Build week 36 for My Polo GTI +

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
aron.phelan
New

Build week 36 for My Polo GTI +

Post by aron.phelan »

Does anyone know what week this is ? I’m still hoping to get car keys by October 31st hard brexit 🤔
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Build week 36 for My Polo GTI +

Post by OomStu_ZA »

aron.phelan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 pm Does anyone know what week this is ? I’m still hoping to get car keys by October 31st hard brexit 🤔
Around September 6th?
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Last week in august I think, so its 2 weeks to manufacture an load to a ship then 6 weeks to get into the uk. so you are looking at in the UK end Oct and with you first or second week in Nov. To be fare I have seen some on here get the car a week or so earlier than that.
cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

aron.phelan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:02 pm Does anyone know what week this is ? I’m still hoping to get car keys by October 31st hard brexit 🤔
I was told this (end of Oct) for week 36 when I ordered.. although mine started build Monday (week 32) but the stealer is still telling me it will be the same delivery (end of Oct) :roll:
aron.phelan
New

Post by aron.phelan »

Fingers crossed our cars get here before the brexit tax will come in. I’m assuming if the cars reach us before 1st November we won’t have to pay the tariff which is looking to be 10.5 %. If it does get added will they add it to my PCP repayments or expect a lump sum? I’m completely in the dark over this and concerned. I don’t want the car to be stuck in customs either.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

aron.phelan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:28 pm Fingers crossed our cars get here before the brexit tax will come in. I’m assuming if the cars reach us before 1st November we won’t have to pay the tariff which is looking to be 10.5 %. If it does get added will they add it to my PCP repayments or expect a lump sum? I’m completely in the dark over this and concerned. I don’t want the car to be stuck in customs either.
Surely IF yours is in the country before 31 Oct then your fine. with a build week of early aug then 8 weeks in total to get to the uk it should be at the dockside uk early -mid Oct. in your dealer 10 days after that. so although I think you wont get the car until either end oct or first week Nov. but your car could well be here in blighty just before any duty come in.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

My car is due in October. But if it goes over to after 31 October and I have pay the the EU tax tariff I might say forget it as it be a extra £2300 what I’m not prepared too pay. Considering I ordered the car back in February.

But hopefully won’t come too that for any of us.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Steve_2019 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:02 am My car is due in October. But if it goes over to after 31 October and I have pay the the EU tax tariff I might say forget it as it be a extra £2300 what I’m not prepared too pay. Considering I ordered the car back in February.

But hopefully won’t come too that for any of us.
Was it mentioned to you at the time of ordering that it was a possibility?

Seriously don't think it will come to that - Germany and France don't want VAGs, BMWs, Peugeots and Renaults to become unappealing to the British market. Even in a hard Brexit, I'd expect a mutual agreement to keep cars tariff free. We are the EU's biggest new car market. We change cars far more often than our close neighbours in Europe.
aron.phelan
New

Post by aron.phelan »

Yes it was mentioned to me as I asked. I also asked about the £ devaluing. They said VW would bear the brunt of devaluation however they couldn’t control the tariffs. The issue is the tariff will apply from November the 1st and it will take time for the UK and other countries to draft then agree a deal.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Always remember that it is VW UK that set these prices, the basic price of any car varies market to market to take into account of what will be the final "on the road" price to the customer, that means, in areas of high car taxation, the price of the metal is a lot lower than in an area where low car taxation exists.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

They will always find a way of making the car appealing to sell. The car will only sell for what the market will bear.

If the people decide that a Polo GTI+ isn't worth £25600 (current RRP + 10.5% tariff), will VW allow the market to die? Nope. They'll put incentives in place to make it seem like a bargain.

They could start by giving you a £2500.deposit contribution, or slash the PCP APR% down to 2.5%, chuck in free servicing etc. for cars already ordered. In future, they could justify the higher RRP by chucking a load more kit in as standard for cars not yet built - leather and Nav would cover the extra money at RRP of those options but would cost VW very little to gift you

They make more money in some markets, like Rum4mo has said.

VW (and the other marques) are very quick to cash in on an advantage:-

When the Government dropped VAT to 15% to boost the economy during the recession, all the car companies put their prices up to swallow the customer VAT saving. Similarly, when the scrappage scheme was on, most new car prices jumped £2k to cancel out the savings.

When the pound was very strong against the Euro (>€1.40 to the £), we had the dearest VWs in Europe excluding the Scandinavian super tax pumped RRPs.

Despite the weak pound, they're still making money here in the UK, they sell cars s lot cheaper to the US market than they do in Europe, and still make money there.