Polo to t-cross?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ramos
New
Drives: 2018

Polo to t-cross?

Post by Ramos »

Hey everyone - first few posts só be nice.

I have a polo beats bought last year which I love!

Issue is the at-cross looks beautiful!

Anyone else considering the switch or has done the switch or even owns one already?

Would be great to know peoples opinions :)
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Re: Polo to t-cross?

Post by david.stark »

I like the T-Roc, not really looked into the T-Cross. In any case, you would need a hefty deposit to change if you are on PCP. I’m in about £3k of negative equity.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ramos wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am Hey everyone - first few posts só be nice.

I have a polo beats bought last year which I love!

Issue is the at-cross looks beautiful!

Anyone else considering the switch or has done the switch or even owns one already?

Would be great to know peoples opinions :)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the saying goes. It’s unmistakably a VW, as it follows VW’s current design language, but I don’t think I’d describe it as beautiful. It’s closely aligned with the Polo:- the ‘pumped up’ SUV version of the Polo, but model for model, the T-Cross is very expensive compared to the Polo - three model for model price comparisons below;

SE model
T-Cross 1.0 SE 95ps 5 speed manual; list price £18,815
Polo 1.0 SE 95ps 5 speed manual; list price £16,450
T-Cross £2,365 more expensive than the Polo

SEL model
T-Cross 1.0 SEL 115ps 6 speed manual; list price £21,665
Polo 1.0 SEL 115ps 6 speed manual; list price £18,700
T-Cross £2,965 more expensive than the Polo

R-Line model
T-Cross 1.0 R-Line 115ps 7 speed DSG; list price £25,065
Polo 1.0 R-Line 115ps 7 speed DSG; List price £20,800
T-Cross is an eye watering £4,265 more expensive than the equivalent Polo!😯

As the T-Cross is a newer model than the Polo, you’d probably get less discount off the list price than you can with the Polo, which, model for model would make the T-Cross even more expensive.

For me, the T-Cross doesn’t really offer anything more than the Polo would. You get a higher driving position in the T-Cross, which might be important to some. It is also probably easier for the less agile / less mobile owner to get in and out of, and with the sliding rear seats, it has a more flexible luggage and rear passenger space than the Polo, but i think that’s about it. You could get a 2.0 200ps Polo GTI+ (List price £23,160) for less money than the price of a 1.0 115ps T-Cross R-Line. I know the Polo GTI+ isn’t for everyone, but given the choice between a Polo GTI+ and and a T-Cross R-Line, I know which one I’d buy.

That’s just my opinion though. We’re all different and like different things, which is a good thing, otherwise life would be boring! 🙂
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I've read the 1.5L will be introduced to ZAR around 2020 with 110kw. If they offered an R version with GTI 2.0L engine I might be tempted otherwise pass thanks.

"A range-topping 1.5-litre turbopetrol engine with 110 kW in conjunction with a 7-speed DSG will also be offered but will only be available in Q1 of 2020. A diesel engine is not on the cards at this point in time."
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/vo ... ice/45735/
Last edited by OomStu_ZA on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackdoor
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Jackdoor »

I have looked at it as an option. However VW have made a big error in not producing a 1.5 petrol. Seat and Skoda do have the 1.5 in their equivalent models.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Jackdoor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm I have looked at it as an option. However VW have made a big error in not producing a 1.5 petrol. Seat and Skoda do have the 1.5 in their equivalent models.
That is crazy if its true, a friend has just bought a slightly used T-Roc 1.5TSI - with no engine issues, a winner!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Jackdoor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm I have looked at it as an option. However VW have made a big error in not producing a 1.5 petrol. Seat and Skoda do have the 1.5 in their equivalent models.
see my post above :)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

You can get the Seat equivalent of the T-Cross - the Arona (arguably better looking than the T-Cross and probably better value, model for model) with the 1.5 EVO engine mated to a 6 speed manual gearbox in mid range FR trim. The 1.5 EVO engine is used in lots of vehicles across the entire VAG range (but not the Polo!), and when mated to a manual gearbox there’s been lots of reports of owners experiencing hesitation and jerky, kangaroo-like take-offs when moving off from standstill. VW have acknowledged there’s an issue but a fix hasn’t been found. The same issue doesn’t exist when this engine is mated to the DSG transmission;

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ownin ... vo-engine/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-c ... -problems/

If you google VW 1.5 EVO kangarooing, you’ll find quite a few VW, Skoda and Seat owners on forums with this engine discussing experiencing this issue.

