Weird clutch sound

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Weird clutch sound

Post by LeebzP »

Hi guys, I recently bought a 1.0 Comfort-line with an R-Line package installed[Manual transmission]. I noticed that when you're maneuvering the vehicle at really slow speeds (such as parking or reversing) the car, presumably the clutch, makes a weird sound - as if two surfaces are rubbing against each other. I know that at those speeds, the engine does indeed spin at a different speed relative to the drive-train but the sound is really loud and crude compared to other vehicles I've driven. Is anyone having a similar issue?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Weird clutch sound

Post by SRGTD »

There’s a recent thread here, where forum member MattHGR was experiencing a similar noise on their GTI+ during low speed manoeuvres;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73244

As the GTI/GTI+ is DSG only, it wouldn’t be the manual clutch on that car, so if the noise your car is making is similar, maybe it isn’t clutch-related?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I have a manual Polo.
I get a noticeable metallic 'knock' when I change into second at low speeds.
Like there's play in the transmission.
I don't feel it through the pedal or steering wheel (like it might be driveshaft related), but everyone in the car can definitely hear it.
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Post by LeebzP »

Yes, I also noticed that exact sound. I was getting worried until I heard it from another guy's car. I guess it's just inherent to the car's design.