New Gti / Gti +

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Re: New Gti / Gti +

Post by steeve »

We're just coming up to a year since we got our GTI+.
Overall it's a great little car, very much in the spirit of the original Golf GTI. It's relatively small on the outside but plenty of room inside. Unlike the Mini's my wife used to prefer. Get the + if for nothing other than the very bright LED headlights. Wish ours had climate but we picked up a cancelled order so only had a months wait for it.
Only problem we have had was a failed transmission which lost us our holiday, although it (thankfully) failed close to home we were on the way to France.
The sevice from VW getting us a temporary replacement was just awful, taking almost a whole day.

I'd honestly prefer a manual, pity it's not available in the UK, but that's a personal preference.

The E888 engine is perhaps one of the best ever made by VW and it's a real peach in this car, handling is very good but the Bridgestone tyres are rubbish, poor in the wet and so damn noisy.
The only two other cars we considered were a Cooper S (5 door) and the Fiesta ST. Wouldnt want a 1.5 3 cyclinder of the Ford so we picked the right one. Sadly Audi are not doing an S1 or we'd go for that.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^Steeve: Still running on the Bridgestones? Should've got rid ages ago. For the sake of £320 (minus what you'd get back for the Bridgestones) you're running a seriously compromised car. VWs decision to fit those is like UsainBolt being made to run in a pair of Dutch wooden clogs.

The sad thing is, most people PCPing will only get rid of the front tyres towards the end of their PCP period and realise how much better the car could've been for the 30 months out of 36 months they've already had it.

If Audi did a new S1 with at least 240ps (or if there's a hotter special edition Polo on the horizon), I'd be all over that if it wasn't silly money. Looking at the "40" designated A1 prices, I doubt you'd see an S1 for less than £30k. That's too much for what it would be as a car.
Alan_p71
New
Drives: 2019 Gti+

Post by Alan_p71 »

Hello everyone, been reading forum for a while now, currently drive 2017 Golf 1.5 tsi (150) evo, had a kangaroo under bonnet since bought and a software update did help a bit but was still there on occasion. Today I test drove a polo gti + (demonstrator) for the first time and loved it. Quite a high spec model with sunroof and reversing camera among usual toys. Never driven a dsg before and will take a wee bit of time to learn but got on well.
Being of middle age the insurance wasn’t a big increase on the golf which was a surprise.
We pick the car up next week and are looking forward to enjoying the sportiness and easy driving comfort the gti offers.

Thanks for reading :lol:

Alan
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ The standard ACC on the Golf and Polo GTI+ does wonders for the insurance premiums. Sometimes you just can't fathom insurance considerations - My MK7 Golf R was £20 a year less to insure than my MK7 Golf GTD.
Alan_p71
New

Post by Alan_p71 »

Yes, insurance is a strange beast. The polo gti + is 10 groups higher than the golf, so was expecting a moderate increase but was pleasantly surprised by what I was told. Happy days, I’m not going to complain.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:14 am ^Steeve: Still running on the Bridgestones? Should've got rid ages ago. For the sake of £320 (minus what you'd get back for the Bridgestones) you're running a seriously compromised car. VWs decision to fit those is like UsainBolt being made to run in a pair of Dutch wooden clogs.

The sad thing is, most people PCPing will only get rid of the front tyres towards the end of their PCP period and realise how much better the car could've been for the 30 months out of 36 months they've already had it.

If Audi did a new S1 with at least 240ps (or if there's a hotter special edition Polo on the horizon), I'd be all over that if it wasn't silly money. Looking at the "40" designated A1 prices, I doubt you'd see an S1 for less than £30k. That's too much for what it would be as a car.
Yes I'd like to change the tyres but as its my wifes car (and both retired) I'm having a difficult job persuading her it's a good idea.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Best done on day 1. Got the wife's tyres swapped out on delivery day for a set off Michelin PS4 which cost me £320. I got £210 for the Bridgestones. Net cost £110.
Alan_p71
New

Post by Alan_p71 »

Hi everyone
Regarding fitting Bosch aerotwin wipers to the polo, I believe they use the same as the golf a26u driver side and a18 u for passenger. The golf needs a number 4 adapter to fit the stalk.
Please if you could, verify if the polo needs the same adapter or does it fit straight onto the stalk.

We get the car tomorrow so I am just looking ahead because the golf wipers were crap too and needed changing.

Thank you in advance.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You need Bosch Aerotwin set A864S (not sure what the individual blade numbers are). Neither the Golf nor Polo require adapters to clip into the wiper arm.
Alan_p71
New

Post by Alan_p71 »

Thanks for quick reply, I have just ordered the wiper pack you mentioned, never seen the twin pack before. Just bought the individual packs of one wiper. live out in the sticks so choice is limited.

Saved myself a tenner doing so as well. :D
Plend
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by Plend »

I've had my new GTI for about a month now and the wipers are doing my head in squeaking all the time, I'll hopefully pick up a set of these Bosch ones soon and get them changed.

I've also got an issue with the brakes squeeling like hell when applied after reversing if the car has been sitting for any lenght of time, hoping thats just them starting to bed in but we will see how it goes.

Main dissapointment with the car is the headlights, why doesnt the GTI come with the DRLs as standard? I've seen headlight replacements but theyre around £700 for a pair.
Does anyone have any decent replacement bulbs to get the headlights a nice bright white?
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

Plend wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm I've had my new GTI for about a month now and the wipers are doing my head in squeaking all the time, I'll hopefully pick up a set of these Bosch ones soon and get them changed.

I've also got an issue with the brakes squeeling like hell when applied after reversing if the car has been sitting for any lenght of time, hoping thats just them starting to bed in but we will see how it goes.

Main dissapointment with the car is the headlights, why doesnt the GTI come with the DRLs as standard? I've seen headlight replacements but theyre around £700 for a pair.
Does anyone have any decent replacement bulbs to get the headlights a nice bright white?
If you want to stay road legal then from memory Philips white Vision are the whitest you can get
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Plend wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm I've had my new GTI for about a month now and the wipers are doing my head in squeaking all the time, I'll hopefully pick up a set of these Bosch ones soon and get them changed.

The brakes on my previous generation GTI used to squeal at slow speeds when the car was new. It stopped fairly soon after I took delivery (from memory, around 2-3 weeks), once they’d bedded in.

The GTi does come with DRL’s as standard; they’re in the bottom outer corners of the front bumper - the same location as on all other current generation Polos, apart from the GTi+ where they’re in the headlamp units.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Hope you're enjoying your GTI !

There is a thread on here about the humming brakes in reverse.
VW knows about it, and people have taken cars back for it to be looked at, with limited success.
I'm at 5500 miles still with the noise ;(

In regards to the squeaky wipers, Bosch ones are much better, but give your windscreen a good decontamination / clean before fitting them.
Most of the contaminants live on the windscreen from the manufacturing process and ship transport.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

fuster
New
Drives: A blue one

Post by fuster »

Had my GTI+ for over a month now. Just had the software fix for the reverse humming issue. Seems to have improved a little. Plus the boot catch adjusted which has now fixed the previous issue. Also switched the wipers to Bosch aerotwins, a vast improvement from the originals.

Having downsized from a MK7.5 R, I find the car very capable and fast enough for my needs. Only thing I wish it had is the electronic handbrake, which was a joy to use in the Golf. Apart from that, I am very happy with the car as I saved some cash from the downsize :D