Is it feasible to use a Polo GTI+ on a 70 mile daily commute?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Tiqtaqto
New
Drives: Thinking about a getting a Polo

Is it feasible to use a Polo GTI+ on a 70 mile daily commute?

Post by Tiqtaqto »

Hi Guys,

As the subject line indicates, I have a 70 mile daily commute and I'm going to be upgrading my current car (a Skoda Citigo). I've test driven the Polo GTI+ and it's frankly an amazing experience, though the test car was averaging 26MPG. Do you guys think I'd be able to stretch the GTI+ to match my commute (like filling the tank once a week, so around 45MPG I believe) or should I look elsewhere? Currently it's really the only thing stopping me from going and buying the car haha.

Thanks
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Re: Is it feasible to use a Polo GTI+ on a 70 mile daily commute?

Post by Vonbek2004 »

I've got a GTI+ and on average get 38-40mpg on a daily commute of 30miles. I fill the car weekly aswell. I get an average of 300miles to a tank with a costing of £40-45 (depending where I fill up)

If you reserve pressure on your right foot I found I do get more out of a tank, however floor it around and you will notice you don't get much return.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

Vonbek2004 wrote:I've got a GTI+ and on average get 38-40mpg on a daily commute of 30miles. I fill the car weekly aswell. I get an average of 300miles to a tank with a costing of £40-45 (depending where I fill up)

If you reserve pressure on your right foot I found I do get more out of a tank, however floor it around and you will notice you don't get much return.

Hope that helps.

I have a similar commute to this. Lately my averages have dropped below 35mpg but that is due to heavy traffic and roadworks.

I found high 30s easy if you take it steady

My only comment to the OP is would a diesel suit better for being able to push it and still get 40+ mpg?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Tiqtaqto
New

Post by Tiqtaqto »

monty831 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:30 pm
Vonbek2004 wrote:I've got a GTI+ and on average get 38-40mpg on a daily commute of 30miles. I fill the car weekly aswell. I get an average of 300miles to a tank with a costing of £40-45 (depending where I fill up)

Hope that helps.

I have a similar commute to this. Lately my averages have dropped below 35mpg but that is due to heavy traffic and roadworks.

I found high 30s easy if you take it steady

My only comment to the OP is would a diesel suit better for being able to push it and still get 40+ mpg?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I had a feeling a diesel would probably suit my needs best, but I was just checking to see it I could run the GTI+ without resorting to a smaller engine/diesel.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I currently average 34mpg in my GTI+. That's a little driving around the doors and my mixed 13 mile commute. The commute itself is varied, with 2 miles of heavy congestion in the middle. I go the long way round on the way home (doesn't give an advantage on the way in). To work, I get anywhere between 30 and 38mpg depending on traffic (e.g. school hols are 38mpg, Fris are quiet: 35mpg, other days 33mpg). The way back is free flowing dual carriageway mainly and is consistently 38mpg.

With a change of job soon, I'm facing 31 miles each way on free flowing dual carriageway. I got 46mpg on the way home from my interview, setting off st 4:30pm.

Depending on congestion and how fast you want to go, 45mpg in the Winter is achievable.

On flowing dual carriageway, for a 35 mile trip (I'm assuming your quoted 70 miles is a round trip), if you can maintain 60-70mph through most of it, you'll be pushing 45-50mpg. If its quiet enough (and you're that way inclined) to cruise 80mph most of the way there, you're more likely to be in the high 30s.
Tiqtaqto
New

Post by Tiqtaqto »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:38 pm I currently average 34mpg in my GTI+. That's a little driving around the doors and my mixed 13 mile commute. The commute itself is varied, with 2 miles of heavy congestion in the middle. I go the long way round on the way home (doesn't give an advantage on the way in). To work, I get anywhere between 30 and 38mpg depending on traffic (e.g. school hols are 38mpg, Fris are quiet: 35mpg, other days 33mpg). The way back is free flowing dual carriageway mainly and is consistently 38mpg.

With a change of job soon, I'm facing 31 miles each way on free flowing dual carriageway. I got 46mpg on the way home from my interview, setting off st 4:30pm.

Depending on congestion and how fast you want to go, 45mpg in the Winter is achievable.

On flowing dual carriageway, for a 35 mile trip (I'm assuming your quoted 70 miles is a round trip), if you can maintain 60-70mph through most of it, you'll be pushing 45-50mpg. If its quiet enough (and you're that way inclined) to cruise 80mph most of the way there, you're more likely to be in the high 30s.
Yeah it's a 35 mile trip each way, with 90% of it on dual carriageways. That sounds pretty good, thanks for the info.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's definitely congestion or doing much more than 75mph that'll kill the mpg on a 35 mile stretch.

The GTI engine can run very frugally under low load situations, under the Budack cycle (high effective compression ratio, low fuelling). If your cruising speed on that dual carriageway is 50-70mph, you're going to be spending 20-50% of your time running the Budack cycle - that's when you see you mpg climb into the 40s and even beyond. Highest I've seen is 57mpg for the 12 miles north out of York to where it meets the A19 northbound. From there, sat at 75-80mph for the 75 miles up the A19, the mpg dropped to 46mpg by the end of the trip.

The infotainment display can change to show engine output (kW), boost pressure (Bar) and oil temp (C). From keeping an eye on output, the Budack cycle seems to be happening when the output is less than 20kW. If your cruising speed can keep you under 20kW on the flat and downhill, you will see high mpg for your trip.
Tiqtaqto
New

Post by Tiqtaqto »

Sounds promising then! Will congestion, say a 5-10 minute queue cause problems to the MPG? Thanks again for the info, you've been very helpful.
cdsound
New
Drives: 2020 GTI+

Post by cdsound »

I drive 24,000 miles a year and just picked my GTi+ up yesterday, wish me luck [emoji386]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

cdsound wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:25 am I drive 24,000 miles a year and just picked my GTi+ up yesterday, wish me luck [emoji386]

I made 25000km in year and gas cost me around 10% of whole car price ... :D I was expecting this so I don't care :)
cdsound
New
Drives: 2020 GTI+

Post by cdsound »

[/quote]

I made 25000km in year and gas cost me around 10% of whole car price ... :D I was expecting this so I don't care :)[/quote]

That’s what I’m thinking, I’m lucky to be able to claim 100% of it against my company which is a blessing. Swapped from a 150hp 2.0tdi mk7 Golf GT Estate

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Tiqtaqto wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:21 pm Sounds promising then! Will congestion, say a 5-10 minute queue cause problems to the MPG? Thanks again for the info, you've been very helpful.
That congestion will have an impact on your mpg. My 13 mile commute to work with no congestion in the middle 2 miles (during the school holidays) vs normal (lots of congestion in middle 2 miles) is the difference between 38mpg and 32mpg.

It'll have a smaller impact on a 35 mile journey than a 13 mile journey.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

When required to be in the office I'm on a 70 mile roumd trip, which will be 3 times this week.
Currently most of the motorway miles I do are limited to 50, damn smart motorway works, so when I get past that, I tend to up it to 80.
Today I got an average consumption of 40mpg.
My start and end points are very close to the motorway so no town traffic involved, on and off the motorway at each end.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

My daily commute is mainly M4 and M25 55 Miles each way in a 2018 GTI+

I’m driving to the prevailing conditions and see 45mpg most days and see over 50 from time to time.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Today’s commute, mostly motorway, M4 restricted to 50mph, some stop start traffic, some free flowing motorway. Journey could be done in just over an hour if there was no traffic.
Attachments
B83E0CC8-3A69-44B6-A080-FE91F681A6BE.jpeg