Expected facelift for GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
YehaviBourvine
New

Expected facelift for GTI?

Post by YehaviBourvine »

Hello,

Some Polo GTI owner told me that a facelift is expected around March 2020. However, I did not find anything about it while searching the internet. Any idea?

I might buy a new GTI in the coming months.

Thanks, __Yehavi:
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Expected facelift for GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

YehaviBourvine wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:25 pm Hello,

Some Polo GTI owner told me that a facelift is expected around March 2020. However, I did not find anything about it while searching the internet. Any idea?

I might buy a new GTI in the coming months.

Thanks, __Yehavi:
I’d say that a facelift version of the Polo as early as March 2020 is unlikely.

Looking at previous VW model life cycles, the previous generation Polo was launched in 2009 as the 6r, and the facelift version (the 6c) was launched in 2014 - so 5 years after the initial 6r launch. The mk7 Golf was launched in Europe at the end of 2012, and the facelift (mk7.5) model appeared at the end of 2016 - so 4 years after launch.

Unless VW have plans to reduce the life cycle of its vehicles, I wouldn’t expect the facelift version of the Polo to launched as early as March 2020. The current Polo was launched in late 2017 so I’d anticipate we may see the facelift model sometime in 2021.
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

To be fair the current model still looks fresh.... MJ
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Fully LED rear clusters with dynamic indicators like the A1 has would be expected for facelift. Not for a few years though.
mjsaville
Getting There!

Post by mjsaville »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 pm Fully LED rear clusters with dynamic indicators like the A1 has would be expected for facelift. Not for a few years though.
That is a very fair point, highly fashionable at the moment. A1 rear light clusters one of the best features of the car, but you cannot buy a car on lights alone. The front grill and bumper shape is horrendous. Not to mention the upholstery options in U.K. totally limited but strangely the configurator in Ireland has much more choice. MJ
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I know we've discussed this before but I don't understand why manufacturers mix LED with ropey old bulbs. Ruins the aesthetics. The car designer must think so. Saving a few pence, bulb versus LED?!
The GTI+ has the sexy indicators at the front and then some tired old looking bulb at the rear. I'd pay more for total LED.. give the customer the choice.
(I've seen a video on youtube where the rear indicators and cornering lights are switched to LED.)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 pm Fully LED rear clusters with dynamic indicators like the A1 has would be expected for facelift. Not for a few years though.
Personally, I’m not a fan of dynamic indicators - I think they look a bit gimmicky. Others will love them, but it’s good that people like different things, otherwise life would be boring.

Based on the interior design of the forthcoming mk8 Golf, I dare say that as part of a mid life facelift, the Polo will lose pretty much all of its conventional interior buttons and switches and rotary knobs from the dashboard and centre console. IMO, that’s a case of form over function to achieve a ‘clean’ look (but probably cheaper for VW than retaining switches, buttons and knobs), in many instances requiring more effort on the part of the driver to make simple changes.

From a safety perspective, I do struggle to understand why many car manufacturers are forcing touch screens on us to control pretty much all ancillary functions in a car. If you have to aim your finger at a specific part of a touch screen to adjust, say, a car’s heating and ventilation controls while on the move, if you’re unsuccessful in your actions, you’ll probably resort to looking at the screen to adjust the temperature while continuing to drive. IMO that’s not much - if any - safer to do than if a driver were to use a mobile phone touch screen while on the move, which quite rightly is illegal in the UK.

Give me good old fashioned buttons, switches and rotary knobs that are relatively easy to adjust while on the move, without having to divert your eyes from the road ahead, than having to try and touch or swipe a specific part of a screen!
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:15 am
From a safety perspective, I do struggle to understand why many car manufacturers are forcing touch screens on us to control pretty much all ancillary functions in a car.....

Give me good old fashioned buttons, switches and rotary knobs that are relatively easy to adjust while on the move, without having to divert your eyes from the road ahead, than having to try and touch or swipe a specific part of a screen!
Touch screens are just so much cheaper for the manufacturer than knobs and buttons... so the profit margin is higher... all in the name of profit.
Additionaly, it all looks high tech, so customers are willing to pay extra for it. Look at the digital cluster in our Polos. Gauges and needles are so much more expensive then a tablet screen, yet by ordering a digital dash you pay extra... :)
Contrary to popular belief, our safety is not of primary concern.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I just pray VW dont stick the GTI badge in middle of the rear hatch door below the logo in the refresh platform.
The new Golf has it and it looks fugly imho.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Yes!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

All being well, I plan on changing my previous generation Polo GTI for a current model GTI+ next year. Am I worried that a facelift version might be launched within 12 months of me getting my car? Not at all. If a facelift version of the Polo is hit with the ‘ugly stick’ like the new Golf has been (I’m not a fan of the new Golf’s looks at all), then I’ll be very happy with a current version of the Polo GTI+.
mjsaville
Getting There!

Post by mjsaville »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm I just pray VW dont stick the GTI badge in middle of the rear hatch door below the logo in the refresh platform.
The new Golf has it and it looks fugly imho.
Couldn't you just remove it or move it with a hair dryer and some dental floss?

MJ