Epic fail......

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Epic fail......

Post by steeve »

All packed up and off we go on holiday to France. Tunnel and hotel booked and paid for. 200 metres from home DSG failed.

VW assistance called, major repair on a 3 months old car with 2000 miles on the clock.

Waiting for it to be collected and returned to dealer, I'm not sure I can ever trust it again.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Epic fail......

Post by RUM4MO »

Shocking, safer hiring a Ford or Pug for this trip!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

There’s been a few instances of a faulty DSG gear selector on the GTI+ being reported by forum members, leaving them stranded.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Oh wow thats shocking and couldn't have happened at a worse time, was there an sign of issues beforehand or was it a sudden failure? Are you being taken care of with a car for your holiday?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I assuming its a GTI w/DSG?

Something I've noticed a few times but more so recently is when pulling away under accelaration the gear changes but then there is nothing for like a second or two and then the next gear engages...from there on its fine. Really weird but not sure if its a sign of problems to come or not. Motor warranty will tell.
steeve
Bronze Member

Post by steeve »

I noticed it hesitating changing gear a few days back, but it was hardly noticeable, then yesterday it changed a bit abrubtly just once.

Being taken care of? Not at all, the VW assistance was quite quick, we reported the failure at 7.10 am and he turned up around 8.45am. We still are carless, we were hoping they would provide us with a car in time to start our holiday, late but with a changed tunnel time, but the latest time we could leave was hours ago. But its now getting on for five pm and no sign of another vehicle despite lots of promises. So we are out of pocket by around £500 and no interest at all from VW customer care.
Good job it failed near home and we havent been waiting at the side of the road for ten hours. I've just called VW and their supplier decided by themselves we didnt want a car and cancelled our loan vehicle for the second time without telling us or VW.
Our car was taken to our supplying dealer, who 'might' get to look at it on thursday!

We must have had around ten new VW's over the years and I'm shocked with the poor service and response. I'm starting to look at replacing our three month old Polo but it wont be with another VW........
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Seems to be dsg mechatronic issue.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Similarly, I've had 10 new VWs in the last 20 years, and gave never been particularly impressed with VWUK's ability to resolve situations, from a truly abysmal major repair, to an epic wait for a Golf R (VWUK cancelled my order but didn't provide a reason to me or let the dealership know). Most recently, they denied a claim on a poorly fitted tailgate due to a sneaky warranty timing clause for adjustment. They don't consider themselves accountable for their actions or those of their agents and the faceless non-VW call centre conveys messages only, you cannot talk to a decision maker directly.

Customer service rating for VWUK is rock bottom on all the major review sites.

It's a good job their cars are a cut above average to drive and have good residuals to offset the high RRP, otherwise I'd have kicked them into touch ages ago.

VW assist is supposed to provide all kinds of help in your situation in the UK and mainland Europe. Will travel insurance cover.
gobsteruk
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by gobsteruk »

monkeyhanger wrote:Similarly, I've had 10 new VWs in the last 20 years, and gave never been particularly impressed with VWUK's ability to resolve situations, from a truly abysmal major repair, to an epic wait for a Golf R (VWUK cancelled my order but didn't provide a reason to me or let the dealership know). Most recently, they denied a claim on a poorly fitted tailgate due to a sneaky warranty timing clause for adjustment. They don't consider themselves accountable for their actions or those of their agents and the faceless non-VW call centre conveys messages only, you cannot talk to a decision maker directly.

Customer service rating for VWUK is rock bottom on all the major review sites.

It's a good job their cars are a cut above average to drive and have good residuals to offset the high RRP, otherwise I'd have kicked them into touch ages ago.

VW assist is supposed to provide all kinds of help in your situation in the UK and mainland Europe. Will travel insurance cover.
VW assist were brilliant with our polo GT , about 3 weeks after we took delivery the clock spring broke, Rang VW assist, they picked the car up from work and dropped a golf GTi off to use for a couple of days while they replaced the clock spring in ours, then delivered our car back to work and took the golf away with them. Can't fault that service.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

steeve
Bronze Member

Post by steeve »

Almost a week on and VW have no clue as to when a new mechatronic unit will be available.

