Big Brother makes an Appearence

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Big Brother makes an Appearence

Post by OomStu_ZA »

The Polo's big brother has finally broken cover:
https://youtu.be/LHOeIfUMgEE
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Big Brother makes an Appearence

Post by monkeyhanger »

The MK7 Golf has been beaten with the ugly stick to create the MK8. It's looking more and more like the BMW 1 series.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Certainly don't like the GTI badge at the rear being centred.

Read an article this week saying that all this extra tech being loaded into cars these days was often not understood or was not being used. Possibly an age thing but a fair proportion of responders saying that they simply just get into the car and drive it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:05 am The MK7 Golf has been beaten with the ugly stick to create the MK8. It's looking more and more like the BMW 1 series.
It certainly has. Somehow, by making small evolutionary changes to the exterior, IMO VW have managed to make one very ugly looking car - well done (I don’t think) VW!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:40 am Certainly don't like the GTI badge at the rear being centred.
+1 here
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:12 pm
johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:40 am Certainly don't like the GTI badge at the rear being centred.
+1 here
It’s to remove though as it’s only stuck on.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

These new golfs aren't much of an improvement on the previous mk7 generation as far as powertrain goes except the new GTE but apart from that the only real changes are just appearance. For me it would not make a whole lot of sense to spend the rumoured £35k on a new GTI, just get a previous gen TCR or clubsport. Just my opinion.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:12 pm These new golfs aren't much of an improvement on the previous mk7 generation as far as powertrain goes except the new GTE but apart from that the only real changes are just appearance. For me it would not make a whole lot of sense to spend the rumoured £35k on a new GTI, just get a previous gen TCR or clubsport. Just my opinion.
I think that’s what I’d be doing if I was in the market for a Golf. The new mk8 hasn’t won universal praise over on golfgtiforum.co.uk either, although that’s often the case when a new model is launched.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Really not a fan of this. The GTI logo under the VW logo and in the middle just looks wrong. Have they also changed the GTI logo? It doesn't look as good.

Would much rather the MK7 GTI TCR over this.

Maybe it'll look better in person...
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm Really not a fan of this. The GTI logo under the VW logo and in the middle just looks wrong. Have they also changed the GTI logo? It doesn't look as good.

Yes, they’ve changed the font to make it look more modern. On the non-performance models, the ‘Golf’ badge is in the same font.

Earlier today, one of the forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk said of the new Golf GTI that ‘it just looks like a bigger polo Gti and that is not a looker’. IMO the Polo is a good looking car - much, much nicer than the new Golf. Based purely on looks; mk8 Golf V’s current Polo, I’d take the Polo over the Golf every time.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I have to disagree. The polo and the gti variant are much better looking than the new golf.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

No Geneva motor show to present it to the world.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

S_94 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm Really not a fan of this. The GTI logo under the VW logo and in the middle just looks wrong. Have they also changed the GTI logo? It doesn't look as good.

If you want a new TCR there’s one in the showroom of Breeze VW in Poole :) Wife’s car was in for a service and had a look round it. Didn’t notice the price but I’m sure they’d do a good deal! :D
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Trantor wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 am

If you want a new TCR there’s one in the showroom of Breeze VW in Poole :) Wife’s car was in for a service and had a look round it. Didn’t notice the price but I’m sure they’d do a good deal! :D
Even with a good discount and 0% finance (if the car in question hasn't been registered yet), there's still about £20k to cover from discounted price down to GFV over 3 years - that's £550 a month inclusive of any deposit you might put down. That is just silly money for a Golf, even if it has 290ps.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:04 am
Trantor wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 am

Even with a good discount and 0% finance (if the car in question hasn't been registered yet), there's still about £20k to cover from discounted price down to GFV over 3 years - that's £550 a month inclusive of any deposit you might put down. That is just silly money for a Golf, even if it has 290ps.
Yep. The car is absolutely stunning but it's just way too expensive for a Golf. Think when I was looking in the showroom at the fully spec it was around £40,000. :o

Might be tempted by a second hand one in a couple of years seeing as the chances of getting a MK8 GTI have gone out the window.