Chiptuning a leased GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RichTea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo blue GT - 170BHP - 320nm

Re: Chiptuning a leased GTI

Post by RichTea »

I had a box in my blue gt, two big issues with the gear box and something happened to the engine. Everything was repaired under warranty because they didn't detect anything 😉
raiden.white
New

Post by raiden.white »

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RichTea wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:05 pm I had a box in my blue gt, two big issues with the gear box and something happened to the engine. Everything was repaired under warranty because they didn't detect anything 😉

How old is/was your Blue GT? That's last gen, is it not?
RichTea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo blue GT - 170BHP - 320nm

Post by RichTea »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:53 pm
RichTea wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:05 pm I had a box in my blue gt, two big issues with the gear box and something happened to the engine. Everything was repaired under warranty because they didn't detect anything 😉

How old is/was your Blue GT? That's last gen, is it not?
doesn't matter what gen it was they sit can't detect the box. My brothers 2018 r line has a box and has had engine work done under warranty
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It matters if they can detect on ECUs fitted on cars built after 2016 and yours was older than that.

What was the brother's engine issue? If you've got coilpack or spark plug issues, fried sensors, water pump failure or something independent of power derivation, your car won't be under deep scrutiny. Fuel pump or injector issues, turbo boost being higher, overheating without any apparent damage to the cooling components or sensors playing up then you could expect a higher level of scrutiny.

This is a circular argument - you say your brother's 2018 R-line didn't get picked up for having had a box on it. Someone who sells boxes for a living says they can't be detected. Nothing to back it up but someone's word.

I have seen convincing documentation that they can.

As mentioned before, a VW master tech who frequents the Golf GTI forum provided an example Audi Central diagnostic report (from his colleague in the Audi garage from the same dealership group) which highlighted detected implausible logs on a 2017 S4 with catastrophic gearbox failure which were provided as "proof" to deny warranty work.

He went through the report, pointing out the logged values that told a tale (unmodified emissions logs not correlating with the modified fuelling, MAF, boost and torque readings) and advised that VWs built after 2016 were using the same Bosch ECUs and logged variable values in the same way.

Call me crazy, but having read the report that was attached in the thread, I was more likely to believe the technician who has shown the report and no ulterior motive because he just fixes cars that VAG are prepared to pay the bill for after external diagnosis and authorisation to repair is given.

I'm not anti-boxes. I've had 2 in the past, from a time when it was accepted as gospel that they were undetectable. I'd have a JB4 tomorrow if I believed they are still undetectable in the newest wave of ECUs.

I have no confidence that they are, and over the last few years, the big players in tuning box supply have introduced disclaimers on their website, washing their hands of any responsibility should your car develop issues and warranty work is denied on the basis of the modification.

I've no doubt that a Polo GTI+ that wouldn't have drivetrain warranty issues at stock levels should be able to cope easily with 245ps and 370Nm torque - same as stock 2019 Golf GTI PP using same turbo and slightly different variant of the same engine. It should also be just as reliable in the longer term. Going beyond the highest stock tune of that engine/turbo and expecting the same level of long term reliability is a grey area - have the tuners done long term reliability tests on the cars they tune?

If my car has been solidly reliable for 3 years in terms of drivetrain and the warranty is up, I will be be looking to get a box on. If I could get solid evidence that a box of my selection was undetectable, or the tuners would put their money where their mouth is and cover any denied warranty claims, I'd be ordering one right now.

Put a box on your warrantied car if you like, but the possibility of having a claim denied due to proof of or indicated modification is very real.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Our transmission failed out on the road with 2000 miles on the clock it would have been impossible to remove a tuning box. It had to be recovered.

It would have been an expensive repair if we had had to pay.

Why don't you just get a Golf GTi or R?

Apart from which you do not own a lease car, should it be detected I dread to think of the legal position you would be in.