NSFW top mount bearing

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: NSFW top mount bearing

Post by RUM4MO »

It seems like there are and have been for a long time, lots of complaints about rear suspension noises on MK7 Golfs, my mate bought a slightly used T-Roc recently and it certainly has a few "stupid" knocking/rattling noises from the front end, they have moved across from running old SAABs so they, or at least he will not notice that kind of thing, I'll probably have a look under it soon enough! So maybe like the MK7 Golf, after they revisited the rear damper area and requested a revision from their supplier (or was that just waffle), VW might consider this issue to be a "characteristic" and that would be that! Every new model of VW needs to have a "characteristic" it seems, maybe why we love them?
Winks
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by Winks »

Both top front suspension mounts now replaced on 6 month old GTI+ and seems to have cured the knocking/rattle and now rides smoothly
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

Picked my car up today. The car is Polo GTI+ , current milesge: 1600.Apprx. 3 months
old

Here's a list of faults and Garage Solutions to Date:

REAR BRAKE CLUNK WHILST REVERSING:

Replaced Rear Brake Pads

Carried out software update to ABS

Seems like problem 'solved'- To early to be sure.

RATTLE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION:

Replaced n/s/f Shock Aborber

Replaced Top Mount and Bearing

I think it's worked but time will tell.

Total Time spent in the Garage : 11 Days so far!!

I am sure I can now hear subtle “creeky” sound from rear suspension, especially when
going over a road bumps. Will wait to see if it gets any louder before taking it back to the garage.

Any more faults and I am going down the route of rejecting the car. It's a pity though, this
car is fantastic in terms of performace,comfort and usability. Just poor quality components and build..

Time to look at Hyundai I30 N and the upcoming Hyundai I20 N with 5 year warranty compared to
VW 3 year warranty. I can see now why VW no longer offer maufacturers Extended Warrany!
c4s2rs6
New
Drives: Ordered GTI+

Post by c4s2rs6 »

We had a creaking noise on our 4 month GTI Plus. About 3k mikes. They replaced both strut top mounts and it’s gone but there is a hint of it coming back on corners. As others have said very noticeable at low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocky5
New

Post by Rocky5 »

c4s2rs6 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:39 am We had a creaking noise on our 4 month GTI Plus. About 3k mikes. They replaced both strut top mounts and it’s gone but there is a hint of it coming back on corners. As others have said very noticeable at low speed.

My theory is VW must have had faulty Batch of Struts from their component supplier or sourced inferior quality suspension components to save cost.
I believe my car was manufactured March/April 2019 so it will be interesting to see if lot more people have problems whose cars were manufactured around this period.
I also understand VW stop manufacturing POLO's in June 2018 due to non compliance of WLTP and resume production in January 2019.May be VW is rushing their production
to catchup with the back log at the expense of 'quality'.
Rocky5
New

Post by Rocky5 »

c4s2rs6 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:39 am We had a creaking noise on our 4 month GTI Plus. About 3k mikes. They replaced both strut top mounts and it’s gone but there is a hint of it coming back on corners. As others have said very noticeable at low speed.

I suspect if the noise manifest when corning, it might be faulty bearing. Do you know if the dealer changed both the mount and the bearing?
I am at a total loss as to brand new cars having this common problems! For god's sake VW , are you listening ?