Knocking noise at 1000 RPM in neutral

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Luka
New
Drives: AW1

Knocking noise at 1000 RPM in neutral

Post by Luka »

There's quite a bit of knocking noise when my car is in neutral at 1000 RPM. Kinda sounds like a old diesel that's close to retirement. It goes away as soon as I raise it just a bit over 1000 RPM pushing on the throttle.
Also it will go a second or two after I press the clutch paddle.

I was at the official service center and they said that there's a possibility that there's some air in the transmission and that they couldn't do anything for me. They offered to record the noise and send it back to VW so they can asses.

I just wanted to check if anyone else had this problem.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Knocking noise at 1000 RPM in neutral

Post by Adam_013 »

Luka wrote:There's quite a bit of knocking noise when my car is in neutral at 1000 RPM. Kinda sounds like a old diesel that's close to retirement. It goes away as soon as I raise it just a bit over 1000 RPM pushing on the throttle.
Also it will go a second or two after I press the clutch paddle.

I was at the official service center and they said that there's a possibility that there's some air in the transmission and that they couldn't do anything for me. They offered to record the noise and send it back to VW so they can asses.

I just wanted to check if anyone else had this problem.
I get a knocking noise when it's cold and I'm gently pulling away it knocks like anything... Once it's warmed up its fine.

If it's constant I'd guess there could be a fault.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

What engine and output variant do you have?
Luka
New
Drives: AW1

Post by Luka »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:31 am I get a knocking noise when it's cold and I'm gently pulling away it knocks like anything... Once it's warmed up its fine.
Interesting, for me it's a bit worse after I drive it for a while.
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:17 pm What engine and output variant do you have?
It's a gasoline 95HP Engine.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Honestly all new VW petrol engines work almost like diesel engine. Direct injection, high pressure rail etc. except they use spark. I would expect some "diesel like" knocking from little 3 banger. On your place I would try some other polo at dealer and compare it after.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As your car has a manual gearbox, and you have a knocking at 1000RPM that goes away when you increase the engine revs, also goes away when you press the cutch pedal down, then maybe it is an issue/feature of the clutch release bearing or its support.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Surely, your Polo's still under warranty, Stop asking in the forum, take it back to the dealer, it's their problem.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm Surely, your Polo's still under warranty, Stop asking in the forum, take it back to the dealer, it's their problem.
With all due respect, I know quite a few people have mentioned this, but is there really a need for the aggressive response.

we are here to answer questions if we can and suggest the appropriate place to go if we do not know the answer. being rude does not achieve anything.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TElwoody wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 pm
silverhairs wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm Surely, your Polo's still under warranty, Stop asking in the forum, take it back to the dealer, it's their problem.
With all due respect, I know quite a few people have mentioned this, but is there really a need for the aggressive response.

we are here to answer questions if we can and suggest the appropriate place to go if we do not know the answer. being rude does not achieve anything.
It's also good to have an idea what's wrong to go to the dealership forearmed so you know if you're being fobbed off. Those "technicians" at the dealership pretty much do what the computer tells them to and rarely think outside the box to solve an issue.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Can you please tell me which part of my reply was aggressive or rude?
I was not aggressive or rude, I think it's time you should let go of your mums apron strings and joined the real world. You all have a new motor, it's got 3 years warranty, what's wrong with my reply of "Take it back to the dealer, it's their problem" :?:
I'm in another forum, and you get questions like "the red light has come on, can any body tell me what Pxxxx reading on my OBD reader means, and their still driving the car about :roll:
They'd rather use an OBD reader that they don't have a clue how to use, but they purchased one because their mate down the pub said "they will sort your problem out" instead of taking it to the garage.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:17 am

I was not aggressive or rude, I think it's time you should let go of your mums apron strings and joined the real world. You all have a new motor, it's got 3 years warranty, what's wrong with my reply of "Take it back to the dealer, it's their problem" :?:
I'm in another forum, and you get questions like "the red light has come on, can any body tell me what Pxxxx reading on my OBD reader means, and their still driving the car about :roll:
They'd rather use an OBD reader that they don't have a clue how to use, but they purchased one because their mate down the pub said "they will sort your problem out" instead of taking it to the garage.
You really cannot see how your response could be misconstrued as aggressive? When I read it, I thought that wasn't very friendly or welcoming to our new member and thought it sounded passive-aggressive. You then went on to cement your opinion of the OP in your follow response saying you think of him as a child. If anyone was to look over your forum posts it will come clear that you are a strongly opinionated individual and like to make sure you are heard. It shows that you rub a fair majority of users up the wrong way because of this. I'm sure you don't see this as a problem and will continue to chime in.

