Hood damage, opinions (tree branch damge)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AND_031
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.0 TSI 95hp 2019

Hood damage, opinions (tree branch damge)

Post by AND_031 »

Unfortunately during a heavy storm a tree branch fall on my 2 month old Polo and damaged the hood (pics below)
What is your opinion how should I manage this issue? I asked at the VW dealership and they told me that the whole hood will have to get painted :shock:
Are there any other options available?

And a video of it:

https://vimeo.com/338980955
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Hood damage, opinions (tree branch damge)

Post by SRGTD »

With such a new car, I’d want to have the best repair possible so it wasn’t possible to tell the hood had ever been damaged, and to get this, I think you will need to get the complete hood repainted.

You could get the opinion of other reputable professional body repair shops to see if they feel it’s necessary to repaint the whole hood. With Energetic Orange being a metallic paint colour, it may be difficult to get a good colour match with the rest of the hood if just the damaged area is repainted, hence why most good quality body repair shops will recommend repainting the whole hood. Some may also recommend blending the paintwork into the front fenders / wings to hide any slight paint colour mismatch between the hood and the fenders that might be present after the hood has been repainted.

I see you are in Macedonia. In the UK there are a number of companies that offer SMART (Small to Medium Area Repair Technology) repairs (I don’t know if you have these in Macedonia?). SMART repairs do involve just repairing / repainting the localised area that has been damaged and are usually much cheaper than a professional body repair shop. Some SMART repairers are mobile operators who come to your home to carry out the repairs. However, the repair quality may not be as good a repair carried out be reputable body repair shop, due to the environment the SMART repairer will be working in (outside in the open, rather than in a dust-free, environmentally controlled purpose built workshop) and the paint finish on the repaired area may fade over time.

In the UK, to ensure your corrosion and paintwork warranty remains valid, it is necessary for body repairs to be carried out by a VW approved body repair shop. This doesn’t have to be a VW dealer, as there are many independent body repair shops that are VW approved. The situation may be different in Macedonia though.

Good luck; I hope you get it sorted soon.