polo GTI +
17 Parker wheels
All stock no modifications
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Rubbing noise from wheels

Post by S_94 »

I've noticed the same thing Matt. More so when I'm parking up and I'm full locking the steering wheel, mine is more of a creaking noise. I've actually only noticed it since having the tyres changed but it could have been there all along. Mostly got music on so I don't hear it. Will definitely keep an eye on it though.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Sounds like something that was discussed recently over on golfgtiforum.co.uk forum - a forum member was experiencing a similar noise during low speed manoeuvres. Link to thread;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php ... msg2604936
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

S_94 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:40 pm I've noticed the same thing Matt. More so when I'm parking up and I'm full locking the steering wheel, mine is more of a creaking noise. I've actually only noticed it since having the tyres changed but it could have been there all along. Mostly got music on so I don't hear it. Will definitely keep an eye on it though.
I have the same noise. Some days it silent and other days creaky noise at parking speeds or going up drive ways.

Seems to be a common issue on the GTI.

Some people says it the bearing and mass part on the suspension.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

I've also had this from day one, the arch linings are quite flexible though so I'm not worried
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

JMiddo94 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:43 pm I've also had this from day one, the arch linings are quite flexible though so I'm not worried
I will investigate this too, you could be on to something.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

MattHGR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 pm Hi, noticed a problem that seems to have become more noticeable in the recent week.

When I turn at low speed (half lock or more, either direction), I can hear a rubbing noise that sounds like it's coming from both wheels.

Just decoding whether it is a dealership visit or not as my car is only 5 weeks old ish.

Polo GTI +
17 Parker wheels
Dealer found that wheel arch lining on mine was rubbing the wheel. they replaced under warranty...i didn't even notice until it was solved (just thought there was alot of tire noise)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

chris.tayler wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am
MattHGR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 pm Hi, noticed a problem that seems to have become more noticeable in the recent week.

Polo GTI +
17 Parker wheels
Dealer found that wheel arch lining on mine was rubbing the wheel. they replaced under warranty...i didn't even notice until it was solved (just thought there was alot of tire noise)
Has it been rubbing the tyre or the wheel? If the wheel, I'd be concerned about the integrity of the lacquer coat being worn and allowing white worm cosmetic corrosion to develop.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Not sure if its the same thing but I heard it as well today while parking up at the dealer. For me it sounded as if the tyres "rub" on the inner lining of the wheel arch when the front wheels are locked either side. Checked the tyres for any noticeable marks but all was clear.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:45 am
chris.tayler wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am

Polo GTI +
17 Parker wheels
Has it been rubbing the tyre or the wheel? If the wheel, I'd be concerned about the integrity of the lacquer coat being worn and allowing white worm cosmetic corrosion to develop.
It was the tire, not the alloy wheel sorry.
AND_031
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.0 TSI 95hp 2019

Post by AND_031 »

The same problem on my 1.0TSI here. I hope it is nothing serious.