Driver profile

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Driver profile

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hey all.

Does anyone know why the driver selection profile is not staying on what I select.

I.e. Upon driving I set my car to eco mode, I finish my journey and then come back and restart only to find out that the mode as reverted to normal, even though on the dash it shows the eco option.

I know that its normal mode as the gear changes don't show E and when in eco mode you can activate the "coasting" mode

Any ideas?
mackimudo
New
Drives: MK10 GTI+

Driver profile

Post by mackimudo »

What you’re referring to is the gearbox selection. When you leave it in eco mode the gearbox reverts back to the Drive selection, I think this is by design - the rest of the car is still in eco mode, just the gearbox which isn’t. Not sure if you can do anything about it besides putting it back into eco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Driver profile

Post by MattHGR »

Yeah, not found a fix for this. Everything else stays in eco except the gearbox
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:22 pm Yeah, not found a fix for this. Everything else stays in eco except the gearbox
What's a GTI doing in Eco mode? Suffering a seriously watered down throttle response for marginal freewheeling gains makes no sense.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mackimudo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:01 pm What you’re referring to is the gearbox selection. When you leave it in eco mode the gearbox reverts back to the Drive selection, I think this is by design - the rest of the car is still in eco mode, just the gearbox which isn’t. Not sure if you can do anything about it besides putting it back into eco

It's by design. Easy to cycle between gearbox modes by pulling the gearstick back against the spring resistance.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I tried using eco mode for all of a few minutes (just cos I could) and found myself unsure in certain traffic situations because the car doesn't respond as I'm used to in "normal" mode. Occasionally I do find myself in sport mode though, manually paddling my way around the roads here :)
mackimudo
New
Drives: MK10 GTI+

Post by mackimudo »

monkeyhanger wrote:
mackimudo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:01 pm What you’re referring to is the gearbox selection. When you leave it in eco mode the gearbox reverts back to the Drive selection, I think this is by design - the rest of the car is still in eco mode, just the gearbox which isn’t. Not sure if you can do anything about it besides putting it back into eco

It's by design. Easy to cycle between gearbox modes by pulling the gearstick back against the spring resistance.
Can you cycle into eco through the gearstick? Only found sport and normal available without setting the car in full to eco

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mackimudo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:31 pm
monkeyhanger wrote:

Can you cycle into eco through the gearstick? Only found sport and normal available without setting the car in full to eco

If you're in driver mode Eco, you can cycle between gearbox modes E and D.

If you're in driver mode Sport, you can cycle between gearbox modes S and D.

Not sure whether driver mode normal normal allows cycling between all 3 gearbox modes, as I'm never in Normal.

I always choose individual driver mode with everything in Sport except engine noise (Eco) and suspension (Normal) and I can cycle between S and D. I expect what gearbox modes you can cycle between is tied to the engine setting in individual mode.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Umm very strange behaviour, thanks for the tips.

I just would have expected it all to stay in that particular mode, (all aspects) i.e gearbox also.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:29 pm I just would have expected it all to stay in that particular mode, (all aspects) i.e gearbox also.
Just my opinion but I think the purpose of it switching the gearbox mode back to normal for the next startup is more to do with optimal engine warmup and has been programmed as such.

We all know that you shouldn't thrash a cold engine, so it seems normal to me that if the car had been set to sport mode on the previous drive, then the next day when the car is started it should be set to normal to avoid high revs until the engine is warmed up. I think this is just the German programmers nannying us car owners.