VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.0 TSI 115 SEL 5dr DSG 7 speed what to check

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CLIFFORD2K1
New
Drives: 1.0 115 sel dsg

VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.0 TSI 115 SEL 5dr DSG 7 speed what to check

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

Picking up a VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.0 TSI 115 SEL 5dr DSG 7 speed in energetic orange on Thursday. It’s done 800 miles. Have test drive and obviously drives ok, is there anything in particular I should be checking before taking. Receipt of the car on thurs? Noticed condensation on the drivers side rear light that they are looking at. I’m moving for a 59 plate Passat Cc dsg gt diesel so downsizing
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.0 TSI 115 SEL 5dr DSG 7 speed what to check

Post by SRGTD »

With such a low mileage, I’m assuming the car has most of the three year factory warranty remaining. That being the case, if you find any manufacturing defects after you’ve picked the car up, most of these will be covered under the factory warranty.

I’d focus on checking such things as bodywork blemishes that might have happened since the car was built, such as scratches, parking dings, scuffs to the wheels, damage to interior trim etc, and making sure these are brought to the dealer’s attention before you leave their premises. Again, with the car being so new you’d hope it’s still factory fresh. If you subsequently find any such marks or damage after taking the car home, the dealer could maintain that they were caused after the car left their premises, so spend a little time checking it over - although you may have already done this when you first viewed the car and decided to buy it.

Check that the carpet mats are in the car - they are part of the standard spec on the SEL and it’s not unknown for carpet mats to be missing. Also ensure you get two keys. The SEL has sat nav as standard and I think you should get an SD card to load future map updates, so check with the dealer that a) you should get an SD car and b) it’s present.

Good luck on pick up day. Hope all goes well.
Last edited by SRGTD on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Most important thing would be to check the visually apparent stuff - scuffs/scrapes/dints on the wheels and bodywork. That door/panel gaps are uniform, and that the boot lid almost closes under it's own weight and doesn't need a slam (mine did need slamming, assumed it was normal for a Polo, saw paint chipping after 6 months gives you to report such things and they wouldn't touch it).
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

As said by others, check the paintwork, and make sure things like the over mats are still in the car, look in the boot to see if the spare or space saver and associated jack, wheel brace and locking nut socket are all there. Have a good look at the tyres and alloy wheel for scrapes or cuts. I’m assuming it’s new rather than a pre registered car, but make sure you get what you are expecting.

Finally, unless they are offered at a very good price, don’t buy the dealer Gap insurance, paint protection, alloy and tyre insurance or Smart repair. The dealer with charge around £1500 for these! Gap at VW dealer is usually £499, companies like ALA.co.uk or totallossgap.co.uk charge around £130 for the same and in most case, better cover. These companies also offer wheel and tyre insurance at massively lower prices than the dealer. Don’t listen to the dealer scare stores that other products from these suppliers are not as good. It’s a lie.

Enjoy the car.
CLIFFORD2K1
New
Drives: 1.0 115 sel dsg

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

Thank you for all the reply’s. Being a diesel dog engine owner I’ve been disappointed to read about the gpf issues on other threads. I take it the car I’m getting will be equipped with a gpf?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

CLIFFORD2K1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:36 pm Thank you for all the reply’s. Being a diesel dog engine owner I’ve been disappointed to read about the gpf issues on other threads. I take it the car I’m getting will be equipped with a gpf?
Yes it will.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I don’t think you have issues with GPF on petrols as petrol run a lot hotter then diesels.