Seized hand brake cable repair (yet again)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Seized hand brake cable repair (yet again)

Post by JohnF »

Bought, my Polo new in April 18. In October 18 the brake cable was so stiff it was replaced (it was "seized"). In April 19 it had to be replaced yet again for exactly the same problem

It's now due a service and yet again it' needs replacing, so this will be the 3rd time in just 2 years that VW have had to sort this out which thus far they clearly have not done.

Three questions:
1) Has anyone had this recurring problem?
2) Have they modified the cable so it won't seize?
3) What's the best way of approaching my dealer about this?
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Seized hand brake cable repair (yet again)

Post by MattHGR »

Had the same issue. Had it replaced once, and I am about to book it in again as I can barely pull it past 1 click, especially on cold mornings

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that you need to communicate with VW UK about this issue, it might seem okay for them just to keep on replacing it - FOC while under warranty, but after that has run out you will be on your own, so probably now is the time to get a written statement from VW UK concerning the way forward.

They will "happily" just replace it again FOC and consider that they have "done all you could possibly expect" - but going by what you have written, they are not successfully revising the cable assembly or its fitting method, in a way that allows it last for as long as you should expect, I've never ever had to replace a handbrake cable in 45 years of owning mainly 2 cars within our family - many being kept until they are 10+ years old, this is not normal.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I would imagine as it's a VW repair, the repair itself will come with its own warranty even if the car is out of warranty but still worth taking it further.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

stuartrendall wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 am I would imagine as it's a VW repair, the repair itself will come with its own warranty even if the car is out of warranty but still worth taking it further.
Yes, but while that car has say 3 months warranty left, that warranty repair will only carry effectively a 3 month warranty. An out side warranty normal repair will come with the usual 12 months warranty - and if needing another repair to that handbrake cable within that outside warranty repair, it will again only carry the remainder of the initial outside warranty repair.

That is why any owner having issues with repeat warranty "same repairs" needs to find out what VW UK, the official importers of these products, plan to do as time goes on, and if not getting a satisfactory response seek further assistance on how to sort this out under current consumer laws, VW Group will not be the only company having the odd problem with after care of their consumer products.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Oh I see, I was not aware of that. Thank you for educating me :D
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

I shall write to VW forthwith.

The saga continues- having booked my car in for the service, and after mentioning the stiff cable, I requested the car pick up and drop off service. I was informed that they could not provide this service as their driver "wasn't covered" because of this "safety issue"

Interesting then that VW have not issued a safety recall?!

The basic issue is straightforward surely: the cable is badly designed and not fit for purpose.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

JohnF wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:38 pm I shall write to VW forthwith.

The saga continues- having booked my car in for the service, and after mentioning the stiff cable, I requested the car pick up and drop off service. I was informed that they could not provide this service as their driver "wasn't covered" because of this "safety issue"

Interesting then that VW have not issued a safety recall?!

The basic issue is straightforward surely: the cable is badly designed and not fit for purpose.
Either VW consider you expendable, or they should suggest that the complimentary VW breakdown service picks your "unsafe" car up.