To the original poster (Ramos) - bear in mind that with these pumped up compact SUV’s, the car’s centre of gravity will be higher than in an equivalent conventional small hatchback car, so the T-Cross is unlikely to handle as well as the Polo. Also, for the higher price you pay for the T-Cross, you loose the soft touch dashboard top of the Polo and get a hard, scratchy plastic dashboard top.
Last edited by SRGTD on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I read today, in Car Buyer, that the latest Passat GTE comes with a 1395cc TSI petrol engine and an electric motor, the petrol engine rating is 156PS, so is this true and if so, what is this 1.4TSI engine?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:50 pm I read today, in Car Buyer, that the latest Passat GTE comes with a 1395cc TSI petrol engine and an electric motor, the petrol engine rating is 156PS, so is this true and if so, what is this 1.4TSI engine?
Maybe this 1.4TSI is an update to the 1.4TSI 150ps engine that was in the last gen blue motion Polo? That was a great engine, then VW replaced it with the troublesome current 1.5TSI.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Exactly, or if true, to put it a bit more bluntly where does that leave anyone with a 1.5TSI engine or lusting after getting a Polo etc with that engine?
Not a repeat of the twincharger nonsense surely.
I think that it has been said already, that if you looked at the specs, or at least the official emissions and the MPG for the dropped 1.4TSI engine and compared it with the current 1.5TSI engine you would find that they are both the same as near as damn it - but you must remember that by doing that is like comparing apples with oranges as the test regime that was in place for the 1.4TSI's certification was completely different to that for when the 1.5TSI was certified. So this new, but maybe hopping 1.5TSI engine is a lot cleaner and more economic officially.
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

Hi SRGTD - I don’t think you are being fair to the T-Cross SEL! Try the VW configurator with the Polo SEL and spec it to the same level as the T-Cross and it works out more expensive. For example the T-Cross has ACC, LED headlights, rear tinted glass, 17” alloys, blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert, style pack equivalent all as standard. In addition, being a very recent model, it also has lane keep assist.

I have been running a 115 PS manual T-Cross SEL for 6 weeks and find it to be very refined and economical. The boot is usefully big and adaptable. I test drove a Polo, Fabia and Arona prior to making my order and I think the T-Cross is the best choice overall. Mind you, you are spot-on regarding the R-Line - no way is it worth the extra over the SEL.

It is worth taking one for a test drive as well as trying the Polo. I reckon the Polo SEL is needing a refresh in terms of standard spec to be honest.
Last edited by arkay on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:13 pm Exactly, or if true, to put it a bit more bluntly where does that leave anyone with a 1.5TSI engine or lusting after getting a Polo etc with that engine?
Not a repeat of the twincharger nonsense surely.
I think that it has been said already, that if you looked at the specs, or at least the official emissions and the MPG for the dropped 1.4TSI engine and compared it with the current 1.5TSI engine you would find that they are both the same as near as damn it - but you must remember that by doing that is like comparing apples with oranges as the test regime that was in place for the 1.4TSI's certification was completely different to that for when the 1.5TSI was certified. So this new, but maybe hopping 1.5TSI engine is a lot cleaner and more economic officially.
The difference between the old NEDC test cycle combined mpg and new WLTP combined mpg values is pretty small - a lot smaller than I thought it would be, considering WLTP test cycle is supposedly more realistic. The pre WLTP GTI+ is 47.9mpg, the new GPF equipped one is 46.3mpg.

The differences between the 1.4 and 1.5 should be pretty small under the new WLTP regime, but may be significant enough for overall VW range emissions targets to be affected.

