Coming from a Golf GTI mk7.5

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Coming from a Golf GTI mk7.5

Post by monkeyhanger »

For every troublesome Polo, there'll be a troublesome Golf. Apart from upper door cards and interior door handles being lower grade plastic than the Golf, the Polo is pretty much on par for quality. The fact it's only 40kg lighter than the Golf is demonstration that they're just as solid. I've had 4 Golfs from new (2 × MK5 and 2 x MK7) - none have been fault-free. One had £7k warranty work on it. My Golf R had a new turbo at 6 months old, was in umpteen times for ACC issues.

Golfs are mainly built in Germany, but German built isn't assurance of a job well done. Globalised training, design, shared components and build techniques mean that a SA built Polo should be assembled every bit as well as a German built Golf or a Portuguese built Scirocco.

I did have both of my Sciroccos with no warranty claims.

DSG failure sounds like mechatronics unit has gone if it was sudden and catastrophic/non-responsive. The mechatronics unit sits in a bath of supposedly non-conductive oil. If that oil gets contaminated with anything that conducts, the unit fries. There are other ways for the mechatronics unit to pop.
Moots
New
Drives: Golf mk7.5 GTI

Post by Moots »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:07 pm For every troublesome Polo, there'll be a troublesome Golf. Apart from upper door cards and interior door handles being lower grade plastic than the Golf, the Polo is pretty much on par for quality. The fact it's only 40kg lighter than the Golf is demonstration that they're just as solid. I've had 4 Golfs from new (2 × MK5 and 2 x MK7) - none have been fault-free. One had £7k warranty work on it. My Golf R had a new turbo at 6 months old, was in umpteen times for ACC issues.

Golfs are mainly built in Germany, but German built isn't assurance of a job well done. Globalised training, design, shared components and build techniques mean that a SA built Polo should be assembled every bit as well as a German built Golf or a Portuguese built Scirocco.

DSG failure sounds like mechatronics unit has gone if it was sudden and catastrophic/non-responsive. The mechatronics unit sits in a bath of supposedly non-conductive oil. If that oil gets contaminated with anything that conducts, the unit fries. There are other ways for the mechatronics unit to pop.
Is it my imagination or did the Polo feel lighter? I guess it's just the steering is set to be heavier in the Golf.

Wonder if it's possible to amend it using VCDS.....
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

You can adjust it to be heavier with the driving modes, which I think is standard on the GTI and optional on everything else.
Moots
New
Drives: Golf mk7.5 GTI

Post by Moots »

vc-10 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:56 pm You can adjust it to be heavier with the driving modes, which I think is standard on the GTI and optional on everything else.
Yea, its still a lot lighter than the golf GTIs though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Moots wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:52 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:07 pm For every troublesome Polo, there'll be a troublesome Golf. Apart from upper door cards and interior door handles being lower grade plastic than the Golf, the Polo is pretty much on par for quality. The fact it's only 40kg lighter than the Golf is demonstration that they're just as solid. I've had 4 Golfs from new (2 × MK5 and 2 x MK7) - none have been fault-free. One had £7k warranty work on it. My Golf R had a new turbo at 6 months old, was in umpteen times for ACC issues.

Is it my imagination or did the Polo feel lighter? I guess it's just the steering is set to be heavier in the Golf.

Do you keep it in Sport mode? Polo and Golf GTI have variable ratio steering and my Polo's steering feels as heavy as my Golf GTD or R did with 225/40 R18.

Given that the Polo is about 10" shorter (most of that is lost in the bonnet rather than driver/passenger interior and the Polo is only 40kg (3%) lighter, the Polo is probably denser than Golf. Maybe on the 215 width tyres, the Polo feels lighter than the Golf on 225 (or 235 for 19" Pretorias), but mine's on 225/40 R18. The only weight missing over the front wheels for the Polo.is the battery, which is in the boot. Perhaps because of that, you could say that the Polo has better weight distribution than the Golf.

As a former Golf owner 4 times over, I really don't feel like I'm slumming it in the Polo. The Polo is 95% of the Golf for 70% of the money. I look at the Golf now and cannot justify the extra money for a few more horses, older dashboard tech, multilink rear suspension giving slightly better rear stability under harder driving(which better tyres fix) marginally better door cards and interior grab handles.

If VW weren't worried about the Polo treading on the Golf's toes, they could've given it.more ps and better door cards for no more tha an extra £500 RRP. Go the whole hog and give it multilink rear suspension for no more than £1500 more at RRP.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

If you compare the unladen weight of a Polo GTI DSG with a Golf GTI Performance DSG the difference is 90KG..