The explanation for your message doesn't seem to apply here. You are comparing a red light dash error car owner continuing to drive around with a potential engine error that could cause engine failure to someone that is just hearing a noise with no error. A new car to someone will have certain sounds that may sound like a problem to them but is actually normal operation of the car. In the case of the OP's post, I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask in a forum full of owners of the same car asking if the noise is normal or if anyone might know what the issue is. Certainly for me, taking my car into a dealer is a huge deal and would require taking time off work. If I had an issue that I wasn't sure if the issue warranted a dealer fix then I would rather spend the 10 mins asking on a forum where I could find out if the issue is normal behaviour or it is something I can fix myself on the driveway. The only time I would jump straight to the dealership would be if I was retired and had nothing better to do or I was so rich I could pay for someone else to deal with picking up and sending to the dealer.

Personally I don't trust the dealer to always do the right thing and don't want the hassle of dealing with them. If I could self fix I would always take that option over free dealer warranty work. That lack of trust of dealerships and garages for that matter is through my own dealings with them in the past where I've been fobbed off, told wrong information, bare face lied too and caused damage to my car and never admit fault.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

l3rady wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 pm
silverhairs wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:17 am

You really cannot see how your response could be misconstrued as aggressive? When I read it, I thought that wasn't very friendly or welcoming to our new member and thought it sounded passive-aggressive. You then went on to cement your opinion of the OP in your follow response saying you think of him as a child. If anyone was to look over your forum posts it will come clear that you are a strongly opinionated individual and like to make sure you are heard. It shows that you rub a fair majority of users up the wrong way because of this. I'm sure you don't see this as a problem and will continue to chime in.

The explanation for your message doesn't seem to apply here. You are comparing a red light dash error car owner continuing to drive around with a potential engine error that could cause engine failure to someone that is just hearing a noise with no error. A new car to someone will have certain sounds that may sound like a problem to them but is actually normal operation of the car. In the case of the OP's post, I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask in a forum full of owners of the same car asking if the noise is normal or if anyone might know what the issue is. Certainly for me, taking my car into a dealer is a huge deal and would require taking time off work. If I had an issue that I wasn't sure if the issue warranted a dealer fix then I would rather spend the 10 mins asking on a forum where I could find out if the issue is normal behaviour or it is something I can fix myself on the driveway. The only time I would jump straight to the dealership would be if I was retired and had nothing better to do or I was so rich I could pay for someone else to deal with picking up and sending to the dealer.

Personally I don't trust the dealer to always do the right thing and don't want the hassle of dealing with them. If I could self fix I would always take that option over free dealer warranty work. That lack of trust of dealerships and garages for that matter is through my own dealings with them in the past where I've been fobbed off, told wrong information, bare face lied too and caused damage to my car and never admit fault.
Don't take it out on me because you don't trust your VW dealer's workshop, if you don't trust the VW mechanics, why purchase a VW in the first place? Can I ask you a question? "Do work in the engineering trade or have you ever worked in the trade"? Getting all upset what somebody has said to you or one of your mates, and you have taken offence, you'd be in the HR office more than the workshop.

Let it go over your head, the old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me".
It's the same with social media, people get so upset and depressed because somebody has criticized them, they don't have the sense to switch them off.

PS: your right, I'm retired, don't get my fingernails dirty now, not when I can just take it to the garage or get somebody to pick it up, and take it to the garage for me. Your right in that assumption :wink:
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Right, we've all got our frustrations out and we all disagree. For the sake of calm and stability lets move on from this. How has your car been Silverhairs?
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

TElwoody wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:50 pm Right, we've all got our frustrations out and we all disagree. For the sake of calm and stability lets move on from this. How has your car been Silverhairs?
Hi "TELwoody" My Polo's running fine, though coming home the other week, my dash lights decided to go out, only the needle light was working, it first caught my eye when it really went bright, then just stopped working. I switched on my lights and the dial lights came on. I thought no more of it, the next day I went out in the car and the dash lights worked fine, I expect turning the ignition off reset something. I'll mention it when it goes in for it's first service.
The Mrs has a bit of a job getting into and out of the car, might go along and give the T-Cross a looking at, see if it's a bit higher to get in and out, I'll have a look at one the next time my mate and I go out kicking a few tyres, see what's on the market. Audi have just brought out a new A1 Citycarver, in which you can have the VW 1.5 petrol engine, and it seems quite well spec'd
How's your Polo, are you having many problems with it?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have a chirpy/squeaky rattle at low speeds, 5-25mph, more prevalent under light braking, and on the passenger side, seemingly not in the cabin.

I'm convinced it's a bust top mount bearing on the front passenger side. Happens in a straight line as well as a turn and appears slightly less often when suspension is in Sport mode rather than normal, so not thinking it's rubber gaiter spines rubbing over one another.

Could possibly be the glossy trim/rubber seals on the front door frame? They squeak when pressed.

Anyone else have this? It's not hugely noisy, the radio easily drowns it out. Just don't want to go taking time off, leave it with the garage and them call me back to pick it up because they couldn't find the fault. It's rare to get face-to face time with the technician and ho out on a test drive and point it out to then while they're in the car.

I'm convinced the "couldn't find the fault" is the standard response when they've been busy and ran out of time to look at your car, and need to give yours back because they want their courtesy car back (if they have one with less than a month's notice).