Gti+ lead times

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Gti+ lead times

Post by Ima »

Hi all

Thinking of a new vs used gti+ as finance deals are attractive on new but I’m put off by the long lead times. Does anyone know if this is now quicker than the 9 months when I looked last year?
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Re: Gti+ lead times

Post by PO10ASH »

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a Polo GTI+ today and they’ve given me a lead time of July 2020 (6 months).
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The press are currently reporting some car manufacturers having to consider temporarily halting production, due to supply chain issues with Chinese manufactured components (factory closures to try and help contain the spread of the Coronavirus);

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51441344

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51397677

Who knows whether or not this will be a longer term issue and / or the extent to which it might affect production of the Polo in VW’s South African Uitenhage factory? If there is a dependency on supplies Chinese manufactured components for Polo production, then current lead times might well be affected - not just for the GTI+ but for all Polo models.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

With all that in mind, anyone buying anything off the likes of Aliexpress (key loops, paddle shifters, badges - to name but a few things relevant to the Polo threads) may want to douse their package inside and out in spray able disinfectants or alcohol!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I would imagine the current coronavirus will have little to no affect for the Polo as it is manufactured in South Africa and whenever you read offical VW posts about the car they do boast that 80% (I believe) of components are sourced locally so unless any tier 2 suppliers are in China then it should be fine. FYI I ordered mine back in October and was given a 22 week lead time but it looks to be arriving 2 weeks earlier.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 am With all that in mind, anyone buying anything off the likes of Aliexpress (key loops, paddle shifters, badges - to name but a few things relevant to the Polo threads) may want to douse their package inside and out in spray able disinfectants or alcohol!
I read on another forum that someone who’d ordered something from Aliexpress was going to do just that!
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Thanks all for the replies. It looks a long lead time still! I’m not sure my impatient nature could manage that length of time without going crazy 😜 I wonder if any are in the pipeline that could shorten the wait as if not it might be nearly new.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ima wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm Thanks all for the replies. It looks a long lead time still! I’m not sure my impatient nature could manage that length of time without going crazy 😜 I wonder if any are in the pipeline that could shorten the wait as if not it might be nearly new.

Mine was an allocation grab after placing an order through drivethedeal. A large(ish) dealership group in the UK had a few in the pipeline and one of them was a reasonable spec match to my needs rather than them ordering a new one for me. I ended up waiting about 10 weeks (3 weeks before build + 7 weeks to get here).

Saved about 4 months, but paid for a rear camera and satnav I wouldn't have specced myself as they were locked in options on the car.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

My 4 years PCP is up soon (where does the time go), I phoned dealership for a vague, guestimate of delivery times for Mk7.5 & Mk8 Golfs + Polo. Was told "(if factory builds) current MK7.5 Golf: 6 weeks + 8 weeks max for delivery, Mk8 Golf: 8 months or so, Polo 8 - 10 months". Pinch of salt stuff though I need to try cars soon but am leaning away from Mk8 Golf as I don't wish to pay for the privelage of niggle-elimintaing and bascially continuing the shake-down development of a new model. Did that with then newly-launched Mk7 Golf in 2013 and spent the best part of 4 years identifying rattles, initial endless returns to dealership but in the end stuffing tissue paper into panels, so someone will get a surprise one day....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@stevereeves; interesting that the dealer gave delivery times for a factory build mk7.5 Golf. Order books for a mk7.5 Golf have been closed for 4-5 weeks now, so you can’t order a new factory build to your spec; you’re limited to what’a available from dealer stock.

The salesperson you spoke to should’ve known this. I’d be very surprised if you had to wait 6-8 weeks to take delivery of an in-stock mk7.5 Golf; should be no more than a few days, provided one that broadly meets your model/spec and colour preferences can be located within the dealer network.

Just goes to show you can’t always believe what the dealer tells you, and yes, take what you’re told by the dealer with a very large pinch of salt!
stevereeves wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 am
I need to try cars soon but am leaning away from Mk8 Golf as I don't wish to pay for the privelage of niggle-elimintaing and bascially continuing the shake-down development of a new model.
I’d also be leaning away from a mk8 Golf. Aside from not wanting to be an unpaid test driver to identify initial teething troubles and issues for VW, I think VW have done a great job of making it look ugly compared to the mk7 / mk7.5 which IMO is a good looking car. I also don’t like the fact that VW have removed pretty much all the conventional switchgear that’s easy and safe to use, and replaced it with cheap touchscreens that are difficult and potentially dangerous to use when driving. Simple actions like adjusting the heating / ventilation or switching on the rear screen heater should be something that’s safe and easy to do, without diverting the driver’s attention away from the road and road / traffic hazards and having to fumble around a touchscreen. IMO moving to touchscreens makes these actions much less safe.

The touchscreens will no doubt represent a cost reduction to VW compared to conventional switchgear as there are no moving parts. However, the cost to the customer for a replacement if / when a screen fails outside the warranty period would no doubt be fairly significant and anything but cheap.

Apologies for going off topic. In your position, if you’ve narrowed the choices down to a mk7.5 Golf, mk8 Golf or Polo, I’d be looking at either a dealer stock unregistered mk7.5 Golf or a Polo.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

^^ Agreed, Mk7.5 golf or Polo. The Mk8 Golf has grown on me a tad, exterior wise, the interior still looks unfinished & similar to the 'mule' vehicle shown ages ago, the one with the half disassmbled interior & dash with wires everywhere. Can confirm dealer told me Mk7.5 Golfs are still being built but - pinch of salt stuff. Oh, and the old-style VW lighting switch rules :lol: ....
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Forgot to say that the dealer managed to find a GTi in the system that had been ordered but still able to add my options to it. I’m expecting to get it by end of June which looks like a 4 month lead time. More bearable than 6 months but only just :D
PO10ASH
Getting There!

Post by PO10ASH »

Ima wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:00 pm Forgot to say that the dealer managed to find a GTi in the system that had been ordered but still able to add my options to it. I’m expecting to get it by end of June which looks like a 4 month lead time. More bearable than 6 months but only just :D
You lucky sod, I'll be expecting plenty of pictures & 1st impressions on arrival!
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Lol! Let’s see how accurate my dealer is and if it ends up that way knowing we ordered a few weeks apart from each other. Should it come early I will tease you with pictures and a review just to help ease your wait :lol:
PO10ASH
Getting There!

Post by PO10ASH »

Ima wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:04 am Lol! Let’s see how accurate my dealer is and if it ends up that way knowing we ordered a few weeks apart from each other. Should it come early I will tease you with pictures and a review just to help ease your wait :lol:
So, finally got in contact with my dealership today after ordering in Feb, my sales rep got furloughed so haven't heard anything as they're still off but the dealer confirmed I had a week 16 build which was news to me but unfortunately they said the system still says the same build week with no further updates, so looks like it's been delayed.

Ima, have you got any updates? I know we ordered cars weeks apart, so would be interesting to know.