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo/w ... #tech-spec
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf/w ... #tech-spec
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

My comparison was made last Summer when I got my GTI+, with the facelifted non-performance (standard) GTI. Hadn't realised it had put on so many pounds (weight and cost) since the standard one was dropped. I presume PP/R bigger rear brakes are now standard across the Golf GTI variants, and that LSD must add a bit of weight - not 50kg though. That price! Almost £10k more than the GTI+, the Golf GTI is becoming less and less the people''s car. The most basic MK7 Golf GTI available has gone up almost 30% in 6 years. It's gained a bit of tech in that time, but that level of RRP inflation during a period of almost flat wage growth is crazy.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:40 pm My comparison was made last Summer when I got my GTI+, with the facelifted non-performance (standard) GTI. Hadn't realised it had put on so many pounds (weight and cost) since the standard one was dropped. I presume PP/R bigger rear brakes are now standard across the Golf GTI variants, and that LSD must add a bit of weight - not 50kg though. That price! Almost £10k more than the GTI+, the Golf GTI is becoming less and less the people''s car. The most basic MK7 Golf GTI available has gone up almost 30% in 6 years. It's gained a bit of tech in that time, but that level of RRP inflation during a period of almost flat wage growth is crazy.
I agree. The MK8 Golf may move the game on when it arrives but for now my money, and the substantial saving is represents over the Golf GTI, is on the Polo GTI+
I did consider a Golf and yes there are a few compromises like the plastics on the door trim, but overall not 10Ks worth, and for me the Polo does everything I want that the Golf could do and more.
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

I came from a 7.5R and nearly everyone that sees my Polo thinks it’s a Golf gti!! Size wise there isn’t much difference. Only thing is the boot is a wee bit smaller. Just approaching 1000 miles so have started using it in sport. It can shift [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

One is seeing a few more new Polos in this area, almost everytime I think "I wonder what aftermarket headlights are on that Go--, oh it's a Polo"....
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I came from a 2018 Golf R and the change is significant. But you get used to it (almost)
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by raysablade »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:31 pm

Do you keep it in Sport mode? Polo and Golf GTI have variable ratio steering and my Polo's steering feels as heavy as my Golf GTD or R did with 225/40 R18.

Given that the Polo is about 10" shorter (most of that is lost in the bonnet rather than driver/passenger interior and the Polo is only 40kg (3%) lighter, the Polo is probably denser than Golf. Maybe on the 215 width tyres, the Polo feels lighter than the Golf on 225 (or 235 for 19" Pretorias), but mine's on 225/40 R18. The only weight missing over the front wheels for the Polo.is the battery, which is in the boot. Perhaps because of that, you could say that the Polo has better weight distribution than the Golf.

As a former Golf owner 4 times over, I really don't feel like I'm slumming it in the Polo. The Polo is 95% of the Golf for 70% of the money. I look at the Golf now and cannot justify the extra money for a few more horses, older dashboard tech, multilink rear suspension giving slightly better rear stability under harder driving(which better tyres fix) marginally better door cards and interior grab handles.

If VW weren't worried about the Polo treading on the Golf's toes, they could've given it.more ps and better door cards for no more tha an extra £500 RRP. Go the whole hog and give it multilink rear suspension for no more than £1500 more at RRP.
Just about to complete an order a GTI+ for my wife and one brochure statement we relied on was that the 200ps models have multilink (Page 59 of the current brochure). It was something she noticed as a big improvement when she moved from a Skoda Yeti to her current Golf. Am I missing something? It’s one reason why she could not afford an A-Class.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Polo don't have multilink in rear
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:04 am Polo don't have multilink in rear
Yes, the brochure is incorrect and that information has been wrong since the first brochure was issued that included information on the Polo GTI.

VW UK seem to be quite good at having errors in their product information. For months, they were stating in the price list and the on line configurator that the optional Winter Pack included headlamp washers and heated windscreen washer jets when it had neither of these items. That error has now been rectified, but the rear suspension error has not.

You can see the GTI’s rear beam axle in the cutaway picture below;
729FD10B-2FB6-4AA3-A4D1-1634DC663256.jpeg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Maybe VW rely upon the fact that it is attached to the car in more than one place to call it multilink? It does have multiple links to the chassis but isn't independent rear suspension.

More than likely though, it is just a typo. Press releases suggested that GTI was going to get it.