Polo to t-cross?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Re: Polo to t-cross?

Post by Kittycat »

david.stark wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:11 pm I like the T-Roc, not really looked into the T-Cross. In any case, you would need a hefty deposit to change if you are on PCP. I’m in about £3k of negative equity.

:lol: I am in exactly the same situation
I really want to change the Polo, I am doing around 350 mls a week, filling up weekly and would like to change for something bigger and diesel but like you say the 3k negative equity is the killer and you would need another 2-3k just to get your payments around the same now 😳😳😳
When you way it up that is a good holiday to Orlando your losing out on.
As much as I am desperate to change
I can’t justify chucking £5-6k away to change cars by the time I’ve paid my negative equity to settle my current finance and then another 2/3k on a new deposit.
Unfortunately I’m going to have to continue running my petrol gussling Polo for a good while longer. :roll: :cry:
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

I think the issue is more the size of the fuel tank. I tend to get around 400 miles out of a full tank, less on winter tyres. Thing is it only costs me £50 to fill up at Shell. Bigger tank would just mean more to pay for filling up.

I’m getting 58mpg on a long run with air conditioning running. My neighbour can’t get near that figure in his 2.2
TDi Jaguar XF saloon.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Jackdoor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm I have looked at it as an option. However VW have made a big error in not producing a 1.5 petrol. Seat and Skoda do have the 1.5 in their equivalent models.
Our local VW website was recently updated and shows the R Line T-Cross with 110kw 250nm:
https://www.vw.co.za/en/models/tcross.h ... 1095290309

It seems there may also be a coupe version on the cards soon too:
https://www.motor.es/noticias/volkswage ... 59722.html

I've never personally been a fan of these SUV/Coupe styled vehicles but I guess they here to stay.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Pricing for R-Line with 110kw, 1,5L 4 cylinder petrol announced for ZA market, costs a lot more than my current set of wheels:
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/vo ... 020/47451/
R403000.00 so approx. 21745 pounds.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I was looking at swapping my Polo for a T-Cross, but another VW? I've looked at Suzuki Vitara, just to get away from another European car, the EU problem is getting me down. I'm not a European, I'm British.
But just looked at the Skoda Kamiq, I know it's mainly built with VW parts, so back to the European argument.
It's a better looking car than the T-Cross, and in the SEL trim it's got a lot going for it. Please don't start stripping it down to "the price of this in SEL trim in this or that", I'm not really interested.
If I think a car looks better than another, that's my opinion, all the forum members have their opinions, or about different discount percentages or who give better prices on PCP, I'm not interested.
I'm also looking for a diesel, I came from a diesel and I like the torque a diesel gives, I had a drive of my mates GTI+ I had the gearbox in "S" I must admit it did go well, do I crave for a Polo GTI? NO. the extra speed is OK, but that's not my style of driving, if I want to over take, I'll bide my time till it's safe to do so.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Someone having a bad day or being trampled on - again?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If I were considering going back to diesel, I'd also want to consider my mileage. Unless you're averaging over 8 miles a trip on uncongested roads, that DPF is always going to struggle to clear itself and you'll be down on mpg and power as the back pressure increases.

I may have to go back to a diesel if I change jobs and end up with a longer commute - just looking into applying for a job at a company 35 miles from home, but unless I get a car share (if I get the job), it'll be costing me about £12 a day to commute (inclusive of about £3 toll money), if the GTI+ is averaging 40mpg. I'd probably consider a run out MK7 Golf GTD.

The wife's A1 1.6 TDI used to run like a dream on my (then) 20 mile commute (65mpg) and not so well on her 8 mile commute (38mpg).

You've got to be doing the miles to make diesel ownership pay, especially since diesel residuals (generally) softened a little and DPFs make frequent short journeys problematic.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Has anybody looked at the write-up on the Skoda Kamiq, later on this year they will be putting in the 1.5 (150 BHP) in it, with either a 6 speed manual or DSG and I believe a diesel engine will be available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpHvwOkxVzM
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm If I were considering going back to diesel, I'd also want to consider my mileage. Unless you're averaging over 8 miles a trip on uncongested roads, that DPF is always going to struggle to clear itself and you'll be down on mpg and power as the back pressure increases.

I may have to go back to a diesel if I change jobs and end up with a longer commute - just looking into applying for a job at a company 35 miles from home, but unless I get a car share (if I get the job), it'll be costing me about £12 a day to commute (inclusive of about £3 toll money), if the GTI+ is averaging 40mpg. I'd probably consider a run out MK7 Golf GTD.

The wife's A1 1.6 TDI used to run like a dream on my (then) 20 mile commute (65mpg) and not so well on her 8 mile commute (38mpg).

You've got to be doing the miles to make diesel ownership pay, especially since diesel residuals (generally) softened a little and DPFs make frequent short journeys problematic.
As someone that does 60 miles a day to/from work I can testify to this. When I bought my current t roc I looked at the extra price of diesels in most of the cars I was looking at, put together a spreadsheet with realistic mpg values for petrol and diesel and in most cases it was four years before the extra I paid for diesel was returned. I only keep my cars three years, so even with the extra mpg it still made more sense for me to buy the petrol.

Once you factor in the extra depreciation on diesels now as Monkey said, the only way I could consider a diesel would be a run out GTD or similar, as they seem to hold more of their value and you can get them cheaper now as nobody wants them brand new. Plus if you aren’t doing the mileage you don’t want the DPF issues which are becoming more and more commonplace. I work for a car care company and the amount of calls we are getting regarding dpf issues on low mileage cars and if our dpf cleaner can help is increasingly monthly.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Interestingly my uncle (prev model Polo 1.2DSG Match petrol) is also looking at a similar vehicle, though for prob different reasons. While not disabled as such he is 80 (I think) though still has all his marbles but has movement probs and so getting into / out of his car, and also my Golf, is getting difficult for him. The door opening gap / seat height on many cars is very similar so he's looking at a 'mild' SUV-type of vehicle, again DSG petrol, and has checked out VW 's t-Cross & t-Roc but quite likes the 'SEAT version', the SEAT Arona. The SEAT is a good deal cheaper too....