There's some real VW reliability failures over the last 10 years, with a few specific engine types.

Those twin charged 1.4s (the originals 170ps variant seemed fine, the 160 was terrible for cracked piston crowns), timing chain tensioner failures out of warranty on the old 1.2TSI 3 cylinder engines built around 2010 and now the 1.5TSI whereby VW deny warranty claims outside warranty while knowing those engines aren't built to last because they have a design flaw which VW design out on later iterations but refuse to acknowledge and fix for those already affected.

Those kinds of things just highlight how contemptible VW are when it comes to doing the right thing when someone's engine tears itself to bits at 5 years old because the non-serviceable timing chain and adjuster (meant to last the life of the car) failed due to design fault. Consumer law in the UK is poor. We're covered for up to 6 years, but after 6 months we have to prove a manufacturing fault. People have to threaten court action to get their rights upheld for that 6 year coverage beyond manufacturers warranty, yet in USA, SA and Australia, VW offer guarantee extensions to 6 or 8 years and to fix the design fault for free- because their consumer laws obligate VW to do so.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

arkay wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:50 pm Hi SRGTD - I don’t think you are being fair to the T-Cross SEL! Try the VW configurator with the Polo SEL and spec it to the same level as the T-Cross and it works out more expensive. For example the T-Cross has ACC, LED headlights, rear tinted glass, 17” alloys, style pack equivalent all as standard. In addition, being a very recent model, it also has lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. These cannot even be spec’ed on a Polo (I don’t think).

I have been running a 115 PS manual T-Cross SEL for 6 weeks and find it to be very refined and economical. The boot is usefully big and adaptable. I test drove a Polo, Fabia and Arona prior to making my order and I think the T-Cross is the best choice overall. Mind you, you are spot-on regarding the R-Line - no way is it worth the extra over the SEL.

It is worth taking one for a test drive as well as trying the Polo. I reckon the Polo SEL is needing a refresh in terms of standard spec to be honest.
Point taken re. different equipment levels of the Polo SEL and T-Cross SEL.

Comparing the T-Cross SEL with DSG transmission (list price £23,165) to the DSG only Polo GTI+ (list price £23,160) is probably a more representative comparison, but purely from a list price and equipment perspective. The Polo GTI+ doesn’t get some of the items of standard spec that the T-Cross SEL does, but it does have some equipment as standard that you’d pay extra for in the T-Cross SEL

GTI+ gets AID digital dash, steering wheel paddle shifters, electrically folding door mirrors, keyless entry, driving profile selection as standard (these are extra cost options on the T-Cross SEL) but doesn’t get sat nav or auto climate control that the T-Cross SEL does.

If I was considering buying a VW car just now with a list price of £23k and it came down to a Polo GTI+ or a T-Cross SEL, my money would go on the Polo GTI+. Larger discounts are also available on the Polo GTI+ compared to the T-Cross SEL (11.7% Polo GTI+, 9.2% T-Cross SEL - discounts are from Drive the Deal). However, the clincher for me would be the 2.0 200ps power plant in the Polo GTI+ compared to the 1.0 115ps power plant in the T-Cross.

Admittedly, the Polo GTI+ isn’t for everyone, and the compact SUV is a growing segment - most car manufacturers have one in their model range. At the end of the day, people buy what suits them and their needs best. We’re all individuals with different wants and needs; if we were all the same and liked / bought the same things, life would be very boring! 🙂
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

The main issue I have with the Polo GTi is the lack of a manual gearbox option. Not everyone likes the DSG. You’re right that a GTi+ is better value than a T-Cross automatic but the cars aren’t really comparable because of the engine difference. I was simply making the point that folks should maybe consider a T-Cross if they are thinking of an equivalently engined Polo. Having driven a T-Cross for 1500 miles I reckon it is good value in SEL spec and a better all round proposition. Also delivery is a bit quicker as it is built in Spain - mine took 12 weeks from order to delivery. But as you say, each to their own!