We need to get on with our life, we need to rebook our French trip, a special trip to visit a relatives grave (WW1) on the Somme. But until we know when our car will be fixed it's difficult.
steeve
Bronze Member

Post by steeve »

Two weeks to the day and the car has been returned, hopefully fixed. Though we both have a feeling that we are unable to trust the reliability.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I work as maintenance guy for one of VW supliers. Honestly sometimes process of manufacturing of that part might not be 100% perfect and something else not belonging into part can get in while asembling in factory. There is also rework process. Machines assembling this parts can sometimes made some mistake like not screewing screew into hole right way and whole part is marked as NOK. At that point part is taken from production line and reworked (in case if screew is there but badly screewed then it is removed by person and that hole is checked. Then that part is returned back to that screewing operation and machine will try it again. That person will rework many of them every day and they can make some mistake.) Lets think about worst possible situation that they drop that screew into scrap box and it bounce back and fall into transmision ... that is catastrophic failure in few weeks if not right at car assembly line .... VW didn't do it on purpose. :) And That supplier will have a trouble with that. Now they will take your DSG apart and analyze why it failed and then supplier will have to come with measure so it will not happend again. BTW that factory most probably use PPM marker as we do. It measure how many Parts Per Milion is bad and returned by costumer (VW, BMW, etc.) our PPM for BMW motorrad (only one i remember) is around 0,86. so almost one of milion BMW bikes is faulty by our fault and that is only one part. Whole bike is made of hundreds of parts. Most of these faults are discovered while they assembly and test whole bike. You were just unlucky to recieve one not discovered by VW.

Sorry if my english is very bad :) If anyone don't understand i will try to translate it better.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

steeve wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:07 am Two weeks to the day and the car has been returned, hopefully fixed. Though we both have a feeling that we are unable to trust the reliability.

I Have not had any issues yet, but i still don't trust the car because it is a DSG.

I miss the manual gearbox sometimes. but not for heavy slow traffic.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:53 am I work as maintenance guy for one of VW supliers. Honestly sometimes process of manufacturing of that part might not be 100% perfect and something else not belonging into part can get in while asembling in factory. There is also rework process. Machines assembling this parts can sometimes made some mistake like not screewing screew into hole right way and whole part is marked as NOK. At that point part is taken from production line and reworked (in case if screew is there but badly screewed then it is removed by person and that hole is checked. Then that part is returned back to that screewing operation and machine will try it again. That person will rework many of them every day and they can make some mistake.) Lets think about worst possible situation that they drop that screew into scrap box and it bounce back and fall into transmision ... that is catastrophic failure in few weeks if not right at car assembly line .... VW didn't do it on purpose. :) And That supplier will have a trouble with that. Now they will take your DSG apart and analyze why it failed and then supplier will have to come with measure so it will not happend again. BTW that factory most probably use PPM marker as we do. It measure how many Parts Per Milion is bad and returned by costumer (VW, BMW, etc.) our PPM for BMW motorrad (only one i remember) is around 0,86. so almost one of milion BMW bikes is faulty by our fault and that is only one part. Whole bike is made of hundreds of parts. Most of these faults are discovered while they assembly and test whole bike. You were just unlucky to recieve one not discovered by VW.

Sorry if my english is very bad :) If anyone don't understand i will try to translate it better.
I know what you mean. I work in Quality Assurance.

In QA you log and investigate failures in process (deviations) and customer complaints. No car company is happy with defects - they get to the root cause and put a fix in place unless the occurrence is so low that it'll cost more to fix. That's the crux of QA instead of QC, determining the likelihood of failure and doing what you can to minimise without testing/inspecting everything.

The failure of a 2p part can cost £££ to put right when paying out dealership rates under warranty to fix.

There's a balance though. If a 2p part with a failure rate of 0.1% has an alternative that costs 10p a part for half the failure rate, they'll keep using the 2p part if part cost savings outweigh the ost of having the faulty ones fixed under warranty.

These forums are always full of people sharing warranty claim stories, but no one ever tells you if they've had their car 3 years without issue - for that reason, failure rates always look huge on a forum.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I went into my local VW dealer's parts department on Wednesday to get some non stocked parts ordered in for me, there were 2 DSG gearboxes strapped to pallets waiting to be collected, I went today, Friday and there are the next 2 DSG gearboxes strapped to pallets waiting to be collected!! It is not a pretty picture for VW Group, or more importantly, their customers!