Knocking noise at 1000 RPM in neutral

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Re: Knocking noise at 1000 RPM in neutral

Post by TElwoody »

Umm yeah, all is going well, there are some niggles in the car. Small things like both side air vents buzz/rattle on rough surfaces and the clicking of the wipers every time the move intermittently when on auto is annoying and the three pot engine doesn't do well with the long gearing (Especially between 1st and 2nd. I am a fussy man though.

on a positive the MPG i've been getting is insane 44ish MPG in town and 58-63ish on the dual carriageway and in fairness the over 2k rpm refinement is great(Keep on top of the oil levels). Spec wise for my car i'm really happy with the extras, makes a cheaper car feel a bit posher, though I think my next car will definitely be either a 8th gen golf or a new ID3 mid spec battery (PCP runs out in 3 more years). The usual upgrades, fully independent rear suspension, Bigger smoother engine, better interior quality and a bit quicker.
Luka
New
Drives: AW1

Post by Luka »

Thanks everyone. Love this forum. Sorry I haven't been around to answer quicker as I was moving (to the UK no less).
Totally miss my car too :( Didn't sell it, just left it there for the fam back in Croatia.

As I mentioned before; the official service center wasn't of much help. They just offered to record it (the clunking noise) and send the audio to VW. In retrospect I should have let them do it. I might end up doing it next time I go back. I'll definitely come back and update this thread afterwords.
itsgninja
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R Line

Post by itsgninja »

Any update on this issue? My manual does exactly the same. Not every single day but often enough to worry me.
Luka
New
Drives: AW1

Post by Luka »

itsgninja wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 pm Any update on this issue? My manual does exactly the same. Not every single day but often enough to worry me.
Nope. This is basically an ongoing issue that never got any worse or better. I've basically given up on trying to resolve it as the official VW service shop doesn't know exactly what it is. They said that there might be air in the gearbox but that sounded like a guess at best.
At this point I figure that there's a good chance that this won't present any problems in the future. Still kinda disappointing as this is one of the most expensive cars in it's class and this noise is not something you expect from a car in this price range.