2019 R-Line - Engine Rusting!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Mch101
New
Drives: Polo R Line

Post by Mch101 »

So I've had my car for 2 weeks after waiting 6 months from ordering it and already started to have issues with it.

The car has just done under 500miles and I've had to top of the coolant and noticed the stop-start doesn't work due to High Power Consumption (Even though I have nothing else running apart from the engine)- I do get a battery light coming on when the car isn't running, but that is like 4-5mins afterwards.

When taking a closer inspection of the engine, I've noticed rust in parts. This surely isn't normal for a car that is less 500 miles.
Engine Rust
Engine Rust
Engine Rust 1
Engine Rust 1
Be good to know what your views are!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: 2019 R-Line - Engine Rusting!

Post by Adam_013 »

I'd say it's perfectly normal. It's only surface rust, nothing to worry about. My car is also very similar, despite now being a year old and 13,000 miles. It certainly hasn't got any worse.

As for stop-start I couldn't comment. I've only had the high power consumption flash up once, but also had nothing else running.

Unsure if it could be GPF related or something similar... Something which the Pre MY19 vehicles didn't have.
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

Iron or steel parts will rust. I would have thought you would only get high power consumption with high load on battery. ie aircon, heated rear window on. My Gti engine seems to stop too much even though aircon has been on constant due to hot weather. I don’t think the 2.0tsi has to work very hard in a Polo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

On the subject of that smart charging could come into play and decide the battery simply isn't charged enough for stop-start to activate.

I'd imagine the 2.0TSi wouldn't have to worry about smart charging so much due to the increased output. The 1.0 units are very noticeable (you can hear the fan speed alter when you let off the throttle, wiper speed drop, etc).
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Mch101 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm So I've had my car for 2 weeks after waiting 6 months from ordering it and already started to have issues with it.

The car has just done under 500miles and I've had to top of the coolant and noticed the stop-start doesn't work due to High Power Consumption (Even though I have nothing else running apart from the engine)- I do get a battery light coming on when the car isn't running, but that is like 4-5mins afterwards.

When taking a closer inspection of the engine, I've noticed rust in parts. This surely isn't normal for a car that is less 500 miles.

20190602_123652.jpg
20190602_123716.jpg

Sometimes when the cooling system is filled at the factory, air can get trapped in the system. If so, the air normally works it’s way out of the system during the first few weeks and when it does, the coolant level will drop as the coolant fills the the parts of the system where the air was trapped. I’d suggest you just keep an eye on the level now you’ve topped it up to make sure it doesn’t drop any further.

Rust on the iron or steel parts in your pictures isn’t anything to worry about and it isn’t uncommon - as Blackpug has said (unpainted) iron and steel parts will rust. This seems to happen quite a lot on the wheel hubs on the mk7 Golf. If you do an internet search on ‘mk7 Golf rusty wheel hubs’ you’ll see lots of owners have experienced this.

If the high power consumption warning keeps appearing and stop start doesn’t work when you’re not using anything to drain the battery, that suggests your battery might not be holding its charge (either faulty battery or alternator maybe?). Might be one to get checked out by the dealer.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm If the high power consumption warning keeps appearing and stop start doesn’t work when you’re not using anything to drain the battery, that suggests your battery might not be holding its charge (either faulty battery or alternator maybe?). Might be one to get checked out by the dealer.
Also to add if the car is used infrequently and only used on short journeys the battery will never reach optimal voltage for the stop-start to kick in. It will say high load but that really means voltage not high enough.

If on long journeys and by the end the start-stop still doesn't work then it might indicate battery or alternator failure.

Another thing to look out for is if you have the fan speed for the cabin set to high, 3 or higher, the stop start on my car wont operate as it knows you are trying to heat/cool the cabin rapidly and prevents stop start kicking in to aid in that.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

l3rady wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:48 pm
SRGTD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm If the high power consumption warning keeps appearing and stop start doesn’t work when you’re not using anything to drain the battery, that suggests your battery might not be holding its charge (either faulty battery or alternator maybe?). Might be one to get checked out by the dealer.
Also to add if the car is used infrequently and only used on short journeys the battery will never reach optimal voltage for the stop-start to kick in. It will say high load but that really means voltage not high enough.

If on long journeys and by the end the start-stop still doesn't work then it might indicate battery or alternator failure.

Another thing to look out for is if you have the fan speed for the cabin set to high, 3 or higher, the stop start on my car wont operate as it knows you are trying to heat/cool the cabin rapidly and prevents stop start kicking in to aid in that.
I think you’re giving the intelligence of the car too much credit.

When you have high fan speed and aircon on early on trying to cool the car, it simply doesn’t stop/start because... “usage too high”. You’ll also notice as soon as the start stop kicks in the aircon and blower goes a notch down so to say, in order to consume less energy. After a while it “gives up” and kicks the engine back into revs.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

phillos wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm
I think you’re giving the intelligence of the car too much credit.

When you have high fan speed and aircon on early on trying to cool the car, it simply doesn’t stop/start because... “usage too high”. You’ll also notice as soon as the start stop kicks in the aircon and blower goes a notch down so to say, in order to consume less energy. After a while, it “gives up” and kicks the engine back into revs.
Maybe so but my current polo if I have it on 3 or 4 the stop-start will not kick in unless I notch it down to 2. Even after 3 hours of continuous driving and a full battery charge, the same thing happens in my car. Intelligent or not, it is something to maybe help the OP on understanding why the car won't stop start if the cabin fan speed is set high.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

My Ibiza has climate, and if the cabin temperature is too far from the set temperature then it will disable stop/start. On my previous Fabia, which had regular AC, the stop/start wouldn't operate when the temperature was set to cold and the fan on 3 or 4 and the AC switched on.

It's also worth pointing out that if you constantly do very short journeys, then the battery won't get fully charged up, and the stop/start won't operate brilliantly.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Mch101 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm So I've had my car for 2 weeks after waiting 6 months from ordering it and already started to have issues with it.

20190602_123652.jpg
20190602_123716.jpg

Getting back to the original subject, try and get a small wire brush around the item, then with a small brush coat with waxoil, give it a couple of coats.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ouch, I'd be ignoring that advice, that area is part of the turbo charger and they have a habit of getting quite hot!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

There's no "ouch" about it. mines OK never had any problem.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm There's no "ouch" about it. mines OK never had any problem.
Let's get this right, that part on your car was also rusting, and you cleaned it up and applied Waxoyl - does the Waxoyl not smell a bit when it burns off?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm
silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm There's no "ouch" about it. mines OK never had any problem.
Let's get this right, that part on your car was also rusting, and you cleaned it up and applied Waxoyl - does the Waxoyl not smell a bit when it burns off?
The wax will melt and just dribble off - or worst case (but unlikely) ignite and cause an engine bay fire.

There's a reason VW (and any other automotive company) don't paint parts that reach 800C - paints either degrade or combust at that temp.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Those parts look like they are cast iron, esp if they are part of the turbo\manifold, which is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I wouldn't try and clean them up and put anything on them as they get VERY hot, unless you want to spend a fortune on getting them ceramic coated which is pointless for anything other than a highly tuned race car.