Preferred fix for stone chips?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Preferred fix for stone chips?

Post by l3rady »

After only 300 miles I have already picked up a nice stone chip on the bonnet, ugh. With my last polo, I managed 20k miles without a single stone chip on the front end, only ever got them down the side strangely. As my cars paint is black the undercoat makes the stone chip clear as day after a wash.

So as I need to get some paint for this deep black pearl paint and before I get it, I was wondering what other peoples preferred methods of stone chip repair is? In the past, I used Chipex and wasn't very impressed with the results. I found the dappers apply far to much paint at a time and their recommendation to dab the paint flat with a gloved finger made it harder to correct and blend. The blending solution did seem to work but I couldn't get the over applied paint to come off unless I brushed hard with the sponge, at which point I was then removing paint from the chip I was trying to repair. Afterwards, where I was rubbing to knock back the paint it just looked bad as if someone had a go with sandpaper. Was only after a buff with polish did the scuffs go away. To be fair the conditions were not great when applying as it was windy and warm and I suspect the applied paint was drying far too quick and so was making it hard to blend the applied paint with the blending solution. I suspect if I was to do it again I would try harder to apply less paint and be a lot more patient and build in very small increments.

Any sugestions?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Preferred fix for stone chips?

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe this does not stand up to scrutiny, but, I tend to make sure that the crates are clean and dry and warm, then use a dry dry wooden cocktail stick to dab in spots of paint, using a magnifying glass to check that all is okay. All I'm trying to do is to disguise the damage and protect it from corrosion.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve used Chipex before and have been satisfied with the results. It does take a little practice to get good results and the key to good results is not to rush, and to apply small quantities of paint and build it up in layers. I don’t use the supplied applicator sticks, or the paint smearing method of application - I use the end of a cocktail stick as RUM4MO suggests, or the end of an unfolded paper clip to apply the paint directly to the stone chip. I apply it in layers until the level of the Chipex paint is just above the surrounding paint.

Once the paint is dry, to remove the excess, it’s important that you let the blending solution do the work and you don’t rub hard. Use the small foam block supplied and wrap the blue (supplied) cloth around the block. Apply blending solution to the block-wrapped cloth. Very gently, rub the cloth covered block back and forth over the paint chip until the new paint is level with the surrounding paint. If the cloth is too dry or you rub too hard/apply too much pressure, there’s a good chance you’ll scratch and swirl your paintwork!

The beauty of the Chipex kit is that if you’re not happy with the results, you can use the blending solution to remove your efforts and start again.

Black is one of the more difficult colours to repair stone chips on as it’s highly reflective, so even with a good colour match between the surrounding paintwork and the repaired stone chip, any differences in finish are more likely to be seen. That’s why my next car will be white! 🙂
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have a chipex kit for my Red Polo. Using the kit as is, I've found the blending solution pretty useless. You rub and rub for ages, with the block and next to nothing comes off. The paint itself is good for a colour match, but goes on thick. When the paint is very proud, I let it dry out over a day, use IMS (very light sweeps - it is much more aggressive as a solvent on the chipex paint) with the silk cloth and foam block until it's just proud. Let it harden again for 2 days and then polish out with some G3 polishing compound.

The paint is so thin on the Polo, it is very hard to get the right depth. The G3 polish is good to get flush.
cupracing
New
Drives: polo gti

Post by cupracing »

Another vote for chipex, have just used it on mine to repair the scuffed front bumper from the previous owner who obviously didn’t slow down for speed humps
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

I also use a wooden cocktail stick as the supplied applicators apply far too much paint. I rough up the tip slightly on a wall or other rough surface so it holds a bit more paint. Then apply small blobs at a time to the crater until level with the surface.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

+1 for using a cocktail stick
Oh and if your heading to the paint factors take your owners manual with you. In my case the label with the codes on it wasn’t in the boot. Then they can used the info to get the correct paint code
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Hate stonechips. As above: cocktail stick + VW paint, a tiny dab at a time, leave 24hours before next. Build up the layers slowly and carefully and you should be able to create a pretty much an unoticable touch up. Nutshell: take your time and good luck....