Mk10 polo cuts out completely at high speed

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Carlblake
New
Drives: 2018 model polo

Re: Mk10 polo cuts out completely at high speed

Post by Carlblake »

Well guys by way of an update

Sadly no news is not good news. So far after fitting various new relays and switches, not sure of the difference, it has baffled the local VW technicians as well as a team down in Milton Keynes apparently.

So now they are waiting for technical advice from Germany. Would rather not be in the unenviable position of being the first one to have this issue but at least, and hopefully they don’t take this to be a one off as the potential for others to suffer similar or far worse breakdowns is high.

Still at least they are keeping enterprise car hire in good financial health.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Carlblake wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm Well guys by way of an update

Sadly no news is not good news. So far after fitting various new relays and switches, not sure of the difference, it has baffled the local VW technicians as well as a team down in Milton Keynes apparently.

So now they are waiting for technical advice from Germany. Would rather not be in the unenviable position of being the first one to have this issue but at least, and hopefully they don’t take this to be a one off as the potential for others to suffer similar or far worse breakdowns is high.

Still at least they are keeping enterprise car hire in good financial health.
Please keep us updated, I hope they send an electrician but not a mechanic to fix you car. :roll:

It is very obvious something is short circuited and blown (You said you smell burning smells in the car before).

I hope they will not just replace the blown electrical equipment, but get to the root cause of how did it get short circuited in the first place... :cry:

From my experience of the South Africa's VW dealerships when it comes to finding the root cause of a problem, all they know is plug in the diagnostic computer and look for a fault code... :x
I hope your local VW dealer is better than the South Africa dealers. Good luck and please keep us updated.
Little red
New
Drives: Polo r line

Post by Little red »

I am currently experiencing intermittent electrical problems which I know are a bugger to fix. Front assist daily stops and starts. Car went into sports mode for 3 days despite having selected eco. iPhone not connecting WLAN or the Vw dongle of course when garage have it everything is good.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Had a similar incident a few months back and thought i was going crackers.. the drive "sounded" like it was in sport mode with down shift and everything but was actually in good ol D mode at the time. Didn't last for to long but was really odd I thought.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Little red wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:40 am I am currently experiencing intermittent electrical problems which I know are a bugger to fix. Front assist daily stops and starts. Car went into sports mode for 3 days despite having selected eco. iPhone not connecting WLAN or the Vw dongle of course when garage have it everything is good.
Could this be caused by loose earth wire / points?
(Earth Points not torqued properly.)

The following is just 2 sample pictures from ErWin, but this is what I meant for earth points:
111.png
I have the entire Earth Point document of the AW Polo in pdf format, if you need it feel free PM me your email address.
(I can't upload pdf to this forum.)
Carlblake
New

Post by Carlblake »

Hi there

To add to my misery VW, having the car 2 weeks today, told me when pushed that the car needs a whole new wiring loom and the factory are quoting up to 16 weeks to build and ship it.

So I’m stuck with a ropey seat Leon from enterprise, dealer is trying to let the VW assist take responsibility for hire car.

When I tell them tomorrow I’m keeping it for 16 weeks I’m sure enterprise will be happy but VW assist won’t..

Just don’t know what to do now. To have a fundamental part of the car that should never need replacing let alone on a 1.5 year old car has left me feeling this vehicle is always going to be bad.

VW customer services refer me back to the dealer as the dealer does to VW. They won’t accept liability as I told them I don’t want the car anymore. Does anyone think getting legal advice would be useful?
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Carlblake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:47 pm Hi there

To add to my misery VW, having the car 2 weeks today, told me when pushed that the car needs a whole new wiring loom and the factory are quoting up to 16 weeks to build and ship it.
Hello Carlblake,

What does it mean by "when pushed"?

Do you mean "Push a car to move it a few meter" or "Push start a manual transmission car" or "Drive a car very hard and fast"?

Thanks.
Carlblake
New

Post by Carlblake »

Sorry for the misleading turn of phrase.

When pushed refers to the dealers lack of feedback to me forcing me to keep on at them till they told me a minor repair is now likely to be a 16 week plus repair.

I can see how it must have been confusing though, but having said that as my car is automatic pushing it isn’t even an option for me...

Thanks
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Carlblake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:08 pm Sorry for the misleading turn of phrase.

When pushed refers to the dealers lack of feedback to me forcing me to keep on at them till they told me a minor repair is now likely to be a 16 week plus repair.

I can see how it must have been confusing though, but having said that as my car is automatic pushing it isn’t even an option for me...

Thanks
LOL... Thanks for the reply... :)
Carlblake
New

Post by Carlblake »

I have now had confirmation that the wiring was routed incorrectly in the factory from dashboard to engine causing wiring to rub on metal strut and to strip the outer sheath causing short circuiting.

I am today having a discussion with the VW exec team Fire and Safety officer after it had been deemed to be a hazard.

I think this is justification for a recall.
Carlblake
New

Post by Carlblake »

I also asked VW dealer why it’s taken so long to diagnose and asked for copies of emails and other communications between themselves and VW UK and Germany.

They have refused my request stating as a private company they are not obliged to disclose. But they have a moral duty to not cover up a serious defect for almost two weeks I also think!

By the way cost of the cable is around 3.5k plus two days to fit and cost of my hire car by the end of the 18 weeks, if I’m lucky, is well over 4K.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about your woes with VW. Such a pity they react on the defense but such is the nature of these large corporates who only answer to shareholders. My advice, buy VW shares and then try ask them again :P Failing that get your lawyer involved so he can request the info and after crossing a few hurdles (and not to mention $$$) the info will be no doubt be shared with you and would probably need to sign some kind of NDA.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Carlblake wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am I have now had confirmation that the wiring was routed incorrectly in the factory from dashboard to engine causing wiring to rub on metal strut and to strip the outer sheath causing short circuiting.

I am today having a discussion with the VW exec team Fire and Safety officer after it had been deemed to be a hazard.

I think this is justification for a recall.
Hello Carlblake,

Thanks for the update.

Is it possible for you to share more details with us, such as the location of where is the wire rub on the metal?
It will be better if you can post a photo of the location.

This will help many VW Polo owner to check if their car also have the same potential problem.

Thanks.