Michelin PS4

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
aron.phelan
New

Michelin PS4

Post by aron.phelan »

Hi all. Can someone tell me what the correct ones to buy for my Polo GTI + 2019 with upgraded 18 inch wheels ?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Michelin PS4

Post by monkeyhanger »

aron.phelan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 pm Hi all. Can someone tell me what the correct ones to buy for my Polo GTI + 2019 with upgraded 18 inch wheels ?
Officially it's 215/40/R18. These are upwards of £140 a tyre. The 225/40/R18 is a much more common tyre size and fit the wheel just as well (7.5J is same wheel width as used on the Golf, which does routinely use 225/40/R18 tyre) - for just under £100 a corner fitted (£80 a corner fitted if you time it with a cashback deal).

If you look around other topics, the considerations made have been discussed in detail.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

See these are on offer again for anyone interested https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4-x-mi ... es-3268716
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I was checking the price of an MOT at my local garage, who is also a very keenly pricing independent tyre place, and I noticed that Michelin is again, or still handing back £100 when you get 4 18" and upwards tyres, just offering that as info for anyone thinking about buy Michelins in that range of sizes right now.
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Was considering this, but the insurance company would have to be notified and that would be a problem for us as our current insurers won't cover modifications (215 to 225 width). Maybe in 10 months time when it's renewal time. Anyone else had problems insuring this modification?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TurboTrev wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:15 pm Was considering this, but the insurance company would have to be notified and that would be a problem for us as our current insurers won't cover modifications (215 to 225 width). Maybe in 10 months time when it's renewal time. Anyone else had problems insuring this modification?
Did your insurance company tell you this, or are you just assuming they'll consider it a performance mod and refuse you?

225/40 R18 is a perfectly a acceptable tyre for a 7.5J width wheel. The Golf GTI, GTD and R, as well as the A3/S3 on 18" wheels are on 225/40 R18 tyres. The 225/40 R18 is the common tyre size for 7.5J wheels, as the tyre is considered smack in the middle of acceptable tyre width range for the wheel.

VW have undoubtedly got an exceptional deal on the 215/40 tyres or opted for them to squeeze into a lower CO2 band by putting 5% less tyre surface on the road.

215/40 R18 are a niche tyre size, hence being massively costlier than a 225/40 R18 tyre. 225s are safer - better grip, more contact with the road - if any insurance company considers the tyre change a performance mod then they are idiots.

Not many garages keep 215/40 R18s in stock, most keep 225/40 R18 in stock. Picture you getting a puncture a long distance from home, your space saver is only good for 80 miles as it's a really soft compound and only has 2mm of tread. You have to get a new tyre. You stop at your nearest tyre place and decide to get 2 tyres, but they only have 225s in stock...what do you do?
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

^^^ Just assuming it as they have a blanket no modifications policy (unless factory fitted). I agree that 225 tyres fit the 7.5j rim fine and it would be my preferred option. However, imho, it would be something that would need to be notified to an insurance company. The (small) extra width, as you say, gives greater road contact and, therefore, would increase cornering speed, albeit not so much as you would notice. If I did this mod, to be safe, I would certainly notify my insurance (not suggesting you haven't, by the way).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TurboTrev wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:43 am ^^^ Just assuming it as they have a blanket no modifications policy (unless factory fitted). I agree that 225 tyres fit the 7.5j rim fine and it would be my preferred option. However, imho, it would be something that would need to be notified to an insurance company. The (small) extra width, as you say, gives greater road contact and, therefore, would increase cornering speed, albeit not so much as you would notice. If I did this mod, to be safe, I would certainly notify my insurance (not suggesting you haven't, by the way).
The change in brand to something with a decent compound will have far more of an effect on cornering speed capability than the extra width.

If you want to do this, tell the insurance company that you've ran over some glass in the road, knackered 2 of your tyres and need to replace, but the 215s are going to take days to order in, but they have 225s in stock which other VWs with 18" wheels same width as yours use as standard. Say that the tyre place guy says they're a direct fit.

They'll tell you there and then whether they consider it a mod to add tyres 5% wider on the tread, or whether they'll say "not bothered".

I don't personally consider it a declarable mod, it's a wear and tear item that is suited to the wheels provided - anyone In the wheel/tyre industry will back up the fact that 225s are suited to 7.5J wheels-.

