Tyre pressure adjustment

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Tyre pressure adjustment

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:47 pm The person who fitted my tyres recommended me to swap the front and back tyres over at around 5,000 miles of use. Not sure if you guys would do the same thing?
If you want them to all wear out at once and replace them all together, that's fine to do. If you were only keeping the car 2 to 3 years and didn't want to buy any tyres in that period, you might get 30-40k miles off a set. Otherwise leave them where they are and replace the fronts every time they wear down to 1.6mm / 2mm, although at that point some tyre places would have you rotate your tyres anyway and put the new ones on the back.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 pm
S_94 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:47 pm The person who fitted my tyres recommended me to swap the front and back tyres over at around 5,000 miles of use. Not sure if you guys would do the same thing?
If you want them to all wear out at once and replace them all together, that's fine to do. If you were only keeping the car 2 to 3 years and didn't want to buy any tyres in that period, you might get 30-40k miles off a set. Otherwise leave them where they are and replace the fronts every time they wear down to 1.6mm / 2mm, although at that point some tyre places would have you rotate your tyres anyway and put the new ones on the back.
I asked the tyre fitter about that and he was under the impression I'd only get 10-12,000 miles out of the set. :?: Is that wide of the mark?

As a rough estimate now I think I'll be hitting around 8-10,000 miles per year. Although I'm moving soon for a new job and the commute is a 5 minute drive (15-20 min walk) so I doubt I'll be using the car much on weekdays at that point. Replacing the front ones when needed sounds okay to me though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:36 pm
I asked the tyre fitter about that and he was under the impression I'd only get 10-12,000 miles out of the set. :?: Is that wide of the mark?

As a rough estimate now I think I'll be hitting around 8-10,000 miles per year. Although I'm moving soon for a new job and the commute is a 5 minute drive (15-20 min walk) so I doubt I'll be using the car much on weekdays at that point. Replacing the front ones when needed sounds okay to me though.
Depends how hard you drive the car. Drive like a maniac and 10k miles on the front is all you get, 20k miles on fronts is possible. I will have to check my tyre tread depth, 4500 miles since change to PS4 on the red GTI+. I just have to find my depth gauge.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:06 am Can anybody with a pre-gpf Polo GTi post a picture of the tyre pressure sticker which is stuck on the car?
Haven't the time today to faff on getting the pic posted (out to York), but sticker says 41psi front/38psi back under partial occupancy and 44/41 fully loaded.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:46 am
S_94 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Depends how hard you drive the car. Drive like a maniac and 10k miles on the front is all you get, 20k miles on fronts is possible. I will have to check my tyre tread depth, 4500 miles since change to PS4 on the red GTI+. I just have to find my depth gauge.
Cheers mate. Did 1,000 miles with the Bridgestones and 1,800 on the MPS4's so far, I'll get them checked around the 6,000 mark. :)