One year on review

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

One year on review

Post by david.stark »

Well it's slightly over a year now since I collected my Polo and it had its first service a few weeks back on the service plan. So I thought I would post my thoughts about ownership for the last year.

Which model have I got?

I have the 1.0 TSI SE 95ps DSG in reflex silver. A quick note on the colour is that I actually prefer blue or orange but I went for the silver for a stress free life mostly. It has picked up some scratches here and there but you really have to look closely to see them and it doesn't show paint swirls or muck as badly so it was ideal for me with my OCD :lol: . To be fair, it looks classy in silver anyway. I have picked up a very minor dent from somewhere just under the VW boot release. Only noticeable from certain angles.

Engine and gearbox

I have owned much faster cars in the past but what I find remarkable is how capable this engine is. It zips along so well in town and on the open road and has no problems at all on the motorway. In fact it pulls strongly still at 70 if I need to accelerate to 72 :lol:

I think the DSG helps with the acceleration as it is very smooth and effortless. For the extra cost of the gearbox, I could have opted for optional extras but I really wanted the DSG as it suits my needs more and I am grateful not to be changing gear when my back acts up sometimes.

It is by no means perfect and having once owned a car with a torque converter auto, it takes some adjustment. The creeping forward when releasing the brake is not instant like it was with the TC auto and if you press too hard on the accelerator it will lurch forward suddenly. So it's a case of forward thinking and allowing the gear to engage before hitting the go pedal. On a hill, I will keep the handbrake on until I feel the car trying to creep then it allows for a smooth pull away.

The stop/start is ridiculous with the DSG and unless I come to a stop at lights or a traffic jam, it remains turned off. If it's on in normal driving, it'll kick in while waiting at roundabouts to pull out which is dangerous if you want to go and you have to wait for the damn engine to fire up.

I occasionally use manual mode if I join a short slip road on the A38 because I note that D mode changes up quite early for economy and sport mode holds on to gears a little too long for my liking so with manual mode I can floor it and change gear when I want to. Sport mode is useful for me on twisty and hilly roads such as the Peak District.

Overall, now I am accustomed to the traits of the DSG, I am very pleased with it and would not want to go back to manual. Stress free in traffic and very smooth on the go.

MPG wise, I managed 58mpg on the way to the Lakes the other month with 3 passengers and a shed load of luggage. Into the mid to high 40's for my commute in mixed conditions.

Spec

I went for SE and have no regrets at all. I didn't even dismiss the entry level S model out of hand as I read through the brochure but decided on the SE after comparing spec with costs and great reports from the critics who recommended the SE as the perfect balance of price and spec.

I've owned numerous cars over the years, one in particular had more gizmos than the USS Enterprise :lol: and as such, you would expect me to miss the toys but maybe less is more because I don't. The SE has everything I realistically need and I find the seats very comfortable even over long distances with my iffy back.

I can use Google maps for Sat Nav via Android Auto and I make sure I download the map to my phone so it will work even with no signal. The speed limiter is useful so I rest my foot on the accelerator and it won't exceed the speed limit that I have set. Had cruise control before and unless I was going long distances, it very rarely got used due to the traffic conditions and roads not lending themselves to cruise control.

I've never really got the big deal with climate control to be honest. Had it on a few cars before and I've never had it on and thought oh yes, this is the real deal over normal air con and heater. If a car I buy has it fine, if it doesn't also fine.

Had a loan SE which had heated seats as an extra which was nice but from past experience, heated seats are a novelty with cloth seats and a necessity with leather. Full leather is very cold in winter so not a big deal for me with cloth seats.

Overall, having looked at R-Line and SEL cars at the dealer and weighed up all factors, I am happy I went for the SE.

Ride and handling

I've driven much sportier cars that handle better and lean less through the bends but the Polo is still accomplished enough and comfort wise it is superb. Very smooth ride and soaks up the bumps very well. A very refined driving experience which is remarkable for a small car. Wind and road noise are well suppressed and I think the smaller wheels help with that.

Any problems?

There weren't many new Polo's about when I first got mine so I have been subject to the recalls on the handbrake and rear seat belt. Other than that, I have had the media unit replaced under warranty due to dead pixels which is a common problem and I had all the drama with wet foot wells in the back which was partly down to a faulty seal in the rear quarter window and some dodgy rear dashcam fitting by Halfords. All resolved in the end and camera idea binned.

Any mods?

I bought some Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs to brighten things a bit and I have a Thinkware F770 dashcam in the front. I also opted for winter tyres (Hankook Winter i*cept RS2) and they proved themselves in snow near Buxton last winter on a snowy side street on a hill.

AHA! you went to the dealer recently so you must be wanting to change it!

I posted recently about a special sales event/con job at the dealer which I went to out of curiosity. Having been with my girlfriend for 8 months now and talk of moving in together next year, the thought of a larger car crossed my mind but I can't justify the cost and to be fair, with one of the seats down and the boot floor on the lower setting, the Polo manages a fair amount of luggage! It is a spacious car for a small car and many people think it is a Golf.

So, overall I have been very pleased with the Polo over this last year and me and the other half will be off up to Yorkshire for a 4 night break in September so I will be getting the car all cleaned up ready for the journey. :D
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Re: One year on review

Post by MilgeS »

I really enjoyed reading your review, thanks for posting and I hope you continue to enjoy your car :-)
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Good, interesting review and what I like to see; someone who has driven their car over a long period of time and posted honestly what it is like in real world situations. Good stuff :D ...
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Post by david.stark »

Thanks guys :D
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Interesting to read.

I'm also enjoying my Polo SE 95hp, though i do find the engine to be incredibly raucous and very viby. Quite often annoyingly so, also with the manual the gap between 1st and 2nd is way to long.

Probably going to go for a VW I.D in 2022 (end of pcp) or a 1.5 A1. Smoother with the electric and obviously with the bigger four cylinder for the A1.