Having 225 tyres isn't a performance mod, nor will it make your car a magnet for thieves - and that's what the insurance company are concerned with.

Would you tell your insurance company if you changed brake pads from OEM to another brand when they're done in?
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

^^I take your points, but in my experience insurance companies require you to declare any changes from the original spec., performance or otherwise, not that they'll necessarily increase the premium as a consequence. All I am really saying is, if it were me making the change, to be safe, I would certainly declare it.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I probably would worry me a bit as well wrt insurance, so I'd be telling them to cover my tail.

When my wife had a 2002 Polo SE it came from factory with 15" alloys that were 195/50 and like this GTI size being discussed were more expensive than 195/55 - so it seemed that lots of people ended up fitting them instead of the factory fitted 195/50, but I'm sure that not many if any got into a mess with their insurer by doing that.

Might never happen - though it might, feeling lucky or what.

One thing about the previous version of Fabia/Polo/Ibiza was, VW Group never fully recertified the newer models, so as they carried the same EU homologation number, or that was what was quoted on all official paperwork, people felt free to fit any wheel or tyre sizes from "day one" - though I don't know if any ended up in trouble for doing that either! I for one deliberately avoided fitting 195/?? X 15 winter tyres to a spare set of wheels I bought for my wife's 2015 6C Polo even although that was a tyre size fitted to certain Polo models, going instead for 185/?? X 15 as that used on many 6C Polos.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Just reading the "Auto Express" this week and they had done product tests, saw this old thread on tyres, so I thought it might come in handy for members with the lower BHP polo models. I have listed them, but not sure if they have the sizes for the Polo.
I have not listed the prices quoted in the mag as you can get them a lot cheaper through "Black circle Tyres"

Summer Tyres.
Winner
Continental Premium Contact 6
Commended
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

Winter Tyres.
Winner
Continental Winter contact TS860
Commended
Hankook Winter I*cept RS2
Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance Gen-1
Pirelli Cinturato Winter

All-Season Tyres.
Winner
Continental All Season Contact
Commended
Michelin Cross Climate +
Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen-2
Nokian Weatherproof
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Can someone tell me what the rim protection is like on the PS4? It's great on Primacy 3, but not so good on Primacy 4..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:04 pm Can someone tell me what the rim protection is like on the PS4? It's great on Primacy 3, but not so good on Primacy 4..
Very good - there's a rim overhang of about 8mm. You'd have to seriously clout the tyre to scrape the wheel.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm
roywolfey wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:04 pm Can someone tell me what the rim protection is like on the PS4? It's great on Primacy 3, but not so good on Primacy 4..
Very good - there's a rim overhang of about 8mm. You'd have to seriously clout the tyre to scrape the wheel.
Cheers Squire, that's confirmed my decision to move over from the Primacy to the PS4s on my 17" Parkers when the time comes, although I'm currently 18K Miles in and the Primacys are still going strong. At this rate I'll see 20K on the original tyres. :shock: :lol:
jbGTI
New
Drives: GTI

Post by jbGTI »

For those with a GTI.

I have changed the tires to a set of Michelin PS4's from the Bridgestone Turanzas that came standard with the car.

Unfortunately, as I expected a significant improvement specifically with regard to tramping or wheel spin when taking off, the PS4's in my opinion, are only above marginally better. Anything half throttle whilst pulling away still spins the tires and traction control kicks in. Launch control is almost rendered useless as the car just spins in first gear before gaining any sort of traction. On cornering, the car does feel better glued to the road, but again have to careful with the throttle. Road noise is better than the PS4's and comfort is about the same compared to the Turanza's.

I initially damaged a the Bridgestone Turanza tire on a pothole, and essentially, being in South Africa, not VW or any tyre shop or dealership had stock of a Bridgestone Turanza in the specified 215/40/18 size. So long story short, VW SA agreed to then change all four of my tires to another brand with me just paying for the single damaged tire. I was given an option of Yokohamas vs the Michellin PS4's, and after some research naturally agreed and expected the PS4's to be quite superior.

I have played around with tire pressures on the front tires and nothing really seems to help with the wheelspin. Perhaps could try warming up the tyres before using launch control but anyone experience similar?